Question about shifting please??

I know this is not Allison specific, but I find this group to be the most helpful!

I have a 2014 Xb21 bassport with 300XS

Lately, was having an issue when trying to shift out of gear, back to neutral. Adjusted hot foot to make sure it was returning to idle. Replaced the cable that causes the motor to stall when shifting out of gear. Still have the issue. Feels like cable is hanging. Then I noticed, I have the issue with my 2 bigger props. 29 Hyd and 30 Promax. When I put my 26 promax on, it shifts out of gear easily!

Is it possible those larger wheels are spinning and causing torque that the smaller prop doesn’t?

If I have a larger prop on, I can turn the motor off in gear, and it will slide into neutral easily.

Wondering if there is something else I should check, or just assume it’s physics at work??

Weird question- thanks in advance

MET
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I had that very same problem. Larger props were hard to get out of gear and into neutral. I ended up having it in the shop and it was the shift sensor on the motor. ALSO....I had one of the heavy duty rubber flo torq hubs that I was using as well on the larger props and for whatever reason that hub also caused some of the shifting problems. Are you using one of those flo torq hubs?

I have the same motor as you. And now its going back into the shop for a leaking bottom crankshaft seal AGAIN as I have what looks like 2 stroke Mercury racing oil on the driveshaft.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Craig- I do have that type of hub. Wonder if I can hammer it out? I will try. I also replaced the cable sensor that stalls the motor when shifting. Didn’t help.

I will try changing the hub and let you know. Thanks for the help.

4. Member
    Michael, the hub can be hammered out. Set the prop on wood blocks. I used a large heavy duty socket. Yeah, not the smartest thing taking a chance on breaking a socket but it's all I could think of. If you ever out it back in again slather it and the prop with grease. That'll help it go in and come out better. Unless someone here has a better idea. I removed that flo torq hub and used a regular one and my shifting problem went away.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Did what you said Craig….shift problem cured!

thanks!

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Need to ditch the SSR hub, especially in a surfacing environment. SSR is also not approved for 2 stroke use.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

7. Member
    good to know tim. I wasn't told that when I bought mine. I don't use anymore anyway because of that issue
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    good to know tim. I wasn't told that when I bought mine. I don't use anymore anyway because of that issue
    On the V8 SM the SSR hub will allow the prop to oscillate and cause some issues there as well. Its really designed to be on the pontoon or pleasure boat to help absorb the shock load from shifting. The go fast stuff needs the old tried and true solid hub.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

9. Member
    Yeah the old tried and true "black spacers that come unglued after a while and have to be glued back on" solid hub....that one?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Yeah the old tried and true "black spacers that come unglued after a while and have to be glued back on" solid hub....that one?
    That’s the one
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

What about the SSR HD on the V8 ?

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    What about the SSR HD on the V8 ?
    SSR HD is not to be used in a surfacing environment. The rubber hub allows the prop to oscillate and will cause issues. You should be using the old solid hub per Mercury Racing. We have seen issues with the exhaust bolts breaking with the SSR hubs on the V8.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

Thanks Tim----
    Seems I received some miss information when I bought this rig in 2019. (was told to run the SSR HD)
    I seldom run it surfacing so I guess that's why I've not had problems.
    On a side note, I know of a new rig that was shipped with the SSR HD....

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Thanks Tim----
    Seems I received some miss information when I bought this rig in 2019. (was told to run the SSR HD)
    I seldom run it surfacing so I guess that's why I've not had problems.
    On a side note, I know of a new rig that was shipped with the SSR HD....
    I cant speak for anyone else but I do not even keep the SSR in stock. I am not a fan of it personally.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X