Planning Trip To Headwaters 2023

My son and I are planning to come to Headwaters the end of February or first week of March next near. What could we expect as far as crowd at parking and fishing that time of year. Any recommendations on place to stay near there.

2. Member
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman13 View Post
    My son and I are planning to come to Headwaters the end of February or first week of March next near. What could we expect as far as crowd at parking and fishing that time of year. Any recommendations on place to stay near there.
    All I can say is ... PLEASE NOOO!!!!! Not more of yall. Does that give ya an idea of what to expect!!!! Florida is being invaded by "Northerner's" the way Texas is being invade by Mexicans. Need to secure the border. Another words.... crowded and limited parking. Also, giant airboats carrying a boat load of yanks with nothing better to do than buzz by with a blank stare on their face. Ya hear them coming a mile away.

4. Banned
    Not to mention the buzzards may eat your windshield molding and wipers while you're out fishing. Seriously.

Expect to catch some fish. Artificial or shiners? Just get there early for parking. Look now for VRBO or AirBnB or call Davis House Inn tomorrow. Home - Davis House Inn | Sebastian, Florida Hotels at your own risk as far as people stealing your stuff.

Do a search on here under Headwaters and look for good info.

Just did a AirBnB search and found this, whole house for $100 a night. can't beat that.

Family friendly sunny, quiet tranquil escape - Houses for Rent in Palm Bay, Florida, United States - Airbnb
    Last edited by Bassdeer; 10-27-2022 at 08:51 PM.

I don't think the fishing will be any good that time of year.

7. Banned
    Be prepared to deal with a lot of wind during that time of year. And no place to get out of it.

8. Member
    The Holiday Inn Express in Palm Bay has provisions for bass boat charging, talk to the staff if you make reservations. Also, they have 5 or 6 free EV chargers. The road into Headwaters/Stick Marsh can be a washboard dusty nightmare littered with trailer parts. Tighten your fasteners and cover the boat if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    The Holiday Inn Express in Palm Bay has provisions for bass boat charging, talk to the staff if you make reservations. Also, they have 5 or 6 free EV chargers. The road into Headwaters/Stick Marsh can be a washboard dusty nightmare littered with trailer parts. Tighten your fasteners and cover the boat if you can.
    If you travel less than 10 MPH you will save on wear and tear. That's what I did the winter of 2022. Everyone was passing me and the dust was flying, but I think my truck, boat, and trailer took a lot less abuse. I've said this before and some say drive faster and you will feel less bumps. LOL. Whatever.
    Rob Campbell - (2015) 21 Skeeter Fxi

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RealtorRob View Post
    If you travel less than 10 MPH you will save on wear and tear. That's what I did the winter of 2022. Everyone was passing me and the dust was flying, but I think my truck, boat, and trailer took a lot less abuse. I've said this before and some say drive faster and you will feel less bumps. LOL. Whatever.
    I do the same, I creep along the edge and it takes me 25min to get to the main road. Too many rigs missing entire light housings in the parking lot for me to drive any faster.

11. Banned
    I was just there week before last. Stayed at Blue Cypress Lakeside Cabins. 35 min commute to Headwaters but safe. The road isn't that bad. Drove 35mph and still have all my boat and trailer parts. It is dusty though. Go by Fellsmere Bait and Tackle and get a map. They will mark it with best ways to transit around Headwaters and Stickmarsh.

12. Member
    Google Earth time series and some coordinate manipulation might be a fun planning tool.

13. Member
    Whatever you do for God's Sake --- Please park within the LINES!!!

Not kidding, at all.

Every year (and has already started) people launch then park wherever they feel like. Before long the entire lot is unuseable. Even the Travel Lanes Parked Full!!

Last Winter there were Trucks parked in until the Idiots came back and moved.

Lots of Overflow Parking just across from the Entry Road and the Fish will still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Google Earth time series and some coordinate manipulation might be a fun planning tool.

When the lake was being built one of the dozer operators spelled his name into the lake bottom. If you look close kind of bottom center in this picture you will see an upside down "John" carved into the soil. Kind of cool.

15. Member
    We are coming February 27th to March 3rd. We booked a house. Thanks for all the advice and help. Looking foward to this trip and the memories with my son. I have been battling cancer for the last four years so this trip will be special. Any help on what lures to throw would be a help to.

16. Derek McCullough
    We are coming February 27th to March 3rd. We booked a house. Thanks for all the advice and help. Looking foward to this trip and the memories with my son. I have been battling cancer for the last four years so this trip will be special. Any help on what lures to throw would be a help to.
    PM sent

Last edited by Bassdeer; 11-01-2022 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Adding text info

I was there in March and mostly shiner fishing but did catch some on chatter baits and senko's some weightless and some with a split shot 6 or 8 inches in front of bait. Probably to early for top water but don't rule it out, prop baits work pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by RealtorRob View Post
    The road is graded twice a week, but if it rains, that takes things to a whole different level.
    2013 Young GulfShore 20
    2019 Yamaha F 150

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    All I can say is ... PLEASE NOOO!!!!! Not more of yall. Does that give ya an idea of what to expect!!!! Florida is being invaded by "Northerner's" the way Texas is being invade by Mexicans. Need to secure the border. Another words.... crowded and limited parking. Also, giant airboats carrying a boat load of yanks with nothing better to do than buzz by with a blank stare on their face. Ya hear them coming a mile away.
    Garcia is sooo bad with the airboat tours, they need an air traffic controller in the launch ramp area......
    2013 Young GulfShore 20
    2019 Yamaha F 150