Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    Yeah, that’s truly using a shotgun to kill a mouse, you have to either pick a bullet that will dramatically reduce the size of the wound channel if you want anything left, or use a more appropriately sized cartridge. A copper mono or a bonded lead bullet that is designed more for penetration than for an explosive wound channel will reduce the carnage on smaller game like deer..it’s still way overkill but at least it wont grenade inside the deer and ruin half the meat on the exit side. those fragmenting lead bullets (and many/mostlead bullets will fragment at super high velocities) are designed to maximize the size of the wound channel allowing smaller cartridges to kill more effectively...thats what you want in a 243 or a 223 or other small cartridge for deer. Combine a biggermagnum cartridge with a fragmenting bullet and you have a recipe for deer-burger before you even walk up to it.
    I used it last year for more reason than one, we have a large feral hog issue where I hunt and I wanted to make sure any hog the I shot was for sure to be stopped, we have some big ones, well over 250-300+ pounds, they have a real thick protective shield, so I toted the 300 win mag last year for that reason as well. I may switch to a solid copper Barnes round next year if I hunt with this gun again. I have read some horror stories about the solid copper rounds not performing and making a clean kill, but like with anything you research online you can find love stories and hate stories for any product on the market.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

2. Member
    makes sense to me. copper bullets work differently than lead a bit, they are quite good but different--if you keep that in mind you'll be happy with them. Generally with copper you can go down in bullet-weight from what you might have used in lead and achieve good results, because 1) the copper bullet is longer for a given weight and will sometimes need a faster twist to stabilize a heavier bullet for best accuracy, and 2) because copper needs a higher impact velocity than lead to reliably expand. You want your impact velocity to be an absolute minimum of 2200-2300fps to get decent expansion--I've never had to approach that so I cant cite nuanced personal experience, but word from folks thathave shot a lot of these culling and researching terminal ballistics for military is that below that threshold they will expand considerably less than most people want. Apparently if you impact below this or even at the manufacturers recommended minimum velocity, the tip will barely expand to bore diameter--those are 99% of the "bullet didnt expand, never again" horror stories you hear about copper; and 3) because they retain nearly 100% of their initial weight (although at your crazy high velocity they might shed petals??) they will penetrate better than a heavier lead bullet, even a bonded bullet like the interbond or an accubond. I dont really know what else is out there designed for this application, but your crazy high velocity gun seems perfect for a copper bullet to me, since it is far more likely to hold togther, and you are worried about having a too-big wound cavity with that cartridge. The benefit you will see with copper on that gun is actually the reason some people dont like copper--because it expands very slightly slower and narrower than lead, the cavity around the wound channel is not as large--i.e. you wont get as much of a "blown out" cavity that is larger than the expanded bullet, it will tend to be a longer, deeper, but narrower wound channel, almost always a pass-through even at lower velocities. For people shooting a standard-size caliber this means the animal may take a few seconds longer to bleed out and it is slightly less likely to be a bang/flop due to the temporary wound cavity disrupting CNS system on the animal. It's just as dead, it's the folks looking for a bang/flop kill on an elk because they dont want it to run into the woods or into a canyon even 50 or 100 yards that complain about copper. Hard to say what you will find at 3400fps, but for hogs and crossing over into deer I think you will probably get a good combo of plenty of penetration for the hogs, while minimizing excessive damage to deer, all with the same cartridge.
    Personally I shoot copper almost entirely for the past couple years for the reduced meat damage if I hit a shoulder. Have now shot or been involved with field dressing 4 antelope, 2 deer and 2 elk shot with copper and all of them went down within feet of impact. Just keep the minimum velocity in mind--use a ballistics app and plug in bullet weight, BC, muzzle velocity and it will tell you range at which velocity goes below--and keep shots inside that range, if you absolutely need it down "right there" hit a shoulder (it'll go through, and those bullets wont lose nearly as much meat to bloodshot), and you should have good results. I plugged that weatherby 127gr LRX load (which is a Barnes copper bullet) into my app, and it looks to me like the ballistics table on their website is for higher elevation (i.e. my data for 1000ft elevation is a bit slower than what their website says at range) but certainly that load should stay above 2300fps for good expansion out to 550yds if not a bit further. If you need more range the interlock or accubond will get you a lot more, at the cost of meat damage at closer range.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 11-11-2022 at 11:43 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    makes sense to me. copper bullets work differently than lead a bit, they are quite good but different--if you keep that in mind you'll be happy with them. Generally with copper you can go down in bullet-weight from what you might have used in lead and achieve good results, because 1) the copper bullet is longer for a given weight and will sometimes need a faster twist to stabilize a heavier bullet for best accuracy, and 2) because copper needs a higher impact velocity than lead to reliably expand. You want your impact velocity to be an absolute minimum of 2200-2300fps to get decent expansion--I've never had to approach that so I cant cite nuanced personal experience, but word from folks thathave shot a lot of these culling and researching terminal ballistics for military is that below that threshold they will expand considerably less than most people want. Apparently if you impact below this or even at the manufacturers recommended minimum velocity, the tip will barely expand to bore diameter--those are 99% of the "bullet didnt expand, never again" horror stories you hear about copper; and 3) because they retain nearly 100% of their initial weight (although at your crazy high velocity they might shed petals??) they will penetrate better than a heavier lead bullet, even a bonded bullet like the interbond or an accubond. I dont really know what else is out there designed for this application, but your crazy high velocity gun seems perfect for a copper bullet to me, since it is far more likely to hold togther, and you are worried about having a too-big wound cavity with that cartridge. The benefit you will see with copper on that gun is actually the reason some people dont like copper--because it expands very slightly slower and narrower than lead, the cavity around the wound channel is not as large--i.e. you wont get as much of a "blown out" cavity that is larger than the expanded bullet, it will tend to be a longer, deeper, but narrower wound channel, almost always a pass-through even at lower velocities. For people shooting a standard-size caliber this means the animal may take a few seconds longer to bleed out and it is slightly less likely to be a bang/flop due to the temporary wound cavity disrupting CNS system on the animal. It's just as dead, it's the folks looking for a bang/flop kill on an elk because they dont want it to run into the woods or into a canyon even 50 or 100 yards that complain about copper. Hard to say what you will find at 3400fps, but for hogs and crossing over into deer I think you will probably get a good combo of plenty of penetration for the hogs, while minimizing excessive damage to deer, all with the same cartridge.
    Personally I shoot copper almost entirely for the past couple years for the reduced meat damage if I hit a shoulder. Have now shot or been involved with field dressing 4 antelope, 2 deer and 2 elk shot with copper and all of them went down within feet of impact. Just keep the minimum velocity in mind--use a ballistics app and plug in bullet weight, BC, muzzle velocity and it will tell you range at which velocity goes below--and keep shots inside that range, if you absolutely need it down "right there" hit a shoulder (it'll go through, and those bullets wont lose nearly as much meat to bloodshot), and you should have good results. I plugged that weatherby 127gr LRX load (which is a Barnes copper bullet) into my app, and it looks to me like the ballistics table on their website is for higher elevation (i.e. my data for 1000ft elevation is a bit slower than what their website says at range) but certainly that load should stay above 2300fps for good expansion out to 550yds if not a bit further. If you need more range the interlock or accubond will get you a lot more, at the cost of meat damage at closer range.
    All good points, I did not shoot a deer this past weekend in the opening days, but should be back in the woods this weekend looking for another opportunity.
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

4. Member
    Update: I have now taken two mature white tail bucks, Both 8 pointers, and both relatively heavy bodied deer, The 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum is an awesome caliber, it did not waste anytime making a ethical kill, the deer both just wilted in their tracks, both shot at or around 125 yards, I was using the 140 grain interlock ammo, lead round, the round passed thru on both deer, which at those speeds I expected it to. The entrance hole was .264, but it did not waste anytime opening a wound channel through the deer that would have made tracking a breeze had it not been so efficient at dispatching the animal. The exit wound was substantial, however not 300 win mag ridiculous. I may get a 7mm Weatherby mag or a 257 Weatherby mag for next season. But if you are in question as to the lethality of the 6.5-300 Weatherby mag, know this, it is devastating.
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos81 View Post
    I own both a .257wby and 7mm wby, both are fun toys - but expensive to shoot.
    Not as bad when you roll your own. I load all my stuff now and cost for each shot is way cheaper but I end up shooting more and buying more supplies so I guess really I dont save anything.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassfriend View Post
    Not as bad when you roll your own. I load all my stuff now and cost for each shot is way cheaper but I end up shooting more and buying more supplies so I guess really I dont save anything.
    This had been my experience.

People ask me how much I save by reloading. My answer is none because I just shoot more for the same amount of money.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12