V8 Pro XS 4Stroke Winterization Clarification....

2019 250 Pro XS Serial #2B531827

Good day all, just looking for some clearity on weather or not these motors need to be "fogged." I'm reading mixed reviews... do I put some motor oil down the cylinder or not? Do I add some oil in the fuel? Is there a specific product for these motors?

Thx

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can be done either way. I personally prefer in the fuel (connect right to the inlet side of the fuel filter), as it helps to lubricate the fuel pumps.

"Squirt the oil in" method has a high probability of O2 sensor damage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Can be done either way. I personally prefer in the fuel (connect right to the inlet side of the fuel filter), as it helps to lubricate the fuel pumps.

"Squirt the oil in" method has a high probability of O2 sensor damage.

Thanks for the info.... how would I make this connection??

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unplug the current fuel line, slip a temporary line from your "winterizing" tank over the nipple of the filter (with a suitable clamp to prevent leakage).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Unplug the current fuel line, slip a temporary line from your "winterizing" tank over the nipple of the filter (with a suitable clamp to prevent leakage).
    Im sorry I'm still a little confused? The fuel filter line has a quick disconnect. Is there a photo or diagram that can assist me.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I could take one, but it's really quite simple. Remove the quick disconnect coming into the filter.

There's a barb left where the disconnect was. Slide a line over it with a temporary clamp to supply "winterizing" fuel.

7. Member
    For the purposes of others doing their own winterization... I dug out my Mercury manual and it does say to spray 30ml of foging spray down each cylinder and cycle the motor to distribute the oil.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass_boat_boy View Post
    For the purposes of others doing their own winterization... I dug out my Mercury manual and it does say to spray 30ml of foging spray down each cylinder and cycle the motor to distribute the oil.
    That's what I do. Just did mine this morning.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke