Thread: Excel vs Xpress

Excel vs Xpress

I think I have settled on one of the center console bay versions from these companies. Has anyone had both brands or knowledge of the brands quality, finish, durability etc? They seem to be very similar boats. There is some hull thickness I believe but nothing major. I will be buying used so I may not get much of a choice but wondering if I should be searching for one brand over the other.

https://excelboats.com/baypro.html

https://xpressboats.com/bay/

2. Member
    Always a good idea to make sure you have a good dealer for the brand within a reasonable drive of your home.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

I don’t own either but I do have some minimal input for you.

I was super close to buying a BayPro 183 a few years back (2019) when a NOS 203 came up for sale at a dealership in Kentucky close to where I was working. I stopped to look at it one day on the way home and spent a couple hours crawling around it.

The thing was solidly built and the fit/finish was top notch. They wanted to make a good deal on it but the color didn’t blow my skirt up and in reality the 203 was more boat than I wanted/need.

There were three things that kept me from buying the 183 in the end; 1, the dealer with the 203 wouldn’t negotiate on the price of an ordered 183, 2, the only other dealer within an 8 hour drive did not make me feel comfortable, 3, the size of the front deck on the 183 is considerably smaller than the deck of the Vexus 1880 I eventually bought.

I know a father and son who are die hard Ranger glass boat fans but they both own and rave about the Xpress boats they own.

4. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
    I don’t own either but I do have some minimal input for you.

I was super close to buying a BayPro 183 a few years back (2019) when a NOS 203 came up for sale at a dealership in Kentucky close to where I was working. I stopped to look at it one day on the way home and spent a couple hours crawling around it.

The thing was solidly built and the fit/finish was top notch. They wanted to make a good deal on it but the color didn’t blow my skirt up and in reality the 203 was more boat than I wanted/need.

There were three things that kept me from buying the 183 in the end; 1, the dealer with the 203 wouldn’t negotiate on the price of an ordered 183, 2, the only other dealer within an 8 hour drive did not make me feel comfortable, 3, the size of the front deck on the 183 is considerably smaller than the deck of the Vexus 1880 I eventually bought.

I know a father and son who are die hard Ranger glass boat fans but they both own and rave about the Xpress boats they own.
    Thank you for the information. No dealer close is somewhat of an issue for me but since I will be buying used I am not as concerned with that. I have only seen the xpress in person once and have not seen an excel at all. Doesn't sound like I will be disappointed in either one from a quality and finish standpoint.

5. Member
    I owned a 98 Xpress h-56 with a 135 mariner on it & got rid of it because of drifting around in the wind. That's the one & only reason i got rid of it. The fellow i traded with still ownes it & moved the batteries to the front & swears it doesn't do it now & says it's the best boat he ever owned. I will agree it was a very good rig & if i'd had a different trolling motor on it like we have now i'd probably still own it. Guys tell me the newer trolling motors make a huge difference nowadays. I do miss it still at times. If i buy another aluminum rig which i'm considering now Xpress will be the first one i check out that i know for sure.