Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mythbusters fishing edition...........year round baits

Somewhere along the way it became accepted that jigs and jerkbaits are cold water only baits. Granted they work extremely well in cooler tempsbut if yiu are not throwing both year round then you are missing out. They work well even in dead of summer.

At least in my opinion they do. That opinion probably ain't worth much but it's mine....

2. Member
    Yes, they do.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Never heard anyone say a jig was for cold water only.

4. Member
    I usually have a jig tied on all year. Jerkbait is tied on all year but normally throw it more when water is cooler or targeting small mouth
    Fish have fins, they swim

I have heard people say that about a jerkbait. But where I am in MO and the lakes we fish I would bet every top 5 all year atleast someone if not all were throwing a jig at somepoint.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Never heard anyone say a jig was for cold water only.

I have heard it for about as long as I have fished. I had a guy at a big outdoor show a few years back tell me that he stops throwing a jig when the water hits 65 degrees. He said they just stop working at that point. He was pretty adamant about it.....

Then again I have had a lot of guys say that you can't use a rod with a technique specific label for anything else except that technique....

7. Member
    sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Don't tell the fish they are not supposed to bite a jig only in winter!

8. Member
    Blade baits are another one that work year round. They do work better in very cold water (usually the colder the better), but they can be effective during the summer especially for walleye
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Blade baits are another one that work year round. They do work better in very cold water (usually the colder the better), but they can be effective during the summer especially for walleye

Bladed jigs too. A lot of people think they are seasonal.

I have had some really good days throwing buzzbaits and toowaters in early January. Get a couple of days of warmer weather in a row and head back into some shallow creeks and pockets abd it can be game on with a buzzbait in January.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post

I have had some really good days throwing buzzbaits and toowaters in early January. Get a couple of days of warmer weather in a row and head back into some shallow creeks and pockets abd it can be game on with a buzzbait in January.
    Lipless cranks are also good year round but presentation changes

I did really well this summer fishing a blade bait in a school of bass positioned on a drop off. Let the bait hit the bottom, pop the rod tip up once or twice, and let it fall back to the bottom on a semi tight line. They would crush it on the fall. This pattern worked all summer long, but when the water temp dropped to 70, the fish repositioned and the bite was off. In my case, cooler water killed the blade bait bite

ive done really well with a chatterbait in the winter under the right conditions.

I was going to bring this up, also tail spinners..... they are year round baits.... especially in deep water.

I have a rod set up for Jbs in the rod box year round. Same with about 4 rods of various jigs.
    also a rod that will have a blade or a tail spinners.

I might have too many rods in the boat that are specifically set up and stay for the whole year.......

14. Member
    I've not heard that jigs are best in cold water. While I do think a jig can be a good choice anytime, my jig bite usually is best in spring with emergence of crayfish. But it works well all spring, black and blue jig during bluegill spawn will get some big bites.

Cooling temps , for me , does mean a better jerk bait bite as fall is all about shad. But, especially in water with some current the jerk bait will get bit all summer too.

Opinions are like $&*holes--everone has one.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

Slow Rowing a Spinnerbait Works

16. Member
    Though they will eat the jig year round here. Not my first choice in winter. Jig bite gets really good here post spawn and good all summer

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    I have heard people say that about a jerkbait. But where I am in MO and the lakes we fish I would bet every top 5 all year atleast someone if not all were throwing a jig at somepoint.
    They will not bite a jig on BULL SHOALS............................................ .................................................. .....................................

18. Member
    I fish a jig year round, Live or die by it in a lot of tournament. If I am looking for a 20lb+ sack of fish you can bet I will be flipping, pitching and or dragging a jig depending on the cover and situation I am fishing. It has paid off for me many time. You can keep the yerk-baits, I don't like fishing them even when the fish prefer them, hence the die by a jig part of my statement .
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

19. Member
    Somewhere along the way it became accepted that jigs and jerkbaits are cold water only baits.
    They say the same about A-Rigs

There’s so many styles of jig fishing nowadays I guess it can depend on what jigs your throwing. I’ve noticed jigging craw patterns work best in summer and not so much in colder waters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast