Transporting a kayak while pulling a 5th wheel trailer?

Wondering if anyone that pulls a 5th wheel camper also carries a kayak or other type of fishing vessel at the same time? If so my question is what is the best method you have found. I am thinking of getting one to carry when I am camping, but have not figured out a good way to transport it. I am open to ideas that others may have.

Thanks
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Three real options.

Good quality inflatable kayaks are better than you’d imagine.

Vertical racks on the back of the trailer seem to work for some. It looks sketchy to me, but I’ve not heard of problems.

A rack over the cab of the truck seems to be the most robust way to carry a standard kayak.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I have seen pictures of the vertical racks on the rear of trailer, I agree kinda sketchy looking. Depends how far above the roof it would stick up. I have thought about over the cab. It is a double cab but thinking would probably need a support off the front bumper.
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

4. Member
    Main reason I still pull a bumper pull. 3 kayaks in bed of truck and can still tow

5. Member
    We took 2 12 foot kayaks to Florida last year and stored them on the bed and strapped them down. It was a hassle because of the length but we did it. We since sold the 12 footers and bought two 10 foot kayaks to use going forward on the next trips. Our 28SGS cougar does not have a island so at least one fits between the slides when closed and the other will go on the bed

6. Member
    Now that’s an idea I had not considered putting it inside. I also have a 285 Cougar. I am assuming that you put them inside while your slide out is still out?

Thanks
    Ronnie J
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

7. Member
    Yes all 3 slides out gives a little extra room to move around. The 10 foot kayak barley fits between the slides but looks like it will ride fine there. The one on the bed gets a ratchet strap hooked on the piece of plywood under the bed. It may not be needed but made my wife feel better. It works good but if your making a bunch of single night stays it is a little work but we have done it with two kayaks

8. Member
    I believe there are hitch racks for kayaks. If your 5th wheel does not have a hitch you can add it.

9. Member
    Yeah I only have one slide, so it might be a tight squeeze for me. But I just might have to try this.
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI