Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Upgrade value... poles vs lithium vs spotlock vs hyd jackplate

Got my electronics where I want them pretty much, so looking at the next upgrade for a winter (such as it is, in Florida) project...

2016 ZX225, currently has Pro II poles, AGM batteries, Fortrex, and Slidemaster manual jackplate.

For primarily a shallow water fisherman, Lowrance based electronics - where's the best bang for the buck.

• On the one hand, I'd like to have 10ft Blades, but since I currently have Pro II's and they work fine, seems like not the best use of funds.
    • Spot lock - not sure I need it, but that may be because I don't have it and don't know what I am missing. Would really like to have constant on button available on top of pedal instead of having to bend down and flip that switch on the side of the Fortrex pedal... Would likely be Ghost since I have 4 Lowrance units, as well as AT and 3DSS. And 360 nosecone. Or an Ultrex if one could be found. But again, Fortrex really works fine other than constant button annoyance.
    • Lithium - I go back and forth on this. reports of performance/prop issues after switching, the Yamaha starting battery question, 50 vs 100 for the trollers... lots to digest. I'm not a speed freak, but would hate to spend 3K and loose speedtbh.
    • Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate - again, Slidemaster works fine, but seems like everyone in FL says you need a Hydraulic Jackplate so you can run shallow. but how much shallower... all depends on boat setup I suspect, but I'm set at 9 dots on the Slidemaster, by switching to a Hydraulic how much more shallower could one reasonably expect to run. Probably a question for the Skeeter Forum.

Leaning towards Lithiums, or Ghost, tbh.

2. Member
    Spot lock is quite amazing
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    I have all the above and FWIW, IMHO, the Ghost is the best thing I've ever added to the boat other than fishing rods.

__________________________________________________ ____
    The wife said \"Buy a new boat, you\'ll catch more fish\". Mines broken!

4. Member
    Spot lock without a doubt for me. Everything is a game changer but for me this truly is. Good luck.

5. Member
    I say spot lock without a doubt. I use it and spot lock jog every trip. Once I got it I stopped using my Power Poles and sold them.

6. Member
    Jackplate isn't just for running shallow. Its also for when its really rough, lower the motor down to help keep the prop engaged. Or when idling thru things lifting the engine up, etc. TM, spot lock, no steering feedback, point and go. Electric steer is adds a lot. You can fish and not have to worry with the TM as much.. For me, the TM would be 1st, plate 2nd. jury is still out for me out Lithiums.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

7. Member
    Trolling motor with spot lock is #1 without a doubt.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Trolling motor with spot lock is #1 without a doubt.

Well pretty overwhelming almost every response is spot lock... didn't expect that. Will look into it further for sure. I do like that you can get a 360-like view with the Ghost/3n1 nosecone without having to drop a couple grand on a 360 and HB head unit as well.

Base it on how you realistically fish. If you fish off the bank then Spotlock is nice. If you can see a need for hydraulic javlckplate tgen look at that. I heard for years how it's a must have. Personally I can do without it. My current boat came with one and quite frankly I probably don't use it near as much as some would.
    Lithium batteries is the onethat I personally have yet to see Mohave a need for. I don't get stranded with conventional and AGM batteries. They do all I ask them to do with no issues. I have never been out of town fishing and not been able to charge my batteries at night. My boat performd excellent speed wise as it sits now. I don't feelma need to drop a couple of grand to fix a problem I don't have.
    Unless you plan on keeping your boat forever then you will not recover much on these additions come time to sell.

As I have gotten older I just try to be more blunt with myself on adding stuff to my boat. Do I really need it, will I actually use it and does it make sense for the way I fish.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Heck do both spotlock and Li batteries......they are at good pricing now....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    Just re-read your initial post again. Sounds like you really don't need to do any of those upgrades. But if you want to spend some money, a new troller is where I would go.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

With everything in your post id say your biggest improvement will be spotlock.

skeeters dont draft noticeably less with lithiums,
    skeeters dont need a bobs to be grate
    You have 80% of the poles you wish for
    gour batteries are good to go

14. Member
    Did all the above and the best money spent is the Ghost. Spot lock made life so much better and easier on the water.

Thanks guys, yep looking at the Ghost now - reading review, watching videos, etc lol...

How important is the remote - I notice it's not included. Is it like the Ultrex where you have to have it to setup the TM, or is it just an optional "nice to have" part?

16. Member
    I have an Ultrex that came with a remote. I’ve never used it. No idea if there’s batteries even in it.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I have an Ultrex that came with a remote. I’ve never used it. No idea if there’s batteries even in it.
    Oh, I thought you needed it (for the MK) to setup boat length, or boat scale, or something like that... I could be mistaken.

Reading up on the Ghost, lots of complaints it seems... not sure if just "you only see complaints, not praise" syndrome - but seems like everyone complaining about creaky/noisy mount, random "prop not spinning" issues, 5 beeps/no easy fix issue, delicate prop, no good in grass, etc...

Bumming me out b/c I was excited to add it into my Lowrance "ecosystem", but now I am re-thinking it. But can't find a 36v Ultrex in stock anywhere it seems.

Will keep researching Ghost, while still looking for an Ultrex as well I guess.

18. Member
    I’ve had a ghost for 2 years now and no problems. Best thing I added to boat

19. Member
    For crappie fishing offshore brushpiles: Ghost, AT, Rite-Hite Turret.

20. Member
    General consensus is spot lock tolling motor. And they’re right. I’d have it before I added/upgraded ANYTHING else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast