Thread: Mohawk river

Mohawk river

I live near Syracuse but I work in Albany and Hudson Valley areas a few times a month. So I drive by the section between Canajoharie and Amsterdam often. I assume there must be a ramp near Canajoharie. Even father east is better assuming there is no issue locking between pools once they fill it back up.

is this mostly a smallmouth fishery?

2. Member
    Ya it’s mostly smallmouth down that way. Once you get past St Johnsville the river gets better fishing, the closer to Albany you get, the better the fishing is. But the fishing pressure increases too.

Rome-Utica is decent but not great, a few local clubs used to have tournaments out of there. Frankfort to Little Falls barely gets much fishing pressure. I live in this section and barely fish it but I know quite a few guys who do and they’ve done well at times.

St Johnsville to Canajohaire can be great. I’ve fished a few tournaments out of the St Johnsville village ramp and typical weight is around 15lbs to win. We’ve had some years where we had 20-30 fish days, and others we never got a limit.

Theres a ramp in Fort Hunter (schoharie crossing boat launch) that the Susquehanna bass club uses for tournaments. This year it looked tough, just under 13lbs won it, more than half didn’t catch a limit.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Thank you for the info. It looks so appealing but I rarely see anyone fishing. I have to wonder if the draw down effects the area. Do you think that the draw down is so significant that it is detrimental to the fishing in that section?

4. Member
    Down towards Albany gets hit pretty hard haha

the only bad part of the drawdown is some ramps become unusable due to low water. But the fish don’t seem to mind one bit. Not a lot of people fish the canal system out this way as there’s a stigma with it being “dirty”.

There’s still plenty of water this time of year though. It’s not a great fishery, but it can have some bright days. I’ll put it this way, I live within 10 min of 3 ramps, and I might fish it once a year. but I’ll make the hour drive to Onondaga just to fish the Seneca river.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    I fish that 3 river system pretty often. There are a few ramps within a 15 minute ride for me. Some parts are pathetic while others are great. Onondaga produces, obviously. Thanks for the info. I may still try to fish there when the system is filled back up. I like to fish new places. I’m also like to whip around a crank bait around. That places looks setup for cranking.

6. Member
    The lock 10 boat ramp is 2 miles from exit 28. The best area in the entire system to launch and fish. In that area there are A LOT of 2-4lb up to a few a season 5-7lb Walleye and of course good numbers of smallies up to 4lbs with avg 2.5-3lb. I only catch a few over 4lb per season.