RT188 - Fuel Demand Valve

Recently purchased a 2015 RT188 - my first boat. I've got very little boating knowledge to pull from, so I'm going to end up learning some things the hard way, I'm sure. Will be leaning on the knowledge resources here for years to come. I've found a number of older threads that talk about this issue, and really only identified this as a potential problem due to the gas smell in my garage. It looks like there is - or was - gas escaping from the tank around the fuel demand valve. I can't find any sort of crack around the valve, as is discussed in some other threads. Is this the valve the likely culprit, or could it be the metal coupling underneath that connects the valve to the tank? What's the best resource to purchase whatever replacement part I need? Will I need any type of sealant? What's the best method of cleaning the fuel from the outside of the tank after I've fixed the problem? Thanks for any help you all can give.

XrxYMXX - Imgur.jpg

Fuel Demand Valve - Imgur.jpg

2. Member
    These guys will be chimin in soon. I have the same issue. I still have not found out how to pull the bottom pad of the seats to gain access to the tank. Your 15 steps ahead of me, lol. I have a 2017 198P.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I’d bet that your valve has already been replaced once. They can be purchased from any Ranger dealer or you can buy one on-line, just be sure it is the correct part number. Doesn’t hurt to have a spare around either. You will need a gasket sealant suitable for gasoline. Again, your dealer can help with a recommendation or a local auto parts store.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

4. Member
    I've lost count how many times I've had to replace that thing in my 2016. I know the dealer replaced it earlier this year during its yearly service because there was a gasoline smell. Took the boat out again this weekend for the first time in about 2 months and its smells like its gone bad again.

You are probably on the right track, but just in case, look at your spit-back valve for any sign of leakage. This is my third one, the other two cracked along a seam.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Member
    I am still on the original valve, but carry a spare.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

7. Member
    Had the same problem and it was spit back valve. Replaced under warranty.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

I had to replace mine one time. If you do it yourself, be sure to order the metal clip along with the valve. The chances are very high that you will render the old clip useless when you try to unclip the valve.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

9. Member
    I so appreciate you all taking the time to provide input and help me out with this. The spitback valve doesn't have any gas residue around it, and I think the fuel demand valve is the source of the problem. I was searching around for a video instructional on how to do the replacement, but couldn't find anything, so I have a few follow-up (likely dumb) questions. Do I need to drain the tank before changing out the valve? Where do I need to apply the sealant (any recommendations on the sealant to use)? Once complete, is Simple Green a good solution to removing the gas residue from the tank, or would you recommend something else? Thanks again!

I found instructions on installation on the Attwood website. The official name is Intergrated Fuel Demand Valve. There is a downloadable PDF for the how-to.

PS: I did not drain the tank.
    Last edited by jc1234; 10-29-2022 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added PS
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Definitely no need to drain the tank, that would seriously suck. Glad it worked out for you.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kacordy View Post
    These guys will be chimin in soon. I have the same issue. I still have not found out how to pull the bottom pad of the seats to gain access to the tank. Your 15 steps ahead of me, lol. I have a 2017 198P.
    Seats come out as a package deal. It is a one piece deal with screws in the flange on the floor.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike198P View Post
    Seats come out as a package deal. It is a one piece deal with screws in the flange on the floor.
    Thank you Mike, I will go find those screws.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    I found instructions on installation on the Attwood website. The official name is Intergrated Fuel Demand Valve. There is a downloadable PDF for the how-to.

PS: I did not drain the tank.
    Thanks so much for this; the instructions make me feel much more comfortable about how simple the install is. One additional question; the instructions recommend Attwood #30106-6 as a thread sealant to connect the "barb fitting or anti-siphon valve" to the fuel demand valve. That particular Attwood sealant doesn't appear to be available; what would be the go-to alternative sealant for this use? Additionally, can I expect to have to remove existing sealant from the barb-fitting or anti-siphon valve, and if so, what should be used to accomplish that?
    Last edited by CR78; 10-31-2022 at 02:30 PM.

15. Member
    I just replaced the demand valve on my small boat...(replacement suggested by a good tech). My question is : Why is it needed on the gas line on a portable 6 gallon tank with a vented cap..? I was experiencing a fuel starve issue (several times on long runs / hot days) while the tank vent was open.

16. Member
    i had my spit -back valve crack also took it out of the system and replaced with a new hose .

17. Member
    Just want to say thanks to everyone. I was able to successfully swap out the valve today.