Bent prop shaft 2021 250 pro

Guys looks like I have a slight bent prop shaft on my 2021 250 v8 mercury with the TM2 lower unit. Sorry I’m not close to my motor to post the serial numbers of my engine. I brought it to my dealer and he is removing the shaft from the lower and going to have the shaft straightened. I have had this done on my old Etec without issues but I did read somewhere where the torque master shaft can’t be straightened. Please advise. Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NO. You don't straighten shafts on gearcases that are still under warranty (ANY signs of impact are grounds for warranty claim denial).

Gearcase must be repaired back to FACTORY SPECS, with only NEW/OEM components.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Mr. Don no signs of damage to the prop at all looks brand new. Mercury denied the claim. What now ?yes my engine is still under warranty it has 26 hours on it. I’m 100. % sure the shaft was bent when I bought the boat but can’t prove it. This repair is out of my pocket.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkj5 View Post
    Thanks Mr. Don no signs of damage to the prop at all looks brand new. Mercury denied the claim. What now ?yes my engine is still under warranty it has 26 hours on it. I’m 100. % sure the shaft was bent when I bought the boat but can’t prove it. This repair is out of my pocket.
    Did you own the engine since it was new? The dealer confirmed no visible marks on the prop or lower unit, and Mercury still denied the claim?

I just bought the boat. Literally ran it 15-20 minutes got it home my buddy was spinning the prop and noticed the shaft had a-little wobble to it. I brought it back to dealer. Like I said I hit nothing the prop looks like it was just taken out the box. I’m pretty sure It was already bent but I can’t prove it. I talked to the service guy yesterday and he was the one suggesting they pull it and have it straightened 600 for that or 900 for a new shaft installed.

6. Member
    Was there any vibration while you were running?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    Was there any vibration while you were running?
    No sir not that I could tell

8. Member
    What Don is saying is you must replace it with NEW parts for the warranty to continue on the related or even semi-related parts. If you don't Merc will quickly wash their hands of any future claims. Bite the bullet and get the shaft/seal(s) replaced with oem new parts.
    My guess is someone might have used the shaft to support the motor during rigging. But, you wouldn't be able to prove that either.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkj5 View Post
    I just bought the boat. Literally ran it 15-20 minutes got it home my buddy was spinning the prop and noticed the shaft had a-little wobble to it. I brought it back to dealer. Like I said I hit nothing the prop looks like it was just taken out the box. I’m pretty sure It was already bent but I can’t prove it. I talked to the service guy yesterday and he was the one suggesting they pull it and have it straightened 600 for that or 900 for a new shaft installed.
    Did the dealer remove the prop and put a dial indicator on the prop shaft and measure the run out? If not, and if the dealer and your friend just noticed some prop wobble, I would measure the shaft runout, and / or install another prop and hub. It is possible some of that "wobble" you saw might just be due to a poor fitting prop and hub, or the wrong hub. Can you move the prop forward and backward or twist it sideways slightly with the prop shaft stationary?

Yes sir prop removed and it is bent. I just called them and told them I wanted a new shaft and seal for warranty issues the guy said I didn’t think of that. Sounds like the dealer I got is not very smart.

11. Member
    i hit a stump once and it ruined my prop shaft and lower unit BUT the prop was brand new (first time used) and it still looked brand new
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    Keep all the paperwork and receipts for proof !
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I will say that in a situation such as this- not only is the gearcase repaired with OEM components, it's also shimmed to OEM specification, and precise shimming measurements (final) are recorded on the Service Invoice for future reference.

The propshafts in this particular gearcase are quite commonly measured as .001" or less runout from the factory- and they're a real booger to shim if there is ANY discernible runout.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Could have been damaged when it was shipped.. I'd just ask them to do the work and ask for a 12 month warranty on the LU. Although it won't have the factory warranty, it's better than nothing if they say yes. Other than that, time to get GEICO on the line