Dual console RT188

Just curious for those of you with a dual console RT188, do you like it? Does it make the boat feel small? I currently have a 2016 single console, but I've been kicking around the idea of getting the other one, to help support my boat cover on that side. I'm not sure I can even get one at this point, but I'm going to call anyway.

2. Member
    I like the dual console. It came that way, so I don't have anything to compare it to. My prior 22' fiberglass also had dual consoles, so I am used to walking through the two consoles. I supposed a single console would feel more roomy, but I also want my passenger to be comfortable with something blocking the wind. I also like the extra glove compartment even though the door is cheesy plastic. Rods store in the gap between the gunnel and console on the port side just like the starboard side.

3. Member
    I like the added protection and glove box. No rod issues with the center box.

4. Member
    well scratch that idea $1500 is way more than I want to spend on it. I remember when I bought the boat they were only $500. I guess I'll just build something out of PVC to support the cover in that area.

I made this cover support several years ago and it has served me well.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Bill Reynolds is the MacGyver of Boats!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

7. Member
    I was thinking more along the lines of some to sit in the floor about the same size as the driver side console. I think the cover they sent me last year was made for a dual console boat, it seems like it has excess fabric in that area.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I have one of each, a dual console and a single console. The single console is a recent purchase and the boat does seem bigger. But recently my wife’s asked me to get the second console for the boat. ��*♂️. I’m not sure if I will or not.��
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

9. Member
    I love my dual console boat. I ordered it that way for the comfort of my older fishing partner. We fish year round and during the colder months it's nice to keep the wind off of them. Keep an eye out on the board and ebay. I have seen people offer up the passenger consoles for sale.

10. Member
    I added the console for my wife's comfort and large storage compartment. I don't think it makes the boat feel smaller, as there is room to sit between them. They were $1k when I bought mine, so not surprised they are higher. Worth every penny.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

11. Member
    I fish alone most of the time now, so I don't really need it for my partner. At $1500 its not worth it for me to buy one just to support my cover, which is the main reason I was looking for it. I'll keep an eye out on the for sale section if any of you think about parting with yours.

12. Member
    There are a host of straps and poles to get your cover straight. Mine is a DC, I stored it outside covered while the detached garage was being built here. I found leaving the sit down seats in the holes on decks sans their poles and running a strap front to back that hooked to the eyes kept any water from ponding on the cover.

13. Member
    Looking for the carpeted filler deck plate for my 2015 RT 188. My son joins us fishing and feel removing passenger console would help. Think I want to hang on to the console for now.
    Last edited by Tom Houston; 01-22-2023 at 09:31 AM.

14. Member

I am a big guy and don’t feel the second console is in the way.