Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    It's by far my favorite technique, heavily used from spawn season all the way until winter. I tend to do a little better on jigs vs DS in winter here, but that may vary depending on where you live.

Lots of great advice in this thread. Like other have say, you definitely want to be hitting specific targets. Not really a search bait, the vast majority of bites come on specific casts at structure or fish. Also, most bites are very lights, usually just feel a little extra weight.

I don't do much vertical fishing with mine. I find with livescope, even dropping directly on a fish they tend to not eat it nearly as well. I like them to be at least 40 feet away from the boat, I will bomb casts at to 120 feet if I think I see one out that far on my livescope. I think the years of 2D vertical fishing have made them vary wary to boats above their heads in my area.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

2. Member
    I see on TW reviews that lot's of folks use small paddle tails with DS. How do you fish these vs the more traditional worms and shad shapes?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    I see on TW reviews that lot's of folks use small paddle tails with DS. How do you fish these vs the more traditional worms and shad shapes?
    I don't fish them a ton, but a lot of guys around here use them, especially fishing around docks. They will cast them parallel with the docks and slowly reel the bait in. It's a very effective way of keeping a small swimbait right in the strike zone and working it slowly.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Member
    Some great advice in the posts above.

I used to make fun of my son in law who would fish the DS nearly all day long. Now it is my go to finesse rig also. I guess I use it a lot almost like a search bait, casting it out in front of the boat, working it back very slowly, as I am slowly working down a deep weedline. I'll stop when I catch a fish and work that area, with a bit of vertical fishing as well, particularly if there is a structure like a rock pile. I use 1/4 ounce almost exclusively. This year I found out that the Roboworm is a great DS bait. It is now my go to bait. Although I am not a great fisherman, the DS was number one for me this year.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    For the guys struggling with it...

Tie up a power-shot (heavy line/hook/weight) on a caster and toss it around, very similar to dragging a jig. If you've got an issue with very light gear it's a great way to start transitioning over.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    So I need some help if possible.
    I suck at a Drop Shot and want to get better with it.
    On the lake i fish the most it is a huge player on the lake most all year. And for the life of me i can not get used to this stupid thing
    The lake is really deep and really clear most all year, Unless we get a pretty big rain that stains the river arms up.
    Lake has a lot of standing timber in it as well as a lot of submerged standing timber.
    When you all are fishing this thing is there a certian particular type of cover or structure your looking for?
    I assume the bite is more of a small tick than say a jig bite or T-rig plastic.
    I know a lot use them shallow and also deep. for deep stuff are you just fishing it vertical? or casting it and letting it swing deep?
    Any info will help. I know how to rig it, Have all the gear to use it but can not figure this thing out for the life of me.
    Just gotta put your time in. That's what we've all had to do.
    Last edited by djb750; 11-10-2022 at 06:39 AM.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12