Remington model 7 value?

Looking at buying a Remington model 7 in 7mm-08 from a friend. This is a stainless/composite model with a matching 3X9x33 compact vari-x 3 scope. Doesn’t have the 2 digit code to age it on the barrel but he bought it new around 10 years ago he figured. Any idea on what this would be worth? Thanks!

2. Member
    Around here probably $500 for the rifle. A little more if it has sights or a fiberglass stock as opposed to an injected stock. Scope would add maybe $150-200.

That is certainly a better rifle than most of the cheap bolt actions made these days.

7mm08 is an excellent cartridge !!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Around here probably $500 for the rifle. A little more if it has sights or a fiberglass stock as opposed to an injected stock. Scope would add maybe $150-200.

That is certainly a better rifle than most of the cheap bolt actions made these days.
    That's a nice combo for deer. Ammo has been a little scarce but it's a good round. I think Transom is a little low on this one. Gunbroker sales are a little erratic between $600-$1000 but the Vari-X 3 adds value. They're going for considerably more that $150-$200 these days.

Correction: the $600 rifle was composite stock with blued barrel that had considerable rust (and 3x9 Nikon on top). A stainless/composite with no scope went for $1000 but I'm not confident it was a legit sale (seller could have had someone "buy it now" when the bids didn't go high enough).

Upshot is that $700 would be the bare minimum I'd offer to a friend. I think he could get more.
    Last edited by BP in ME; 10-25-2022 at 09:28 PM.

5. Member
    Thanks!

6. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I sold one in .260 last year for $550 with ascope.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

7. Member
    That’s a great deer rifle, it’s easily $750, and I think it’s probably 15 years old

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    I sold one in .260 last year for $550 with ascope.
    Stainless? Good shape? I would've taken that deal, esp if the scope was any good.

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Stainless? Good shape? I would've taken that deal, esp if the scope was any good.
    Blued, black synthetic. $89 scope. I didn’t read the original post close enough
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stroker03 View Post
    Looking at buying a Remington model 7 in 7mm-08 from a friend. This is a stainless/composite model with a matching 3X9x33 compact vari-x 3 scope. Doesn’t have the 2 digit code to age it on the barrel but he bought it new around 10 years ago he figured. Any idea on what this would be worth? Thanks!
    $700-$900 easy.

11. Member
    Not available any more, but sportsmans warehouse is showing the synthetic/stainless m7 at 729 retail last it was listed. A varix3 isnt the same as a vx3, but similar, figure its a $400 scope new. 15 years old in excellent visual condition Id expect to get maybe 65-70% of that if I were lucky. That’s about $750-800 for the kit.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    Not available any more, but sportsmans warehouse is showing the synthetic/stainless m7 at 729 retail last it was listed. A varix3 isnt the same as a vx3, but similar, figure its a $400 scope new. 15 years old in excellent visual condition Id expect to get maybe 65-70% of that if I were lucky. That’s about $750-800 for the kit.
    Older Leupolds have been bringing good prices the past couple of years on Ebay. This one often goes for around $300. The most recent sale was $357.

13. Member
    $300 is still 25% below the approx value I suggested for a new equivalent scope, at. That point we’re only a few $ apart. I certainly wouldnt pay a premium for any leupold scope or a synthetic m7 from the 2000’s maybe unless I was certain they were reliable shooters, but Im sure someone will? ive heard some rem guns are even getting a collectors premium now?? Im not seeing that at all reflected in local used gun prices though. even at premium prices you are still in the 800-850 range for the full meal deal if you sell it yourself, and you are fast-approaching the price of brand new equipment that is ime better quality. If it shoots by all means buy it, nothing wrong with that, I just dont think it would be at all “taking advantage” of a friend to be in the 750ish range. At that point if you want it I wouldnt let a small% $ difference stop me.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    $300 is still 25% below the approx value I suggested for a new equivalent scope, at. That point we’re only a few $ apart. I certainly wouldnt pay a premium for any leupold scope or a synthetic m7 from the 2000’s maybe unless I was certain they were reliable shooters, but Im sure someone will? ive heard some rem guns are even getting a collectors premium now??
    Didn't mean for that to be argumentative, just showing what I found on Ebay. The glossy scopes seem to go for a premium these days too as guys want to match them to a classic rifle, I guess. My model 700 and Vari-x II from 1992 does the trick but if I'm gonna spend that kind of money these days I'd have to consider others like the T3 and Ruger M77

15. Member
    Nor I, sorry if it came off that way—I think we’re more or less agreeing anyway. Happens when I type quick on my phone!

$Priceles$

I have been hunting with a Model 7 7mm-08 for probably well over 25 years. Mine is a walnut stock and I would not trade it for a zillion dollars. Still a tack driver from a rest or afield. Short, light, and points naturally for me. I'm sure it has taken close to 100 deer and I don't remember ever losing a single one of them (I used to have kill permits on my farm so some years I would harvest 7-8 deer.) Now I realize that some guns are shooters and some aren't. So make sure your friend isn't unloading one that didn't shoot well for him.
    I'm not always smart, but many years ago I discovered that the Fed Premium 140gr ballistic tip shot very tight groups in my rifle and laid the deer down quickly. So I bought 10 boxes of the same lot at once. Since I know the rifle so well, I'll shoot 3 rounds a week before rifle season and then take 3-4 deer. So I'm good on ammo for several more years
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

17. Member
    Oh my gawd....I would never own another gun if I had this.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Quote Originally Posted by Stroker03 View Post
    So did you buy it??
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)