Oh boy another boat project :). Ghost install and Live's.

So, most probably saw my posts in the upgrade and fortrex threads - short version, I have decided to upgrade from my Fortrex to a Ghost w/360 Nose Cone. Got most of the work done today, but had to stop as I did not realize the Ghost has 8ga wiring - expected 10ga like MK and did not have the correct connectors :(. Nothing avail locally at the BB hardware stores except the standard "consumer grade" ring connectors, so I grabbed those in 8ga so I could at least connect and test everything, and have the proper tinned lug connectors coming tomorrow.

So, I was kind of limited in how far I could go since I'll need to change out the power connections under the bow panel tomorrow. But I did get the TM and 360 nosecone installed, connected everything to test, and am now just waiting. Tomorrow will replace the connectors and get the bow units back in place and re-install AT, etc.

Only thing (other than connector snafu) issue I have is for the heading sensor - the "usual" location of on the deck forward and under the TM bracket may not work for me, as it appears to be a blind cavity best I can tell. I will empty the rod locker tomorrow and take a look, but I didn't see a path from the bow panel side at first glance. I can always put it ahead of the bow units on that small shelf, but that does put it closer than 2ft to the TM head. Not sure it really matters, when stowed I won't be using the heading sensor, and when deployed it will be more than 2ft away of course...

So where is everyone putting their heading sensors on the ZX's?

I may need to tweak the storage strap location also, will know more once I re-install the AT 'ducer.

It's definitely wider than the Fortrex... had to switch from the standard BBT dual stack to the offset version, and even then I had to shift the Live12 over a bit still. But was able to mock it up so am pretty much ready to go once I swap out the power connectors.

And another little nugget, I was able to upgrade my Carbon/Gen 3 to a pair of Live 12's Console looks so much sweeter with Matching Live's

2. Member
    You guys and your crazy toys. Hope everything works awesomely for you.

3. Member
    While you're doing upgrades, don't forget to upgrade pickup truck to a F150....
    2016 ZX250

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raven7usa View Post
    While you're doing upgrades, don't forget to upgrade pickup truck to a F150....
    Worst idea ever lmao.

Got the correct lugs installed, cleaned up the wiring, just need to figure out where to mount the heading sensor. I don't really see any way to mount it anywhere except on the pad in front of the graphs, unfortunately. That is last step really, other than running the AT transducer cable. Also picked up a switch to go inline on the yellow wire so I can switch off AT when not in use.

6. Member
    My heading sensor is mounted right about where your up pp button is, next to gunnel. I moved my pp buttons down a little bit and put one on each side of foot control. I tried the dual 12’s at the console but was too much trouble getting my fat arse in and out of the seat. The left unit stuck out in the walk way too much for me. But, you’re prob younger and had 3 less back surgeries than me.

Getting pretty close... ready to put in the water tomorrow and do some testing... TM cable routing etc may need to be tweaked, and need to check depth/AT transducer location etc stuff like that. And confirm the heading sensor location, going to test it in a few spots before committing to drilling a 5/8" hole in the deck.

Split my PP buttons back to one on each side, a bit annoyed however because I had them set this way originally and the right/down is offset back a bit due to having a carbon 9 at the time which was mounted lower and any further up made it tough to get to it... but now with the 12's there is plenty of room. So I will likely move it forward to match up with the left/down button, if I keep the split setup.

And I think I mentioned I added a Blue Sea toggle switch for the AT yellow wire, so can turn of AT entirely when not in use. I know Stop Sonar is supposed to stop it, but I can still hear my transducer clicking even after stopping AT. Not sure what it is actually doing, but now I can just keep the whole setup off when I'm beating banks, grinding through weeds etc.

Only hiccup so far really is the Remote won't go into pairing mode for some reason, so sending it back and getting another one. <EDIT> Think I fixed this, needed to do a reset on the TM... apparently a common issue. Will test on water tomorrow.

Also my PP bracket/R&R ladder arrived - I had pulled the stock one when when I added the 2nd PP since there was no way to mount it at the time, plus it was in pretty bad shape, so just decided to replace it with the 3 peg version and PP bracket... Being older and heavier figured best to get this back on the boat lol...

Last edited by 78Staff; 11-06-2022 at 09:20 PM.

So put it in today to do calibration, setup and testing etc... Very impressed. And very happy. I was wrong about spot lock, I'll admit. Definitely found it useful today even in shallower water. Also very happy with the 360... have wanted that since I got the boat, and can't wait to use it more. Used the remote as well, pretty handy, glad I bought it. Esp useful when on constant and can just tap the button for slight course adjustment. No more bending over to turn on constant woohoo

Haven't gotten into more advanced route following or contour following or stuff like that, mostly today was just checking everything out making sure all worked etc. Pedal feel is definitely different, will take some getting used to. Also pedal position, ie flat when heading strait ahead is not what I am used to - with the Cable Steer Fortrex you could adjust the pedal position by turning the head/cables, and I preferred running the pedal a bit tip up when running strait, but not sure you can adjust that on the Ghost pedal.

Will hang on to the Fortrex just so I have a spare, as the market on those has pretty much bottomed out anyway.

Now that I have the more efficient TM, I can look at 50ah lithium's I think instead of worrying about 50/100 :).

Oh and the AT switch worked great too. Able to turn AT completely off so don't have to worry about stopping sonar or if I forgot to etc... Esp today since I never used AT was just playing with the Ghost, 360, and SS/DS...

9. Member
    Glad you made the right choice, think you will find you use it a lot. I have spot and a pole, but I now try and always run shore into the wind and the second I find good area or hook a fish spot lock is hit. Never have to worry about the boat swinging round, and faster and easier than the pole. I only use the pole if I’m going down wind or current.

10. Member
    Where did you get the PP bracket and new ladder from? I am in the same boat as I don't have a ladder on mine from when a second pole was installed. Really should get one back on the boat.
    2016 Skeeter ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by johnwrottman View Post
    Where did you get the PP bracket and new ladder from? I am in the same boat as I don't have a ladder on mine from when a second pole was installed. Really should get one back on the boat.
    Ordered from Drewcraft, also a board sponsor - https://drewcraft.com/product-category/boat-ladder/

You can order just the bracket if you still have the original ladder, or a bracket and ladder like I did, they have both 2 step and 3 step versions.