Bite has been tough.....

So maybe it's just me but man has the largemouth bite been tough to come by this fall. Hit up Kingston lake yesterday, as we rolled in a bunch of guys were leaving and the consensus was that the fishing sucked. Fished shallow, fished deep and everywhere in between. Managed 4 largies in 5 hours between my buddy and myself. Biggest being a sickly looking 2lber. Worst part was I could see them on livescope come up look at my bait and beat feet away. We must have retied 100 times trying to find something they would bite. This has been a weird year....

2. Member
    I've been eating at the same lunch counter for the last two weeks. I experienced that deal on LS Saturday on the Nashua River - throwing a jerkbait in 12' front of the ramp, watching them come up and turn away. Alternated a pair of baits for 1/2 hour until I finally got a little SM to commit. I got the same half-hearted response at Gregg Sunday, but at least a few followed through on the strike. FWIW, 51 F on the Nashua, 58 at Gregg.

I've been on the ocean the last 2 weekends.
    Did pretty good both days. I'd like to get on some bass this weekend. Not sure I can get the day off yet.
    How did you do on Clement ?
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

4. Member
    Haha, didn't go. The girl said "Pats and dinner?". I folded like a lawn chair.

Bite has been all over the place .. one day it’s slamming and will shut off like a light switch.. even the bait disappears .. go a day or two later and it’s like all the better fish have been sucked out of the lake

On one of the slow days I drifted over a tree and it held about 25 pounds worth of bass .. backed off casted everything at it .. Not a bite so I let myself drift back up to the tree and they were all still sitting there .. actually bounced a jig off the noses of a few .. they wouldn’t even spook would just swim off slowly then return to the tree

Have never seen that before .. crazy times

Same thing up here in Maine, I fished the Tacoma Lakes close to my house. It's 3 ponds, Woodbury, Sand and Buker. I was there 3 times in the last week, fished all over the 3 ponds. I managed 5 one day, 8 the next and 4 yesterday, all in the same spot. It's like there's no other areas holding fish. All the areas you think the fish are there, they're not. Weeds, rocks, drop offs, points, nothing.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

7. Member
    I got a few small largemouth on the nashua river yesterday with a small clown jerk bait. That was about all that worked. All in around 5 ft of water. Slow day but finally figured out something that worked, kinda.

8. Member
    Well we just came home from Maine , we have a pond about 1 hour from Lakeside, always get a few good fish ? 4 to 5 lbs. on jerks at this time of year.
    We caught 72 bass in the same great spots that always pay off, NOT this time, we could not get a fish over 2 1/2 lbs ?We must of caught 20 bass about 8 in long ,
    OH !! I caught 31 of the 72 ? She's not slipping any time soon ?

9. Member
    Well I am now not feeling so bad anymore. At least I know it's not just me. This will be the first year in 31 years I have not caught an October fish on a spinnerbait. My favorite fishing memories growing up were this time of year chucking a spinnerbait catching cookie cutters one after another.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    Well I am now not feeling so bad anymore. At least I know it's not just me. This will be the first year in 31 years I have not caught an October fish on a spinnerbait. My favorite fishing memories growing up were this time of year chucking a spinnerbait catching cookie cutters one after another.
    I don't know what I've been doing wrong all year but I can't buy a good bite on the spinnerbait to save my life. Aside from that it's been pretty slow overall the last month. Water temps are still holding fairly higher than normal everywhere. We did pretty well at Otter last weekend with about 20 fish and a few big ones too, but other than that it's been a grind to get everything. Never thought I'd say it but I'm looking forward to the water temps dropping to 50 and lower, the bite is going to get a whole lot better soon here.

Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    That's odd because most of the fish I caught the last 3 trips were on a spinnerbait. Water temps are 57- 58

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    That's odd because most of the fish I caught the last 3 trips were on a spinnerbait. Water temps are 57- 58
    Al, we fished Cobbie last Thur, and the water was 56, fished it on Tues. afternoon and it was 60 and the fish were hungry

13. Member

Quote Originally Posted by red tzx 190 View Post
    Al, we fished Cobbie last Thur, and the water was 56, fished it on Tues. afternoon and it was 60 and the fish were hungry
    Ev,
    Was on the stream yesterday and caught 9, had 4 hits and all on a spinnerbait. one pike. Water is the highest I've seen since I moved here in May. water temp was 59, wind was blowing, pushing my boat 1.6 MPH down the stream.