Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Changed lifestyle after serving

When I was discharged, I didn't really notice how my lifestyle had changed. This was kind of a gradual realization and the biggest thing that I became aware of was, I no longer wanted to wear a watch, have anything hanging around my neck, sleeping with all of my clothes on. After carrying more than just an Alice pack for far too long and being wet from sweat and rain. I can't sleep with anything on !! I'm free! Does this make sense to any of you? I still feel the same, after over 55 years!
    Last edited by Crestliner16; 10-27-2022 at 05:55 PM.

I used to sleep naked for years after I got out but now, I have trouble sleeping in not in sleep pants and t shirt.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    The guys I was in the army with said they would never wear or have anything green again!! LOL

4. Member
    That's a good one! Green is one of my favorite colors. I certainly understand that. I've caught some nice bass on a green crank bait.

I tell you what...I am never going to use a razor again!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

6. Scraps
    I think it makes alotta sense. Kinda neat that you realized the impact.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    i will never stand in line for food again even over 50 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    If you've ever read The Duffleblog you'll get the humor in it. But a few weeks ago they posted a story along the lines of the VA announced a new regulation that says you don't have to grow a beard upon separation from the military.

I rarely wear anything black, and refuse to wear anything camouflage.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    I tried that for awhile but my beard is so grey it puts about 20 years on me...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

10. Member
    I got out in 04 after almost 12 years. For roughly 6 months I still did PT until I realized I didn't "have" to do PT anymore. About 10 years ago I decided to grow my hair out so I could donate it to Wigs for Kids, I donated about 13". Around the same time I decided to stop shaving, I've got a long grey beard now. I use my desert boonie hat as my fishing hat and my desert Gortex stays on the boat in case it rains. I also use my woobie every night.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

11. Member
    I have been out for 16 years, I still have to zip my jacket to 3/4 the up…..can’t wear it unzipped, also I can’t eat wearing a hat…..

lol...we're all institutionalized.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

13. Member
    I was in touch with three of the guys I served with for quite a while each one had little things that they were not really aware of until I brought it up! We thought it was kind of funny. I was the guy they talked to after things went sideways. I wasn't the all knowing,it was my sense of responsibility to be there and add some levity to diffuse the anxiety and stress.I'm still that way,but I struggle with anxiety and stress that came to haunt me after a serious accident at work in 2014. It took five years to make some headway. But I've always been a work in progress!!

14. Member
    Others have mentioned the hat thing at the dinner table. That bugs me, too. We went on a cruise several years ago, when assigned tables and dress codes were still suggested for dinner. There was a guy at the next table over who wore a ball cap every night to dinner and never took it off. I have to admit it bugged me a little. Mom and the Army drilled that one into me. I still feel funny even keeping my hat on indoors.

My gig-line is always straight.

15. Member
    Gig line I didn’t realize I was doing that as well

16. Member
    Many times I can tell if someone served especially if they are in a store. They walk with a purpose and know what they are looking for. Confident and purpose!

Nam '67 & '68. In the Rivers moving Seals in and back out. All our Op's were from Dusk to Dawn. Spooky and Stressful !! It took a long time to be able to sleep at night. Many times quiet going in, but many times a Fire Fight coming back out ! PTSD/Agent Orange, yeppers !! I still get an "Alert" feeling when I run the boat up a river, but it calms me. Strange I know. Seeing some of the "New" young generation and the way they look and act irritates me to no end !! And most have little to no RESPECT. The Country is not the same anymore. Sad............
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

18. Member
    I still trim my mustache to regs, take my hat off at the dinner table like everyone should, still keep my hair short, and OMG just realized my gig line is straight as well. LOL 1995 seems like a life time ago.

19. Member
    Army, Airborne, 73-‘76. No hats indoors, gig line straight, if I’m wearing pants I’m wearing a belt. If I’m wearing a shirt with tails they are tucked in and if I roll up my sleeves its done military style. I had a mustache from the time I went in until the early ‘90s. My kids were amazed when I finally shaved it off! They never knew I had an upper lip until then. Funny how this thread triggered so many memories. We practiced rappelling with non-locking D rings. Who has time for a locking ring when you are being shot at? I still to this day use mine as a key ring and literally panic if I misplace it, and not because of the keys!
    2013 Stratos 189vlo
    2013 150hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS 1B964117

I have two carabiners in my truck and still keep 550 cord and 100mph tape in there too.
    2016 Nitro Z21

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast