Starter Soft Plastic Tips

Hey Guys,

I am wanting to start making my own soft plastics out of my used plastics. I'm trying to figure out what I should buy. I'm thinking about buying an injector, a Senko mold and a bandito mold. I don't have a lot of money I can pour into this right now but I don't want to buy too cheap and it be a waste of money.

What brand injector and size would you buy? Do-it injector bad?
    Are stone molds bad?
    Any other tips, tricks or best buys please!

TIA!

2. Member
    Unless you have a lot of scrap you will wind up with brown.
    You might want to start out with open pour molds. They are a lot cheaper and make decent baits.

3. Member
    Basstackle 6 ounce injector & a do-it essential series Gary Yamamoto senko mold would be a good way to start. The best thing when starting is to buy only the molds for baits you know without a doubt you'll fish yourself. My first was a basstackle bt flippin hog which is a baby brush hog mold. Next was a delmart 4"shz (super hog) mold then another so i could make 4 at a time. Next an angling ai 4" tube mold & so on until i now make all my plastics that i regularly fish. Now i've got into crappie fishing so there's a bunch more molds that i've bought or traded around & got. Now i can't get all the molds i have in my toolbox drawer where i store them. Yep if you enjoy it you're going to spend some cash just wait & see.

4. Member
    I have a couple molds I made from some baits I use a lot. Open pour molds made from plastic auto body filler or plaster of paris. Most baits come out a shade of brown as stated above, but you can sort the used plastics to get other colors too.

5. Member
    Like LES YOUNG said You goanna Spend a lot of $$$$$...we all started off with "ONE MOLD"
    It became a sickness a Good One though.
    Welcome to lure making ENJOY

I would get the basstackle injector. I know a little high priced but worth it. Very well built.
    Stone molds are good and are cheaper. If you want the baits shiny just lube the stone mold. Ebay can be a good place.
    As for remelting watch cause some plastics do not remelt.
    Get a good Pyrex measuring cup and some hot gloves. Always do it in a well vented area. Good luck. I started with two myself and ended up with like 20 molds now.

7. Member
    I was just going to buy 2 molds at most but have 40 or so now & I need to buy some plastic too. yep it’s one cheap hobby.

8. Member
    It can be a lot of fun and it can get costly. Before you do any plastic melting or testing, make sure your work area is well ventilated. The phalates will make you sick breathing in a non ventilated area. Invest in a good respirator.

The best advice I can give is to really think out your colors and what you want BEFORE you get too far into it and are wasting plastic. Start light and add more as needed. It's easy to waste a few gallons of plastis9l just playing around. After you shoot a mold weigh everything sprue included so you know how much to mix next timebased on desire quantity of that run. You will have far less waste.

I reuse a lot of my plastics, I separate the colors, cook slowly to avoid burning or scorching. Color stabilizer is a must if you want to maintain remelt colors

2009 ELITE 210

11. Member
    I haven't been pouring my own plastics for very long, but I have never heard of color stabilizer? Heat stabilizer is something I would definitely buy though, because when you start overheating plastic, the colors will change.

my bad yes, its heat stabilizer, still needed also check out you tube World's Worst Fishing

2009 ELITE 210

13. Member
    Let your used baits dry completely then cut them into small pieces. Then put in a pyrex cup & add a little heat stabilizer to it. I buy my stabilizer by the quart & add a cap full to 4 to 6 ounce batches of remelt. Have fun with it. Essential series molds from do-it are great molds to start with if they have any that interest you. They do have a good Gary Yamamoto senko mold & also have single cavity beaver molds that are an outstanding bait. I have a lot of essential series molds myself & a bunch if cnc machined ones too & if i can find what i like in the essential series i just buy them nowadays.

I used to pour my own worms, trailers, creature baits, and stick baits. All were open pour. Molds and colors from Lure Craft and MF Plastisol. Also used a Pour Pot. MicroWav from WallyWorld, Pyrex 1 and 2 cup measuring cups, and the small tin pouring pans. GET a Candy making thermometer. I heated in the Microwave, then used an old electric griddle to keep the Pyrex cups warm. I also made a lot of custom creature bait molds using Fix All. It dries quickly and is easy to use. I also went to an Automotive paint store and got the Metal Flake in Blue, Red, Silver and Gold. It's much finer than the flake from the lure supplies. I used it to make some really kool blood lines. I was really into making plastics with multi color lines and tails. Much much easier to do with hand pours vs injection. Which ever way you go, be ABSOLUTLY SURE YOU HAVE A LOT OF VENTALATION !!! I wouldn't do it in the house, lol !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

BassTackle 6oz. Injector
    Do-it Essential Senko mold (if you are not selling the baits)
    I have an aluminum Bandito injection mold I could sell you.
    I would get at least a quart of fresh soft plastisol to add a splash to your remelts to help not burn
    Heat stabilizer (I may have some for you)
    2 cup size pyrex cup
    microwave from garage sale, or Goodwill store.
    Old Senko do not remelt well as thee salt absorbs water and tend to bubble up.