Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    This has been a known issue going back to the 2012 model year f150.....
    I had these on a 1998 Ford Contour,a few were starting to split.Salt cancer really does no justice with these.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    On Amazon when you're ordering McGards you can put in the year/model of the car/truck and it will tell you which ones you need. If I needed new ones for my Charger or Ram it already has the year/model info in my Amazon account. Can't order the wrong ones.
    How about on a trailer? Boat/car hauler/utility, is there anything on the hub to identify the lug bolt thread?
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    How about on a trailer? Boat/car hauler/utility, is there anything on the hub to identify the lug bolt thread?
    If you have a caliper you can measure the outside of the threads to get the size, pitch is a little harder to determine but from that point some times places have "test" lug nuts you can try before ordering.
    Fish have fins, they swim

4. Member
    Replaced mine many years back when I upgraded my wheels. Nothing better than having real lug nuts

Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    If you have a caliper you can measure the outside of the threads to get the size, pitch is a little harder to determine but from that point some times places have "test" lug nuts you can try before ordering.
    Better to order the proper ones; just checking the thread doesn't give you the right length.

6. Member
    Impact wrenched destroy them faster then a freeze. Local dealer where I purchased my wife Mustang a few years ago tried telling me I needed new lug nut when I brought it in for its 3rd oil change and tire rotation. After a discussion with the service manager that his shop is the ones who rotated them the last 2 times they replaced them for free. I think they wanted almost $300 for them.

7. Member
    Yeah it doesn't take much to mess them up.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Impact wrenched destroy them faster then a freeze. Local dealer where I purchased my wife Mustang a few years ago tried telling me I needed new lug nut when I brought it in for its 3rd oil change and tire rotation. After a discussion with the service manager that his shop is the ones who rotated them the last 2 times they replaced them for free. I think they wanted almost $300 for them.
    Eager tire and quick lube techs just looooove their impact wrenches … because when it comes to lug nuts, the tighter the more gooder …

I’ll bet over 90% of the “pros” never use a torque wrench on wheel nuts.
    Ranting incoherently

9. Member
    People over tighten lug nuts.

10. Member
    Over the years I have learned so much from this site that had nothing to do with fishing. Guess I will head to O'reilly's in the morning. Thanks for the info.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Eager tire and quick lube techs just looooove their impact wrenches … because when it comes to lug nuts, the tighter the more gooder …

Actually, is not so much as the impact wrench but those 'time saving' colored torque rods. I start'em by hand and run'em up to face on 1 with my Dewalt or my Napa impact, and I final torque them to specs in proper correct pattern. Go for a short ride and get'em up to spin in the 70+mph, and back to the shop to check back to specs.
    The only thing that never got torqued or recheck after was my dump trucks with Daytons, which we just used a 3' pipe after the 1" air gun.

12. Member
    Had the 2 piece lug nuts on my 2009 F150. Cost around $100 to replace all 24 with one piece after market nuts. Recently bought 2022 F150 it has the same lug Nuts. Will be replacing after a couple tire rotations.
    Last edited by joefish; 10-24-2022 at 10:35 PM.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

13. Member

If we can go by my definition of pro I’ll take that bet Good dealerships will just because of liability reasons alone. Not only lug nut issues but lot of corrosion of hubs on a lot of vehicles which can lead to loose nuts. It costs waaay to much to have a tire fall off. Now your average say quick lube or aftermarket shop I won’t touch that bet.

14. Scraps
    When I replaced mine, slickest way of cutting the caps off was with a 1-1/8 hole saw. I think that was the perfect size. Cuts them right off.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

15. #FRB

Don't forget about drain plugs. I swear they had the drain plug they rounded off still in the extractor socket when they put it back in the last time with the impact on "kill". My BP was WAY up when I got it out myself with my own extractor socket and now change my own oil again!

I've had to deal with swollen nuts on my 2011 Ram. Luckily I was at the house and had a socket to hammer on. Need to check and see if the nuts are swollen on my 2016. Would hate to get a flat and not be able to change it.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

16. Banned
    Changed mine on the lariat day 1

Have not heard of swollen lug nuts. My current and last GMC trucks have the 2 piece lug nuts. I swap my wheels over twice a year, summer tires/wheels and winter tires/wheels. Never had a problem. I had to get the open lug nuts for the Chevy winter wheels that got used as they use the plastic covers that thread on the outside of the lug nuts.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

18. Member
    New F 250 in 1985. Long studs on 8 lugs and ford mismatched the lug nuts and you couldn’t spin them off. Had to wrench them all the way out. It was a real pain

Damn just checked my 14 Fusion. I never knew they were even covers always thought they were chrome. They will be coming off the next time it is in for service. I Learn something new everyday.

If you have a Cam Lock socket then rounding two piece nuts is over. They do not round the nuts and are made to grip down on the part.m

https://www.merricktool.com/

BCB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast