Ohorn

Clark, Russel , Hartwell or Greenwood for fall bass

Finally took ownership on a home on ClarkHill / Thurmond never fished it yet but since we are close to the other lakes mentioned I thought I would try them for bass fishing this fall and winter? So which has the better bass fishing?

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    haven't fished hartwell in several years - it hosts several major tournaments yearly and always produces well, but it is farthest from you. All the three lakes are largely blueback herring lakes. very nomadic and on the move a lot. very different than typical shad forage based lakes, but very fun too. My family has a place at the upper end of clarks hill. can be on russell or clarks hill in 5 minutes depending on which way we turn out of the driveway - we don't fish as much in the winter or fall as we used to, but they are still good lakes for that time of the year. Had many good trips in late november - early december in the past.

Russell is definitely a spotted bass fishery now with a few largemouth mixed in. good for numbers and will run into some good sized spots and largemouth occasionally (3-5 lbs). fall and winter i'd be fishing main lake points and shoals 20-30 ft and be on the lookout for seagulls diving (big stripers will be mixed in as well).

Clarks hill can be more of a traditional largemouth fishing lake although the spots are starting to become more prominent there too. We have had really good success the last few springs around the pistol creek and newford creek areas with the largemouth (and crappie). I think the water level is on the low side at clarks hill currently, so be wary of that if you decide to head that way and stay in the running lanes if on the upper end of the lake.

Overall, I'd say you are in a very good spot for fishing, can't really go wrong with any of those choices!

3. Scraps
    College champeenship was just on Greenwood? Looked like a nice lake to me.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Don’t forget about Murray.

5. Member
    Clark Hill is plenty good enough for fall fishing. Not as much buzz as Hartwell (classics will do that) right now but the weights are just as good in the tournaments. But nothing wrong with the other lakes if you want to drive. If you like shallow water fishing you should be able to get bit at a decent rate through December on Clark hill.
    If you do go up past Hickory Knob stay in the channel. Of course right now it’ll be visually evident why.
    And welcome to Clark Hill and SC. We have a place near Fishing Village. If you have any questions PM me.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

6. Banned
    You moved to a great part of the world for fishing and I hope to retire to that area someday. Clark’s hill and hartwell are two of my most favorite lakes in the southeast particularly from November through February. They are slam full of fish and fun to fish. You will hear a lot of garbage from the locals about how the spots have “ruined” both lakes but just ignore it. They’re both absolutely full of largemouth and both have a lot of spots and some big ones at that. We are finally having some dry weather for the first time in many years so they’re both down like they’re supposed to be which makes for great fall fishing. Tie on a crank bait and find some dirty water and fish in the wind and you will have some fun.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sure ain't much down there all you got is McCormick or on down to Evans GA. Nice area though, you'll grow to love the Savannah River chain.

8. Member
    Spots are very tasty.