How to find old road beds, parking lots, etc

I have a lowrance Carbon 9 and a humminbird DI 12 GPS. Both graphs only have the factory installed maps. I’ve tried to find old road beds in the lakes I fish but they don’t seem to be on my graphs. What do I need in order to find these along with old parking lots etc??

2. Member
    Sometimes for things like that google earth is your best friend. You can search and try to find times when the lake is low and find those road beds. If you can't find them then, might have to start side imaging.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    I would invest in a Navionics or Lakemaster chip for the hummingbird. It normally shows road beds, submerged bridges, etc.

4. Member
    Thanks for the input

I think a lot of it is learning what you're seeing on your graphs and, maybe more importantly, trusting what they're telling you. It's tough to look around when you're not sure what you're seeing. I'd highly suggest either getting out with someone who fishes offshore a lot, or probably much easier, check out some YouTube videos. Fish the Moment is the best I've ever seen - his content is insanely well done, and he's a fantastic teacher who can explain complicated things in ways that are easy to understand. https://www.youtube.com/c/FishtheMoment
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I think a lot of it is learning what you're seeing on your graphs and, maybe more importantly, trusting what they're telling you. It's tough to look around when you're not sure what you're seeing. I'd highly suggest either getting out with someone who fishes offshore a lot, or probably much easier, check out some YouTube videos. Fish the Moment is the best I've ever seen - his content is insanely well done, and he's a fantastic teacher who can explain complicated things in ways that are easy to understand. https://www.youtube.com/c/FishtheMoment
    His videos are pretty great, especially the basic sonar fundamentals. I truly didn't understand SI until I saw the videos with him in the parking lot with the traffic cones

One thing that can help you understand what you are looking at with your graphs is to hit manmade structure. Scan bridge pilings, or a shoreline with a retaining wall, and you will have a pretty good idea what your SI is showing.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. Member
    Thanks for the input

8. Member
    I use Navionics and have been satisfied. Navionics has the submerged bridges, road beds, and creek beds charted very well for the lakes I fish.

Screenshot_2020-06-13_12.18.53.pngScreenshot_2020-06-13_12.19.01.png
    Last edited by djb750; 11-06-2022 at 10:29 AM.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250