Unhappy Ghost Remote Issue

Just got my new Ghost (yay!). I also bought one of the small remotes. I followed the pairing directions, matched it up with the trolling motor and only the steering keys worked but not the prop speed up/down buttons. Reset the remote by taking the batteries out and putting them back in. Now, I can put the remote in pairing mode but when I turn on the Ghost the red light quits blinking and it won't come back on despite holding down the left/right arrow keys on the remote. When I try to start with the Ghost off, initiate pairing on the remote, again the red light quits as soon as I turn on the Ghost. The remote won't initiate pairing even when I try to pair starting with the Ghost on to begin with. Needless to say it's not paired anymore and won't work. Must have gotten a dud. Anyone else having issues with the remote?

2. Member
    I had similar issues. I ended up having to do a reset on the ghost to clear the memory. It’s been a long time so don’t remember how to do it, but if you call Lowrance they can walk you through it. Also make sure you firmware is up to date.

3. Member
    Your device remains paired even if you take the batteries out of the remote. You are trying to pair an already paired device. You must reset the ghost in order for it to recognize the paired device again.

Exactly what the others have stated, you will need to do a factory reset on the Ghost. Just had this issue today myself. Only takes a minute but you will need re-do any setup ie bow ie any calibration, button setup, etc. after.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Exactly what the others have stated, you will need to do a factory reset on the Ghost. Just had this issue today myself. Only takes a minute but you will need re-do any setup ie bow ie any calibration, button setup, etc. after.
    Yup. Called Lowrance tech who sent me the directions for resetting the Ghost, paired it again with the remote and now it works as advertised...However, I cannot start the Ghost prop with the remote. I have to have it running in constant mode or on a trail, at which time it will respond to the Up/Down speed control on the remote. Steering and anchor modes work too. Not sure why it won't respond from a dead stop though.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgreig2 View Post
    Yup. Called Lowrance tech who sent me the directions for resetting the Ghost, paired it again with the remote and now it works as advertised...However, I cannot start the Ghost prop with the remote. I have to have it running in constant mode or on a trail, at which time it will respond to the Up/Down speed control on the remote. Steering and anchor modes work too. Not sure why it won't respond from a dead stop though.
    Update: I called Lowrance tech help today and confirmed that the remote will not start the prop. It will only increase or decrease an already-running prop. Bummer. I could do that with my Ultrex remote. Oh well, maybe they can put that on a user wishlist.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgreig2 View Post
    Update: I called Lowrance tech help today and confirmed that the remote will not start the prop. It will only increase or decrease an already-running prop. Bummer. I could do that with my Ultrex remote. Oh well, maybe they can put that on a user wishlist.

mine starts and stops prop/motor.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
    mine starts and stops prop/motor.
    I called again and was told the remote would not start the motor from scratch. You have to be in either constant-on or following a route and then it will increase/ decrease the speed eventually down to 0%. Can anyone else confirm that your remote will start the Ghost prop?

9. Member
    My remote does not start my motor. If I have the motor in anchor lock then it will start just fine.

10. Member
    As I recall, my remote will only work to speed up or slow down the prop speed if I am in any type of program or autopilot mode. If my prop is not already spinning, I don't recall being able to start the prop spinning from a dead stop (stop meaning prop not spinning).
    ciao,
    Marc

11. Member
    My remote will not turn on/off the prop.

Marc, can you use the remote to slow the prop to zero speed than increase and decrease, going from a ultrex im really disappointed in the remote functions. As a guide I need to be able to control the TM from anywhere on the boat.
    im ready to throw the ultrex back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    As I recall, my remote will only work to speed up or slow down the prop speed if I am in any type of program or autopilot mode. If my prop is not already spinning, I don't recall being able to start the prop spinning from a dead stop (stop meaning prop not spinning).

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Marc, can you use the remote to slow the prop to zero speed than increase and decrease, going from a ultrex im really disappointed in the remote functions. As a guide I need to be able to control the TM from anywhere on the boat.
    im ready to throw the ultrex back on.
    I don't use my remote often enough to remember its full capabilities, and I don't like to state anything I haven't personally verified...so until I get a break in the Washington rain I won't be able to answer your question. However, as a guide you should really prefer the Ghost over the Ultrex for controlling the boat by networking the Ghost to all your Lowrance units by NMEA. I controll my Ghost from my console unit auto pilot menu even while using my underwater video camera to search for fsh. An article I wrote about doing this was just published in the current issue of Western Bass magazine:

Seeing is Believing
    https://storage.westernbass.com/mag_...e66/index.html
    ciao,
    Marc

Thanks Marc,
    I can see that Lowrance and the ghost full potential is with NEMA though the units and apps and the remote is more of a jog feature.
    I've watched a few of your videos �� as well as other, Lowrance HDS and ghost and active target.
    I'm having a few issues with uploading updates and getting everything flowing correctly, I get there, time on the water and using the units and discovering new thing every day.
    I've yet to tear it off the boat and put the ultrex back on, but being able to control with the ultrex remote from anywhere in the boat and off the boat standing on the dock is surely missed.

15. Member
    If I were in SoCal I would be glad to help you with your update issues on the water...I haven't fished Castaic since 1990 (I used to fish the afterbay long before anyone and was responsible for getting it opened to boats).

Maybe Lowrance will upgrade the remote in the future...
    ciao,
    Marc

16. Member
    You should be able to start & stop the prop by tapping the prop button (hold to set anchor lock). It works for me.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiNuts View Post
    You should be able to start & stop the prop by tapping the prop button (hold to set anchor lock). It works for me.

Yep, a short tap starts and stops the prop, verified today.

18. Member
    Don’t know what may be different about mine, bought it in 20 or 21? But I just checked it and from a dead start my remote will engage/ run the prop.
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com