Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I found the bow I wanted by going to our local archery store, then I got online looking for the best price, amazon had the best price on the 10point crossbow I wanted, placed the order, got the bow, then shared the wealth with the local archery store with buying the bolts, broadheads, and accessories needed to make it ready to hunt.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

Check the Ten Point website. I bought a Wicked Ridge NXT400 on there about 2 months ago at $400 off retail. So I paid $799 for the whole outfit with scope and 3 bolts. Love the crossbow. Its only 6.5" wide when cocked and that makes a big difference when you are in a treestand. I took a big doe with it last weekend in Georgia.
    2016 Tracker V175 Pro Guide/115Mercury Four stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8shot View Post
    Check the Ten Point website. I bought a Wicked Ridge NXT400 on there about 2 months ago at $400 off retail. So I paid $799 for the whole outfit with scope and 3 bolts. Love the crossbow. Its only 6.5" wide when cocked and that makes a big difference when you are in a tree stand. I took a big doe with it last weekend in Georgia.
    TenPoint is offering a certified pre-owned for $699. https://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/pr...ridge-nxt-400/

A good site to join to gain knowledge: https://www.crossbownation.com/forum...-discussion.3/

No matter what crossbow you choose, pay close attention to the warnings and instructions. Handled incorrectly you can hurt yourself badly. If there's a mechanical cocking mechanism, you can also do costly damage not following the correct procedures.
    Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 10-20-2022 at 10:07 AM.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv/LVS34
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

I will admit that I’m not the most serious deer hunter here. But I enjoy sitting after work a couple times a week. I bought a Bearx for around $400 and it has done a fine job of killing a deer. It might not last forever but for me it suits what I need.

5. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I believe G-Man changed his opinion on them.....
    I am a healthy not disabled crossbow hunter and I got a kick out of his post. Should have known people would take offense.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

6. Member
    Don’t know where you are in Ohio but 10 Point Crossbows are built in Mogadore Ohio near Akron. They have a show room and can purchase their product on site, at a good discount.
    Last edited by Cover Dog; 10-20-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

7. Member
    Go to Crossbow Nation.....read, read, read.....those boys know their stuff. I did a LOT of research before I jumped into the crossbow game and much of it was on CBN. Good group of folks that are very knowledgeable and will welcome and help you.

I've got 2 crossbows and have also hunted KS with a high dollar 10 point (great bow). I studied a bunch of em looking for my mission and the best bang for the buck. I settled on the following.....

I've got a Centerpoint CP400, essentially a Ravin R10. (Centerpoint now owns Ravin) it's VERY accurate out to 100 yards. I'd never take a shot on a deer that far out, but, 50 is no problem. It feels like shooting a rifle, which is what I wanted. (There are FAR smaller and more compact profiles available) If your like me and you want something to take to the field a couple of weeks a year to hunt deer then, for the money, the CP400 is hard to beat. I hunt KS (when I draw) with it and all I have to do is load up the box in the bed and I'm good.

However, I've not been active in the crossbow game in over 2 years so I'm SURE a lot has changed. I do know prices are through the roof nowadays.....my set up is now considerably more expensive than the sub $1k I've got in everything.....homemade case, bunch of quality bolts and blades, crank, etc etc.

I'll warn you that it's just like fishing....addictive and can be very expensive.

0107211935.jpg
    0104211308_HDR~2.jpg
    1222201615a~2.jpg
    1222201614c.jpg

8. Member
    Just skip all the others and get you a top of the line Raven. Lol

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Just skip all the others and get you a top of the line Raven. Lol
    Totally agree.....IF you've got +/- $3k for a first crossbow and accessories. Btw, it's "Ravin"... 😉

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
    Don’t know where you are in Ohio but 10 Point Crossbows are built in Mogadore Ohio near Akron. They have a show room and can purchase their product on site, at a good discount.
    Bummer, almost as far you get from Akron. I'm in southwest Ohio. That would be cool.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody60 View Post
    Sportsman's Outfitters
    This ^ They have some good deals.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Quote Originally Posted by usabassin View Post
    Bummer, almost as far you get from Akron. I'm in southwest Ohio. That would be cool.
    In that case you definitely should visit Broken Rack Archery, 4287 Armstrong Blvd, Batavia. They carry Tenpoint, Wicked Ridge, and Ravin bows. You can try out different bows in their large range. Ask for Tommy, he's their resident crossbow expert. All the staff are very knowledgeable, friendly, and patient. Customer service is top notch.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv/LVS34
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usabassin View Post
    A little more then a 3 hour ride.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

Be sure to buy a bow that has some means of keeping your fingers below the string line. Some use guards, some use large palm swells to help keep your finger tips below the string line. I know that I purchased one about 8-9 yrs ago that didn't provide enough of this safety. A modern crossbow will take the end of your finger off like laying it on a chopping block and using a meat cleaver.

15. Member
    After putting well over 1,000 crossbows together at a local archery shop that were sold there....I don't recommend buying one online. First off, we spent a lot of time with the rep of each company going over the details of each model and trust me, on a lot of these you will be scratching your head on how the hell to operate one of these. A lot of them if drawn incorrectly will lock up and have to be torn apart or sent back to be repaired. And back to my original statement, they come in a box and all need some type of assembly. If you buy online and have a problem and take it to your local dealer, don't expect them to jump right on it. If you bought one from us and needed help, you got it.....buy elsewhere and bring it in, you go to back of line and it's $60 hr labor when we are done working on our customers bows.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Genovese View Post
    After putting well over 1,000 crossbows together at a local archery shop that were sold there....I don't recommend buying one online. First off, we spent a lot of time with the rep of each company going over the details of each model and trust me, on a lot of these you will be scratching your head on how the hell to operate one of these. A lot of them if drawn incorrectly will lock up and have to be torn apart or sent back to be repaired. And back to my original statement, they come in a box and all need some type of assembly. If you buy online and have a problem and take it to your local dealer, don't expect them to jump right on it. If you bought one from us and needed help, you got it.....buy elsewhere and bring it in, you go to back of line and it's $60 hr labor when we are done working on our customers bows.
    As it should be. You are paying that price for the Service they offer.

Keep in mind how much you value maintenance vs speed. I have had two crossbows and each is on the opposite end of the spectrum.
    My first was a Parker Thunderhawk. It shot around 310 fps, was drawn/cocked with a string and shoots as well now as it did 12 years ago. Still on original cable and shoots exactly like it did when put away last season. I think I paid about $400 for it. And my hunting buddy
    is still using it.

My current bow is a Ravin R10. It is blistering fast (over 400fps), accurate and is drawn by an detachable crank handle. It has a significantly smaller profile but weighs a bit more than I'd prefer. However all of that tech and power comes with a sacrfice. The strings should be replaced every 2 years (or 75-100 shots.) So Shooting for fun puts you on a timer. I think I paid over $1500 for it.

Both of my neighbors have equally expensive TenPoints. One had a limb explode last month and the other had a cracked limb he noticed before shooting it. Tenpoint is a good brand, so I'm not "nocking" them. But just an example that, like boats, speed = maintenance and more attention.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    Keep in mind how much you value maintenance vs speed. I have had two crossbows and each is on the opposite end of the spectrum.
    My first was a Parker Thunderhawk. It shot around 310 fps, was drawn/cocked with a string and shoots as well now as it did 12 years ago. Still on original cable and shoots exactly like it did when put away last season. I think I paid about $400 for it. And my hunting buddy
    is still using it.

My current bow is a Ravin R10. It is blistering fast (over 400fps), accurate and is drawn by an detachable crank handle. It has a significantly smaller profile but weighs a bit more than I'd prefer. However all of that tech and power comes with a sacrfice. The strings should be replaced every 2 years (or 75-100 shots.) So Shooting for fun puts you on a timer. I think I paid over $1500 for it.

Both of my neighbors have equally expensive TenPoints. One had a limb explode last month and the other had a cracked limb he noticed before shooting it. Tenpoint is a good brand, so I'm not "nocking" them. But just an example that, like boats, speed = maintenance and more attention.
    My Brother had a Parker and he loved it. Said one day just shooting it he "smelt something like Burnt Fiberglass" and the next shot the limbs exploded.
    Friend of his sold them and he took it back to him to find out Parker had gone out of business.

They all can have limbs blow. I've seen pics from a guy sitting in the stand when his Barnett Limbs blew. Can happen with any brand.

19. Member
    Wyvern Creations. I have a 3-year-old Tenpoint for sale if interested. It's in the hunting classified.

Go to a shop and shoot what they have then just buy a Ravin. I can tell you first hand no other company will give you service like Ravin. No bull.
    Proud Army Dad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast