Question Tempest Plus loses grip, slips when going from holeshot to on pad, trimmed out...

Almost every time I go from standstill to holeshot to on-pad and trim up of course during that process, my Tempest Plus will slip or lose grip and run higher RPMs for a given speed. I fidget and fight with lowering RPM and trim and sometime during that process it will "hook up" and then I am good for the rest of the ride.

2021 Ranger RT198P, Merc 150 4S, 5.5" CMC manual plate, 22p Tempest Plus worked by Croxton, 4" PTP, all PVS holes plugged, holeshot is great. This boat does not bow lift much at any point not even WOT/max trim or at holeshot... it breaks over almost immediately.

This tendency was worse before Mark worked the prop. He B&B'ed and added some cup.

I cannot find a sequence of throttle and trim that helps me consistently avoid this problem.

Anybody?
    Last edited by Johnnyred; 11-01-2022 at 06:34 AM.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

2. Member
    Where is your transducer mounted? Asking because I had similar problems. My transducer was causing cavitation. Not saying this is your problem but its worth looking at.

DSCN5236.JPG
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

3. Member
    I BELIEVE I WOULD TRY A 4 BLADE. START WITH YOUR CURRENT PITCH AND GO FROM THERE. MY ONLY ADVICE IS IF YOU DO, STAY AWAY FROM A FURY 4. THEY ARE NOTORIOUS FOR SLINGING EARS

4. Member
    Have you tried moving or removing your transducer? I had a similar issue with my 22 tempest and mark suggested this to me. Poof problem solved. Just an idea.

5. Member
    A simple way to check is unbolt the transducer and zip tie it somewhere out of the way and go run it.

6. Member
    Try a Bravo XS. I love mine and you will never lose bite no matter how high you've got it. Or lower your jackplate a 1/4" to 1/2" with the tempest.
    Last edited by Capt James; 11-01-2022 at 11:35 AM.

7. Member
    Some housecleaning:

1) My prop-to-pad with the Tempest is 4" not 3.5" like I originally stated. I changed it above. I don't think this is the problem as I have run it deeper and shallower than this with very little change in grip performance. Or at least when I run the prop much deeper the RPMs and speed dropped so much that it did not matter what happened to grip.
    2) I have a 23p Bravo 1 FS that I run at 3.5" PTP that does NOT slip and lose grip while trimming up like the Tempest does. It could run higher but I lose water pressure above 3.5" PTP.
    3) I ran the RT198p with no jackplate the first year of ownership and the Tempest did the same thing w/o the plate. So it does not seem setback is the cause.
    4) I have my transducer pretty far to the right of my prop. Importantly, it is well above the level of the bottom of the transom. I ran the boat without the transducer a long time ago and my memory is that removing it did not help the grip lose with the Tempest. But I may revisit this experiment.

8. Member
    So if I read it right .. you have a 4 blade bravo 23p that does not slip? The guys smarter than me will chime in but, if you can run that 23 p 4 blade you should be running a 24 tempest if you're going 3 blade.
    Theres your issue I think.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    So if I read it right .. you have a 4 blade bravo 23p that does not slip? The guys smarter than me will chime in but, if you can run that 23 p 4 blade you should be running a 24 tempest if you're going 3 blade.
    Theres your issue I think.
    No, the Bravo 1 FS is made to run one pitch taller than a Tempest. How that breaks out in the real world for me is the Tempest hits my 5800 rpm limit this time of year (w/o tripping an alarm) and the Bravo will hit maybe 5650 rpm and 1-2 mph slower. The Bravo numbers are from the Spring I plan to run those again soon.

10. Member
    I will start by saying I do not have the same boat as you so my experience with the Tempest could be different.

I have run a few different Tempest plus on my boat and all of them start to blow out on break over. The only thing I can do to help it is a lift of the throttle and trim adjustment and hammer it back down. Mine starts hooking up pretty fast if I do that. I think it is just the nature of the prop on certain hulls. If you can't get it to work I would swap to either a Fury 3 or run the Bravo if you want a 4 blade.