ZX225 24v vs 36v TM

So, upgrading my Fortex to the Ghost, which opens up option for using 24v or 36v. Since I plan to upgrade to Lithium batteries in the near future, this did peak my interest. Since the Ghost is 109lbs at 24v, which is dang close to the 112 I have now with Fortex/36v if the numbers are correct - seems like going to 24v would not be an issue.

Going with 2 100ah lithiums is obviously a cost savings, over 3 100ah for sure, and over 3 50/60ah as well. Also opens up room in bilge if I decided I wanted a dedicated electronics battery. Or, I could start with two 100ah, try 24v and if it doesn't work out, add the 3rd 100ah battery I suppose.

I spend most time when actually fishing between 10-40 on the Fortex, depending on wind and current... only using anything faster ie up to 60-70 or so if I am trying to move quickly around/to another area that's not really far enough away to crank up the big motor. Rarely if ever go about 70 or 80, and if I do it's for a short time maybe trying to bust through some grass/weeds/etc.

Are there other factors I should consider?

2. Member
    A single 36v lithium is also an option.

3. Member
    I think you go 36V if you get a ghost. The nice thing about the ghost is that is 36v or 24v compatible so if you have a battery failure on the water, in theory you could drop down to 24v and still be up and running. It's a good backup plan IMO...

Yeah sticking with 36v... just a momentary lapse lol.

5. Member
    I lost a battery this last week-end. The 24v option kept me on the water.

Good real world example of benefit of keeping 36v.

Was thinking on upgrading starting battery, but to change it I have to basically pull/empty half the bilge in including charger and 1 tm battery (thanks Skeeter :( ) So thinking if I have to do that much work might as well replace them all while I am in there, so that's what got me thinking about lower cost of lithium 24v vs 36v lol...

But going to stay 36v, maybe to 3 50's instead of 3 100's, not sure.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Good real world example of benefit of keeping 36v.

Was thinking on upgrading starting battery, but to change it I have to basically pull/empty half the bilge in including charger and 1 tm battery (thanks Skeeter :( ) So thinking if I have to do that much work might as well replace them all while I am in there, so that's what got me thinking about lower cost of lithium 24v vs 36v lol...

But going to stay 36v, maybe to 3 50's instead of 3 100's, not sure.
    I think you can just take off the rear deck panel and then pull out the battery there. You do have to remove both batteries.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    I think you can just take off the rear deck panel and then pull out the battery there. You do have to remove both batteries.
    Different on the older ones, my 2016 has the smaller center hatch, not the wide dual hatch of the newer models. :(. Have to pull to center and tilt them a bit as well I think while pulling them out. You can pull the outer panels off which will help a bit, but you still have to go in/out from the middle.

But if there is an easier way I am all for it :).

Not my boat but opening is the same...

9. Member
    Even the 2022 ZX225 have the same rear deck as your 2016. The "R" boats have a different more accessible bilge/battery compartments

10. Member
    I have a ghost and a single 36v 100AH battery. A day of tournament fishing I use only about 10% of the battery life
    2016 Skeeter ZX225. 2016 Yamaha 225SHO
    99 Hells Bay Whipray. 99 Mercury 40

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Be sure to check out our 36v with the Charge on the Run Charger, great option for a single 36v battery. It does have Bluetooth and comes with our Full 10 year non prorated warranty.

https://www.impulselithium.com/produ...-charge-combo/

Call me with any questions

205-965-8436

Bill

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Different on the older ones, my 2016 has the smaller center hatch, not the wide dual hatch of the newer models. :(. Have to pull to center and tilt them a bit as well I think while pulling them out. You can pull the outer panels off which will help a bit, but you still have to go in/out from the middle.

But if there is an easier way I am all for it :).

Not my boat but opening is the same...

That's what I mean. You have to take that deck panel off and then pull the battery out almost vertical. It's a pain but the only way without taking off the charger
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    That's what I mean. You have to take that deck panel off and then pull the battery out almost vertical. It's a pain but the only way without taking off the charger
    I cheated, and paid the marine shop a half hour labor to pull them. Took three guys (plus me) finagling the batteries, wiring, plumbing, etc. The Northstar was the worst. I was able to leave charger in (at the time) but I did have to remove the battery switch plate that hangs down. I don't know WTF Skeeter is thinking with this setup :(. Anyway got them pulled, came home and started pulling wiring, battery trays, charger, etc out and cleaning the bilge. Going to replace the thru hull and add a remote drain plug while I've got it all torn down, and maybe replace my PP CM1 tubing while I'm at it, as I don't like how it's run plus it's several years old. Skeeter left all kinds of extra tubing coiled in the bilge and it's a PITA to work around. might pull the pumps and clean them up, etc. Kind of a "bilge overhaul" lol.