Thread: Tough Steak

Tough Steak

Anyone have any ideas on what to do with some tough ribeye steak? Bought a whole loin had the steaks cut an inch thick and they're tough. Grilled one the other night, cooked one in a skillet tonight with the same results. Appreciate any help.

2. Member
    You can do something as simple as pound it out some with a meat hammer and then grill, it breaks the tissue down a little bit. This method works well if you pound it out and season the steak and then preheat a cast iron skillet and throw the steak on with a slice of butter on top of the steak. I typically finish it in the oven on broil.
    Reverse searing can help (I typically go 180-200’F until desired internal temperature) then a quick hit on charcoal.
    We do a quite a bit with family steak/sirloin where we slice it really thin across the steak and marinated overnight. It’s a big hit for kabobs, Mexican, or stir fry.
    Just some idea’s to make the most of it.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. Member
    Thanks.

4. Member
    Try putting it into a plastic bag with enough corn starch to coat the meat and keep in the fridge for a couple of hours. Take it out, rinse the corn starch off and grill. Sounds crazy but definitely works. You could also do the same with baking soda

5. Member
    Mince it up, make chili.

6. Member
    cut it up, beef tips and gravy. Pound with a meat tenderizer and make steak simmered in gravy. Beef stew or beef soup.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Might try smoking them. Ribeye does well on a smoker.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've got plenty to try different things.

Hey CatFan do you smoke them at 225?

9. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    I've bought those whole ribeyes from the supermarket a couple times and as you said they were tough meat, unfit for steaks. But now I get them on sale, take them home and run them through a slicer and make jerky. They are good for that.

10. Member
    Various meat tenderizers work at times. I bought a meat tenderized thingy made in Chinna of course that has about 50 needles spring loaded inside it, you press down against a spring and they come out and pierce the meat. Sprinkle tenderizer on both sides, wait half hour then hit it with this thingy but DON'T get your fingers in the way, it doesn't differentiate.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soak in real pineapple juice for 30-45 minutes. Don't go longer or they will far apart. You could also Sous Vide them for 2-3 hours at 128 F and then sear.

12. Member
    I bought the grinder attachment for our KitchenAid mixer, so tonight I ground up 2 steaks and used the meat for spaghetti. My next thing to try will be burgers then I'm going to mince some up for Texas style chili. I'm going to try to tenderize one and soak in some pineapple juice, I will do that while making Hawaiian chicken for the wife. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Have you tried marinading them. I’ve used a slight variation (Lemon and lime juice) of this a few times on flank or skirt steak.
    Should work on a ribeye. Hammer out and then marinade in a bag for a few hours.
    https://therecipecritic.com/worlds-best-steak-marinade/
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    If you purchase a whole pineapple, it's less expensive and zero food waste.
    Cut the rind off the fruit, cut up the inside, enjoy straight up, with yogurt, etc.
    Put the rind into your blender, a good one, and liquify it. Chew it up good.
    Pour it over the steak(s) you'd like to tenderize. And same thing with papaya.
    We're grow tropical fruit in the yard, they work great for this particular trick.

15. Member
    Cut into cubes make a steak in a gravy, ignore the peas part of the video. I usually use about a 4# chunk roast but ribeye would be fire!! I substitute chicken stock (32oz) where he uses water but if I run out of stock I'll start using water if needed.

20221113_191625.jpg

Last edited by Cestratton; 12-06-2022 at 06:59 AM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Have you tried marinading them. I’ve used a slight variation (Lemon and lime juice) of this a few times on flank or skirt steak.
    Should work on a ribeye. Hammer out and then marinade in a bag for a few hours.
    https://therecipecritic.com/worlds-best-steak-marinade/
    I haven't tried marinading yet. I definitely going to try some of the suggestions.

17. Member
    Ever thought about dry-aging? I have the smaller model of Steak-Ager that goes in your fridge. Done several cheap cut whole ribeyes and they come out super tender and flavorful. Well worth the money and wait.

18. Member
    Try soaking it in milk, or better yet, butter milk overnight in the fridge. Works well on tough cuts of wild game, so don't see why it wouldn't work on beef.

19. Member
    I vote for chili or soup.