Need Help/Advice on Button Panel to Rocket Switch Conversion Kit

I Have purchased the conversion kit from button panel to rocker style switches from skeeter.

This is for a 2002 ZX 250

The question is related to ECM, and if reuire an additional part.

- Old power swicth panel plugs into the ecm.
    - The ecm connects to the fuse block and the fuse block to the harness which runs back to the battery.

At a glance, i have no ecm for this conversion unless this new system bypasses that, but I have my doubts.

Here are the parts included in the conversio kit

16170421 HARNESS ADP W/FUSE BLOCK
    91112322 PANEL SWITCH 9 BUTTON
    91112237 HARNESS ADAPTER/ZX BASS
    91202525 PLATE SWITCH PNL ADPTR

Thought I would ask as Im waiting for skeeter to get backt o me

2. Member
    I converted my (2002 ZX200) from touchpad to Carling lit-tip toggle switches (pic attached). After a lot of head scratching and seeing some conversions done with the very expensive Skeeter rocker switch kit here on BBC that looked like a nightmare of wires (and poorly fitting switches and panel) I did mine a MUCH simpler way. The original computer, controlled by the touchpad, is just a switching device that in turn sends voltage to the fuse panel, then out to "devices". So, instead of unnecessarily (in my opinion) replacing miles of wiring, connectors and replacing the original, perfectly good fuse panel, I just eliminated the touchpad and computer. I moved all the wires from the computer up to the appropriate switches on my new panel. Keeping the original large connector between the computer and fuses, all the new panel connections can be made at your kitchen table instead of lying under the helm. And by doing this, all the wires from the new panel are original/original colour coding. The only function I don't have now is the livewell timers, because I don't use them anyway, but could easily add the little "shotgun shell" timers into the wiring if needed.
    The reason I went with toggle switches is 1/2" holes are MUCH easier than cutting and perfectly aligning rectangular cutouts for rockers (if they're not cut out perfectly they can look like hell IMO). These lit-tip toggles are the same ones Searay and many other boat builders use. They have an o-ring to prevent water intrusion, but I am also going to add the rubber half-boots to mine just to be extra safe. I made the panel from 1/8" aluminum, with a vinyl wrap using my own graphics. The panel, switches and wiring between switches all cost me less than $150cdn.. This was also a good chance to clean up and organize the factory wiring under the dash and support all the wiring properly.
    Sorry, pics not great...
    new panel.JPGnew panel back.JPG
    Last edited by McQuaig; 10-21-2022 at 11:27 AM.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

3. Member
    No Chris, you don't need the computer (ECM or brainbox and some call it) with your conversion to rockers.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    No Chris, you don't need the computer (ECM or brainbox and some call it) with your conversion to rockers.
    Thanks, actually got a reply from skeeter just before i checked the forum, they said the same thing, they actually sent a PDF on how to install the convrsion kit.

Hoping that helps.

Thanks again!

One NOTE:

When I did mine the first tournament I fished was on a very hot day and the fuses blew on the livewell pumps

the digital timers draw less current than the old analog ones

I had to go from 5amp to 7amp fuses and never had an issue again
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    Do you happen to still have the PDF they sent to you that you could share with me? I'm having problems with my 2005 zx panel right now. Probably going to have to get stuff to fix it

Something to try

I remember that when I did mine some 10 years ago a lot of people were dealing with this and one fellow posted that his dealer found that a Pink/White Strip wire was added that caused the panel to not work correctly

And when I did mine it didn’t work right and I thought can’t hurt to check and I found the pink/white stripe wire and disconnected it from one of the switches and the dam thing worked fine after that

So might take a look and see if you can find this wire and unplug it

If I remember right it was at the far end of the panel away from the power switch (If I remember right)

Can’t hurt to try
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Something to try

I remember that when I did mine some 10 years ago a lot of people were dealing with this and one fellow posted that his dealer found that a Pink/White Strip wire was added that caused the panel to not work correctly

And when I did mine it didn’t work right and I thought can’t hurt to check and I found the pink/white stripe wire and disconnected it from one of the switches and the dam thing worked fine after that

So might take a look and see if you can find this wire and unplug it

If I remember right it was at the far end of the panel away from the power switch (If I remember right)

Can’t hurt to try
    On 2002 Skeeter with 2 fuel tanks the Pink/White is from Starboard sender to tank selector switch and Pink/Black is from Port sender to switch. The solid pink goes from switch to gauge.
    Last edited by McQuaig; 03-20-2023 at 06:59 AM.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

On 2002 Skeeter with 2 fuel tanks the Pink/White is from Starboard sender to tank selector switch and Pink/Black is from Port sender to switch. The solid pink goes from switch to gauge.
    OK I found the post and sorry its been 12 years and All I could remember was the wire color

This is the post that helped me

See Post #2 for fix

and you will see post #16 me giving a shout out to him for that

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=81936
    Last edited by MichAngler; 03-20-2023 at 08:48 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Strange my gauge still reads both tanks and that wire is still unplugged

if I could get to the boat I would take a photo but she doesn't come out of storage for a couple more weeks

I've tried searching for that old post but its over 10 years now and I couldn't find it
    It can get a little confusing as from what I can from different posts here, I think changes in gauge types, etc. over the years has resulted in some wire colour changes. Fuel gauges don't require 12v power, so the solid pink from switch to gauge may have just been a "convenient" one to use at the time.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

It can get a little confusing as from what I can from different posts here, I think changes in gauge types, etc. over the years has resulted in some wire colour changes. Fuel gauges don't require 12v power, so the solid pink from switch to gauge may have just been a "convenient" one to use at the time. However, on my fuse panel, there are several solid pink wires powering up relays for horn, etc....go figure
    Yep I was confused! 12 years and I'm not that young anymore

you will see I changed my post as I found the original thread with the fix!
    "The handicapped angler"

Lol, that was a long time ago.. and glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by JDI View Post
    Lol, that was a long time ago.. and glad I could help.
    "The handicapped angler"