Tracker valve seat on the fuel rail a little chewed up. OT737852

The purple tracker diaphram looks ok. But the seating area is a lttle chewed up. Can a smooth this out with a dremel? Or are these rails doomed? Will post pick as soon as i can

2. Member
    Heres the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like damage from phase separation of E10, I would trash the rails as there is probably a lot more damage that cannot be seen. May have already damaged the direct injectors.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Sorry. Betting against the fuel problem. Previous owner only used ethanol free, all screens in the vst are clean so are the injector screens. The tracker valve is purple. Does that indicate replacement? The cover shows a little bit of “blowout” in the same spot

5. Member
    This engine was used in salt/brackish water.

6. Member
    The symptom of this engine was “it runs, but runs rough”
    1. Compression test…all good
    2. Air compressor, turns by hand, no noises, strainer looked good (this engine was maintained pretty well) suck and push test…good
    3. tracker (rough seat edge, but perple tracker rubber looks like new
    4. Fuel injectors, pulled three of them, all screens clear, end of the injectors look like new
    5. air injector, little bit of carbon loading, but not bad
    6. spark plugs, pretty carbonized and needed replacement
    7. reed valves, inside the air intake there was a snall pool of oil (see pic)
    8. fuel regulator valve, a little bit of “green silicone plastic outside the valve cover (see pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    Vst was very clean, so was the screen on the high pressure pump.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Since there's a chunk of the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm hanging out of the cover... you've got bigger problems.

The STB rail (at a minimum) will have to be replaced. The Fuel Pressure Regulator Diaphragm as well.

Inspect the hose connections at the BOTTOM of the rails. If they are pitted or corroded- the rails are trashed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Hose connections are not pitted. Yes. The fuel regulator was a hack job. Hey, at least we found why it was running so badly! My $800 opti project might get out of this pretty cheap! Btw my compressor model number is 8319988a27

10. Member
    Back to that optimax from 99 that is down the road from me. Are all of the fuel rails the same? Sorry i dont have a serial number for that engine. It wore off

11. Member
    And before i forget. Thanks don.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No... NOT all of the fuel rails are the same.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor