Thread: Mercury 2+2

Mercury 2+2

04 125 ELPTO
    serial 0T800609
    just had this motor out for first time since purchased. I have changed all fuel lines, primer bulb and filter. Runs and idles excellent. Only issue is after sitting an hour or so I have to always put throttle in fast idle to get motor to start. Is this normal , if not where should I start to repair it.
    thanks

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biskitboy View Post
    04 125 ELPTO
    serial 0T800609
    just had this motor out for first time since purchased. I have changed all fuel lines, primer bulb and filter. Runs and idles excellent. Only issue is after sitting an hour or so I have to always put throttle in fast idle to get motor to start. Is this normal , if not where should I start to repair it.
    thanks
    Mine does the same thing. My old 88 3 cyl 75 never needed it, but my 125 does

3. Member
    open air mix screws on top 2 carbs 1/8 -1/4 turn try it ,gets worse go other way
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Engine level or slightly trimmed up helped mine
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Posts #3 and #4 will both apply.

Post #3 is often the key, and necessary based on the unpredictable "fuel" we see today.

Don't forget to pump the primer bulb firm before EVERY engine start.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I have a 2002 and it likes to be level when started, any trim and it's hard to start.

7. Member
    I bought mine new in 1998. It's been that way since the day I got it. It's second nature now to make sure it's level or slightly trimmed up every time you stop. My guess is when trimmed too far down and sits a while, fuel gets into the cylinders and floods it slightly. That's purely a guess on my part though.