2005 Champion 206 with a 250 Pro XS four stroke

I have finally decided to re-power my 206 after much thought. I was either going to replace the boat, or repower. I am replacing the current Evinrude 225 ETEC with a Mercury 250 Pro XS four stroke. The ETEC has been great, but just hit 400 hours and really want a warranty on the motor. Already have the new motor, just wanting to get it installed. I am curious if anyone out there has done the same and if there are lessons learned that can be shared. I expect some gremlins related to the set up to show up when I do this. I currently have the factory 10" slide master. I will replace that with a Bobs 10" action. (Like Atlas too, but none available anywhere). I am unsure wedges are needed with the motor or not. I have never had much of a hole shot with the ETEC, but expect it to be much better with the 4 stroke. they seem to have more torque. I will likely start with the Fury 3 24P prop and see how that works. I have a Tempest 25P too that I might play with. That was the best prop for me on the ETEC. If anyone has any experiences or suggestions with going to the Merc four stroke I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. Member
    I have an 08 210 model. I am running the same motor you are installing. I have a 10" Atlas plate. I hve the boat loaded fairly heavy. I run a Fury 3 blade 23 pitch. I don't think I can spin a 24 up to the proper rpm 5900-6100. I definitely can't do it with a 25. I already tried. Most guys I know with that motor and a 20' boat are running 23 pitch.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    Thanks for the response Getfished. I am not very familiar with the Fury props so I appreciate the advise. It seems like Fury's seem to take at least one pitch smaller for some reason. My boat came with a 26p Raker II when new. I guess I will have to play with them a little bit to see what works best. Fortunately a buddy of mine has several Fury props that I can run to see what works best. Did you have to add any wedges to the mount on yours? I have seen some instances where swaps on other hulls require a 2 or 5 degree wedge. Sounds like in most cases, that is to help with hole shot. I am really not expecting an issue with the hole shot, but wont know that til the motor is on the boat. The shop swapping the motors for me is backed up with winterizations right now. wont get the swap done for a few weeks. Just trying to get out in front of this and gain as much knowledge as I can.

4. Member
    I have the same set up as getfished, also running a 23 Fury. I need to get my 23 Tempest cleaned up and try it as well but haven't. I think you will struggle with a 24.

5. Member
    I don't have any wedges. My hole shot is Ok. I just sent a Fury 23 to Croxton. I am currently running a brand new Fury 23. When I get the other one back from Croxton I plan to compare the numbers to see if they perform the same or different. I think I can do this when I get to Pickwick in a couple weeks.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    I am curious, what work are you having done to the prop you sent off? I know my 206 likes more cup added for bow lift.

7. Member
    Well the prop wasn't repairable so I guess I won't have a spare to compare.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    Wedges are used usually to get more trim they will not help your hole shot probably will hurt it