Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Can these be held in an IRA? I would assume yes. Can existing IRA funds be used to purchase these without penalties?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt1down View Post
    Can these be held in an IRA? I would assume yes. Can existing IRA funds be used to purchase these without penalties?
    I'm pretty sure it's a "NO" and a "NO" ... they're issued to individuals, tied to a SS number. Ownership other than individual can be an estate, in probate.
    But ... my education is dated and I'm not a CPA. Suggest you contact someone with the proper credentials to clear it up. Treasury Notes are an option.

3. Member
    Thanks.

It sounds like people trying to buy today to beat the deadline May not get their orders filled in time to do so. Demand at treasury direct is off the charts. Glad I didn’t wait till the last minute to do my most recent buy.

5. Member
    Glad I bought mine in June as well....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

6. Member
    Obviously I’m too late to get the current rate but this is new to me and I have what I believe is a simple question. Can I simply go to treasurydirect and create an account tied to my bank and buy within my annual limits? Then once I decide to cash them out transfer the money back out to my bank minus any penalties if it would be sooner than 5 years? Are balances and rates seen on your treasurydirect account once opening just like online banking?
    Like I said, all new to me, thanks for the input
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Obviously I’m too late to get the current rate but this is new to me and I have what I believe is a simple question. Can I simply go to treasurydirect and create an account tied to my bank and buy within my annual limits? Then once I decide to cash them out transfer the money back out to my bank minus any penalties if it would be sooner than 5 years? Are balances and rates seen on your treasurydirect account once opening just like online banking?
    Like I said, all new to me, thanks for the input
    Yep. Probably less than a half hour to get the whole setup and purchase done with a normal load on their servers.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Looks like the new rate will be 6.89% if you didn't buy before October 28.

9. Member
    Still not bad for my second 6 month window. I don't care what the next one will be, since I will be selling at the 16 month mark...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Can you convert EE bonds that mature into I bonds?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

11. Member
    Got locked out of my account because I can't find my account number. Only choice is to call and it says "call times longer than 1 hour" and it disconnects. Thankfully, I'm just trying to switch bank information, but it says if you're locked out you can do nothing...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

12. Member
    They are now showing at 6.89%. Did they now in November drop to this amount. A3% loss in a week.

13. Fishing is a Passion
    Quote Originally Posted by mobassing View Post
    They are now showing at 6.89%. Did they now in November drop to this amount. A3% loss in a week.
    Yes a drop was anticipated, 6.89% still pretty good
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mobassing View Post
    No loss. Existing bonds are still paying 9.62% for 6 more months. They change the offer rate every 6 months. The rates don’t vary more often than that.
    nothing else matters.​

15. Member
    Average 12 month rate is 8.25 if you got it at 9.62. If sold at 15 months and you keep the 12 months, damn nice rate for risk free money.....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

16. Member
    So here is a question: The Ibonds don't pay you interest for the first 3 months because of the penalty if you cash it in before 5 years. But assuming you hold 5 years are they calculating the interest based on the 3 month period rate (which would be in the 9% range) or do they calculate after year 5 at the current rate? I would hope day 1 and that they compound it even though it is not payable until after the 5 year period.

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    So here is a question: The Ibonds don't pay you interest for the first 3 months because of the penalty if you cash it in before 5 years. But assuming you hold 5 years are they calculating the interest based on the 3 month period rate (which would be in the 9% range) or do they calculate after year 5 at the current rate? I would hope day 1 and that they compound it even though it is not payable until after the 5 year period.
    It’s the three months prior to cashing it in, not the first three.
    nothing else matters.​

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    It’s the three months prior to cashing it in, not the first three.
    They are not paying the first three months from when you purchase it though. You have to get beyond three months to start seeing the interest. So do they add back in the interest based on when it would have accrued or calculate the interest at the rate in effect after you hit the 5 year holding period?

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    They are not paying the first three months from when you purchase it though. You have to get beyond three months to start seeing the interest. So do they add back in the interest based on when it would have accrued or calculate the interest at the rate in effect after you hit the 5 year holding period?
    They do pay the interest monthly and they do pay the first three months. Interest isn’t credited until you cash out.
    nothing else matters.​

20. Member
    So they pay it based on the interest in effect for the first 3 months and it just doesn't show up in your account until you hold it for 5 years?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast