Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ranger Z520R Chine Walk

I have a 2022 Ranger Z520R. I have owned 3 rangers before this one. I never had a Ranger to chine walk until now. It starts to walk at 65 mph. I had a Ranger rep come ride with me. I was embarrassed. We could not make it walk. I told him, the only thing i did different was I hadn't filled it with fuel. I ran it several trips without fueling up because I was having trouble with the fuel gauge no being correct. I was just going to see how low I could run before it would move on the gauge. The rep said more fuel on board would only make it better as far as chine walk. The next trip out I filled up with fuel. I added 22.5 gallons. It is back. The walk is uncontrollable. I and a couple of friends all with plenty of experience cant drive through it. It only gets worse with any combination of jack plate or trim until you trim it down enough to get under 65 mph. I talked to the rep about it he is going to come ride again. I noticed in another thread where BUB Tosh on instagram running his Z520R at 74.1 MPH with no chine walk. If you will notice he only had 15 gallons of fuel on board according to the gauge. Any Ideas how to fix the chine walk or at least make it tolerable? I have ran a 23p 3 blade fury and a 24p 4 blade bravo, not much difference as far as chine walk. I will try to post after the rep rides again. Love the boat other than the chine walk and a few other little glitches.
    Last edited by Staveman; 10-18-2022 at 09:43 PM.
    2021 Ranger Z520R
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    3 Garmin 1 Humminbirds
    Garmin Force Trolling Motor

2. Member
    The R boat must have a very different hull. Over the years, I have had 3 Rangers and ridden in many others, and never had one chine walk. They typically don't lift enough to do that. Not being negative, just stating my opinion.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    My 2012 and 2014 Z520s, with E-Tec 250s and a Fury 25 prop, both would chine walk, but only when I was by myself with livewell empty and running above 70 mph. Since these are different hulls from the OP’s, and all the running variables might also have been different, I’m not sure that information is helpful, other than that balance at high speeds is necessary to smooth running.

Brad [22RangerZ520R] will be along sometime today to provide his input. Words of advice/experience from other R boat owners would be appreciated.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

My Z521C will try to walk a little at certain speeds and Jackplate/trim settings. It’s easily manageable.

If they’ve improved the performance of this hull…comparing driving to Rangers of the past is irrelevant. Not a dig by any means, but beyond the highly unlikely chance of a hull deformity, it will likely turnout to be driver experience and getting some seat time in the boat. It’s a good thing that it will perform beyond just holding the steering wheel.

5. Member
    My boat will walk if running light fuel and empty live wells and fishing alone but since switching to the 4 blade it’s never been a problem ….maybe it’s the prop, maybe it’s that the 4 blade is running just a mph or two slower. I could always just touch the trim down a touch and it would level up.
    New hull it’s likely going to be specific to the R to solve…what happens if you trim down just a little?
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

6. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I run mine with the jackplate around 35-40 and the trim around 25-30. The general concensus from the Z520R/Z521R FB page is that these R boats like it high. Also, it can slightly vary with your weight distribution.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

7. BBC SPONSOR
    On my R boat, I don't have any walk as described above. I have noticed this boat being different than my last 5 Rangers as in when you get it up on that last bit of pad, you do have to drive it some. ( My last 520 was the same way to get peak performance out of it as well ) It's nothing crazy by any means, but it's not just hold the steering wheel straight and go. It does take some driver input to keep it correct. My boat is loaded heavy with tackle, and full of fuel, by myself, livewells empty, I've consistently seen 72 to 73 throughout the summer in TN. ( no power poles ) When I broke it in this spring, fishing loaded, by myself, and light on fuel ( gauge said around 20 gallons ), I saw just under 76 out of it. I run my jackplate on the gauge ( when it's working LOL ) at 25. that equates to about the 2.5 inch mark on the tape on the plate. At wide open throttle, I trim it as high as it'll go, then once it gets all it has, I bump the trim down 2 -3 quick bumps, and generally pick up about another 1/2 to 3/4 of a M.P.H. Prop is the stock 23 fury that came on it and no plugs in the prop. My R is a dual console, as was the last 3 of the 5 Rangers I've owned.

Just curious, but how do you have your boat loaded? Mine is loaded with a hell of a lot more tackle than anyone needs, but it is strategically loaded. Heavy things like all my jigs, weights, swimbaits, glide baits, drop shot box, spinnerbaits, etc. are loaded in the back 2 compartments. The front center box has plastics, crankbaits, top water boxes/ seasonal lures, trailers, and stuff you'd go through more often. It is all in the center of the boat. I keep too many rods in the port side locker. The starboard side has rain suits, a paddle, a throw cushion, extra TM prop, and small tool box in it. The day box in front of the drivers console has a bag of various lines, and first aid kits in it. Basically picture it as an upside down "T" as to how the heavy portions are loaded. The top of the "T" being across the back deck storage boxes.

What I'm saying is that I feel like the load I am carrying is very balanced and the bulk of the weight is in the rear and very center of the boat. I don't know if that helps, but that's how I was taught to load a boat by my dad. All of my Rangers have performed very well speed and drivability wise and I feel like the way they are loaded might have helped with that. I've ridden in other Rangers that people complain they don't perform and noticed that almost all of them are loaded very very front heavy and have tackle in ALL of the front compartments, and the back boxes are empty.

8. Member
    Staveman,I don’t mean to doubt your abilities,but you mentioned not being able to drive through chine walk. That’s not the way to do it. You have to drive to prevent chine walk. You can feel it coming and then counter steer to prevent it,keeping the hull balanced on the pad. You Ranger rep should know this.

9. Member
    I have been all over the trim and jack plate. Would start raising the jp a bump at a time then trim up and down. I have not found a combination that works. When the fuel is down about 20 gal it runs great. I mean hands off. You fill it with fuel and its back. I have 39 hours on it. I have quite a bit of experience in a bass boat. Not saying I am the best by no means but I should have been able to find the sweet spot by now. I have tried a bravo 24p too but didn't make much difference.
    2021 Ranger Z520R
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    3 Garmin 1 Humminbirds

10. Member
    When I rode with the rep he watched me drive to see if I was trying to stay ahead of the walk with a bump of the wheel which I was. The thing was as I stated we could not make it walk. I was 20 gallons lower on fuel that I had ever run it. I always fueled up before I would go fishing. This trip the rep got to Kentucky Lake before I could leave work to meet him so I skipped fueling. Next trip I fueled up and there was the chine walk. I was glad I at least figured out heaver made it worse.
    2021 Ranger Z520R
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    3 Garmin 1 Humminbirds

11. Member
    I don’t have an answer unfortunately, but I do have an odd idea. Are you running lithium batteries? I have seen a few people talk about the weight savings changing how the boat handles (-150lbs or so). So if your boat likes to run lighter maybe a change over to remove that weight. I know it’s kinda extreme but just a thought.

12. Member
    Check the hydraulic steering. If you've got air in the system it will cause "walk" at lower speeds due to the excessive side to side play.

13. Member
    Since the R is advertised as a modified C hull, I feel like I can weigh in here too. Mine walks without fail when I am alone and really trim her up to get the last bit of speed out of her. I am 260ish and always figured this was due to having the majority of the boat out of the water and 260lbs on one side of the boat. I can fix this just by bumping her back down and getting a bit more keel in the water, but can still run high 60's doing this. I have no walk at all if I have a partner that weighs say 150 or more. This works for me, as I only typically drive wot on tournament day.

Since I fish primarily draw tournies, I leave one of my rear compartments empty for Co's. But I have all my stuff (tool box, rope, etc.) in the Port compartment to help off-set my weight on starboard side. My Co's are almost always confused by this, and say that the port side is usually the empty one for them. This has always surprised me, because it seems like a no brainer from a balance perspective.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

14. Member
    Lithium wall to wall. Had a AGM to start with Changed it with no help for the walk. I empty all my gear and tried that too still walking.

Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I don’t have an answer unfortunately, but I do have an odd idea. Are you running lithium batteries? I have seen a few people talk about the weight savings changing how the boat handles (-150lbs or so). So if your boat likes to run lighter maybe a change over to remove that weight. I know it’s kinda extreme but just a thought.
    2021 Ranger Z520R
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    3 Garmin 1 Humminbirds

15. Member
    The steering is tight. The walk starts a 65mph. Good to there.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    Check the hydraulic steering. If you've got air in the system it will cause "walk" at lower speeds due to the excessive side to side play.
    2021 Ranger Z520R
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    3 Garmin 1 Humminbirds

16. Member
    Thank everyone for the input. What I don't understand is why is it worse full of fuel? When I told the Ranger rep, the only thing different about our trip was I didn't fill the boat with fuel. He said the lighter boat would only make it better. C&OcharlieJr. is a friend of mine who has an R boat. He agreed to meet up with me in the next couple of weeks to see what he can do with it. Maybe he can find the combination. Thanks everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    Since the R is advertised as a modified C hull, I feel like I can weigh in here too. Mine walks without fail when I am alone and really trim her up to get the last bit of speed out of her. I am 260ish and always figured this was due to having the majority of the boat out of the water and 260lbs on one side of the boat. I can fix this just by bumping her back down and getting a bit more keel in the water, but can still run high 60's doing this. I have no walk at all if I have a partner that weighs say 150 or more. This works for me, as I only typically drive wot on tournament day.

Since I fish primarily draw tournies, I leave one of my rear compartments empty for Co's. But I have all my stuff (tool box, rope, etc.) in the Port compartment to help off-set my weight on starboard side. My Co's are almost always confused by this, and say that the port side is usually the empty one for them. This has always surprised me, because it seems like a no brainer from a balance perspective.
    2021 Ranger Z520R
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    3 Garmin 1 Humminbirds

17. Member
    Mine isn’t as stable as my C boat but it’s nothing too bad at all. Sorry, but I’m no help.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

I will say mine will get a little funny if the motors too low. Like said above it runs stronger higher than most 520s. I have a bobs plate so I can’t really compare to an atlas as far as numbers go but I run mine at about 3 1/4 on the tape but I can actually run it higher without loosing much speed. I can run over 70 with no hands on the wheel.
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

Save yourself along of time and try to find someone near you that really understands boat set ups and can drive a pad boat. Most guys that owns high performance style hulls could help.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing122 View Post
    I will say mine will get a little funny if the motors too low. Like said above it runs stronger higher than most 520s. I have a bobs plate so I can’t really compare to an atlas as far as numbers go but I run mine at about 3 1/4 on the tape but I can actually run it higher without loosing much speed. I can run over 70 with no hands on the wheel.
    I am running a Bobs jack plate too but I have no gauge yet. I am waiting on the NEMA device from Bob. I have run it up as high as 2.5" by tape measure not by the manual gauge mounted on the plate. I am glad to hear from someone running a Bobs Plate though. I have a co-worker who had a Allison he has run my boat with the same results. He did run the plate higher than i had it but again I was lower with fuel. It was before I found out it was worse when it was full of fuel. Man I love this boat. Hopefully we will figure it out. Thanks!
    2021 Ranger Z520R
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    3 Garmin 1 Humminbirds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast