Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Weatherby Magnum

I am looking at a new caliber to add to my line-up. 6.5-300 Weatherby magnum, according to the ballistics it is one bad to the bone cartridge, It is a reach out and dial em up cartridge. it consistently produce 34-3500 fps with factory ammo, I am sure with hand loads the gun will reach nearly 4000 fps. Has any one got this caliber and have hunted with it? What is your opinion for this gun.
    Last edited by muddywaters; 10-26-2022 at 03:08 PM.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

Should be a hammer. The only cons I see are the typical Weatherby type. Price, recoil and barrel life. If shooting braked, recoil won’t be an issue. If you won’t be shooting it a lot, barrel life won’t matter either.

Despite the cons, I will buy a .257 Weatherby Mag at some point.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    It is a reach out and dial em up cartridge. it consistently produce 34-35k fps with factory ammo
    At 35,000fps it surly will be a one shot barrel burner.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

4. Member
    Yeah that is overbore so barrel life will be short especially when the weatherby throats are already long. I am not familiar with that particular one but I have experience with the 257 and 300. Brass is very spendy and factory ammo even moreso. Mark Vs are beautiful rifles though. Very tough bullets would be needed if impact velocities are high. I would not want to hit something up close. Might be the ticket for long range use but IMO if I had to shoot past 250-300 I would question my hunting skills.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
    . lol

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
    Yeah, should have proof read a little better, Dropped a K where is was not needed glad you pointed it out, I would have if someone else had done the same thing. I am an estimator and deal with very large numbers on a daily basis and I typed that while at work working up numbers on a big job. 3400 to 3500 is realistic, I am only going to use the gun hunting, it will never be a shoot for fun gun. I have other guns for shoot for fun.
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

What benefits would you gain against a 300 win mag?
    I've not chronied my 150 gr load but should be close to 34-3500. The 200eldx is going 2930.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    What benefits would you gain against a 300 win mag?
    I've not chronied my 150 gr load but should be close to 34-3500. The 200eldx is going 2930.
    300 win mag.jpg6.5-300.jpg

Ballistics charts shows there are gains to be had with the 6.5 -300. The 6.5-300 ballistics chart is from Weatherby's website.
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

9. Member
    3400 fps is rolling.

10. Member
    I really like my .257 weatherby mag! Very fast and flat shooting

11. Member
    I own both a .257wby and 7mm wby, both are fun toys - but expensive to shoot.

12. Member
    I have a friend that owns this rifle. His clients shoot Coues deer with this out to 700 yards. Very accurate. I am not sure but I believe that he does hand loads for this rifle. It’s my experience with these higher velocity/ft per second rounds that the lower end of calibers velocity ranges are more accurate. As you increase speed the less accurate. Coues deer aren’t a big animal. But I did witness this gun take down a very mature bull elk at 100 yards this year. Just smashed him. Good round just expensive to shoot, like most long range rounds

13. Member
    I am not much of a .270 guy but I do believe that if you wanted a good deer gun for ranges out to 700 yards for western hunting that the 270 WSM is a less expensive caliber to shoot that you could by factory Ammo off the shelf that shoots well. Now days I am hearing about a 6.8 Winchester I think that’s the new deal. But I don’t know anything about how that cartridge performs

14. Member
    Is the draw to this because you’ve experienced problems with other cartridges? It seems like one of those things that is cool just because it’s different, more so than actually accomplishing anything that couldn’t be done just as/more effectively with a lot less cost, recoil, noise, etc. I’m also curious about bullet choice, other than a copper solid which would hold together at short range yet still retain enough velocity at longer-range to expand, ARE there actually any bullets in this caliber that are designed to hold together at such high velocity? If not, this would seem to be only useful at ranges past where the vast majority of animals are shot? unless you’re intentionally going out of the way to shoot at longer range than necessary? Even though I’ve practiced quite a bit at pretty long ranges, my own skill with a rifle runs out long before the effective range of the more common cartridges does—Suspect it’s a one in 1000 shooter who will actually benefit from a cartridge like this.

15. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Personally if I wanted a 6.5 I would go with a 6.5 PRC. Tack driving from a good rifle less spendy for cartridges.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

16. Member
    I have been purchasing the Weatherby mag 6.5-300 140 grain interlocks for less than 50 dollars a box. I bought 6 boxes for 48 buck each. to me in todays times thats not to bad for specialty ammo.
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

17. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    I have been purchasing the Weatherby mag 6.5-300 140 grain interlocks for less than 50 dollars a box. I bought 6 boxes for 48 buck each. to me in todays times thats not to bad for specialty ammo.
    Sounds like you already added one to your arsenal.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

18. Member
    No pun intended, but yes I did pull the trigger and buy the rifle, Shortly after starting this thread, It was a want more than a need, I wanted it so I got it. I was just hoping to get some feed back from anyone who may have had one already. I equipped it with a Sig Saur whiskey 3 scope with hell fire reticle. I took it to the range already and can report 1/2 inch or less groups at 100yrds. This weekend starts our modern gun deer season, I will update the performance of the firearm if I happen to take a deer.

6.5-300.png
    I hunted with a 300 win mag last year, I was shooting 150gr Winchester deer season Xp ammo and the damage was devastating, so much I would not post pictures of the deer. the entering hole was 30 cal but the exiting damage was howitzer. So I wanted something with in a slightly smaller caliber to try and minimalize the carnage. Now with the speed it shoots, and using an interlock bullet I am hoping to have a good clean ethical kill without the external carnage.
    Last edited by muddywaters; 11-10-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

19. Member
    A 150 cup and core bullet out of a 300 mag can result in performance like you experienced. A 180 cup and core is a much better performer out of a magnum. Higher density and lower impact velocities make for deeper penetration. An interlock at even higher speeds will be even more apt to give you that result that you did not like. A tougher bullet is really called for here.

20. Member
    Yeah, that’s truly using a shotgun to kill a mouse, you have to either pick a bullet that will dramatically reduce the size of the wound channel if you want anything left, or use a more appropriately sized cartridge. A copper mono or a bonded lead bullet that is designed more for penetration than for an explosive wound channel will reduce the carnage on smaller game like deer..it’s still way overkill but at least it wont grenade inside the deer and ruin half the meat on the exit side. those fragmenting lead bullets (and many/mostlead bullets will fragment at super high velocities) are designed to maximize the size of the wound channel allowing smaller cartridges to kill more effectively...thats what you want in a 243 or a 223 or other small cartridge for deer. Combine a bigger magnum cartridge with a fragmenting bullet and you have a recipe for deer-burger before you even walk up to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast