Lake Tawakoni Advice for First Time THSBA Team

We are headed to Tawakoni next month for Dylan's second THSBA tournament.
    We have never fished it but will prefish it soon.
    Any advice on ramps to use or avoid and navigation issues on stumps, rocks or shallows etc would be appreciated.
    Looks like the lake is 3 foot low to last year and is at its lowest in 12 months. Does the low water create any issues on particular ramps etc?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

I have spent a lot of time out there in the fall and if it were me I would urn through as many docks as you can. The lake fishes super shallow year round and don't be afraid to throw on backsides of the shallow docks.
    The lake is fairly easy to navigate but there are some areas that will get you in trouble. The middle of the lake is full of timber near 2 Mile bridge. I highly suggest spending the money for the Tawakoni navigation chip on this site. Just take into consideration the lake level.

http://www.lakepalestinefishingguide.com/

I also suggest using the state park ramp if possible. If you have an annual TP&W parks pass you can call the state park and get the gate code for the day of the tournament so that you can enter and launch before gates open. Best and safest ramp by far on the lake.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 10-24-2022 at 11:17 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I have spent a lot of time out there in the fall and if it were me I would urn through as many docks as you can. The lake fishes super shallow year round and don't be afraid to throw on backsides of the shallow docks.
    The lake is fairly easy to navigate but there are some areas that will get you in trouble. The middle of the lake is full of timber near 2 Mile bridge. I highly suggest spending the money for the Tawakoni navigation chip on this site. Just take into consideration the lake level.

http://www.lakepalestinefishingguide.com/

I also suggest using the state park ramp if possible. If you have an annual TP&W parks pass you can call the state park and get the gate code for the day of the tournament so that you can enter and launch before gates open. Best and safest ramp by far on the lake.
    Thanks Mark. That is the info I needed and it is much appreciated. I will get the download and get the boys up there for at least one pre- fishing day. I am joining a small East Texas trail to get to know these lakes new to me and the boys. My grandson barked that if we had moved to Texas 2 years earlier, we would know all these lakes by now. I couldn't agree more!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Thanks Mark. That is the info I needed and it is much appreciated. I will get the download and get the boys up there for at least one pre- fishing day. I am joining a small East Texas trail to get to know these lakes new to me and the boys. My grandson barked that if we had moved to Texas 2 years earlier, we would know all these lakes by now. I couldn't agree more!
    Tom

What date is your event?

5. Member
    11/12 for the THSBA East Division.

6. Member
    Mark is on point- fishes shallow all year...just be careful in areas you are unsure if timber is visible
    Also, if it gets windy, it gets rough quick.

Hope yall have a great time...I love that lake

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudbone View Post
    Mark is on point- fishes shallow all year...just be careful in areas you are unsure if timber is visible
    Also, if it gets windy, it gets rough quick.

Hope yall have a great time...I love that lake
    Thanks. Good to hear you you love it! I like fishing shallow and so do the boys. It will test their casting and technique skills as well as keep them engaged through a long day for them. Wind was an issue yesterday for sure. I am headed to Fork for two days and a club tournament.

Thanks. Good to hear you you love it! I like fishing shallow and so do the boys. It will test their casting and technique skills as well as keep them engaged through a long day for them. Wind was an issue yesterday for sure. I am headed to Fork for two days and a club tournament.

Don't be afraid to fish the ugliest looming docks that look bare either. Also if there is a single stick up in the water it might have a couple of fish on it. It's crazy to see. There will be a beautiful brushed up dock and no bites. You will then see a simple little metal pole dock next to it bare of cover and it will have a limit on it.

Squarebills, spinnerbaits, bladed jigs, Texas rig baits and jigs are money. Buzzbaits too. The frog bite will not be as good as usual due to low water. They love a jig out there too. California 420, green pumpkin and blue fleck on plastics. White or shad pattern on moving baits. That is the recipe I use.

You are hitting it at a prime time. Should be a good event.gonna have to have 18-20lbs a day to have a chance to win and at least 15lbs usually to get a check.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Don't be afraid to fish the ugliest looming docks that look bare either. Also if there is a single stick up in the water it might have a couple of fish on it. It's crazy to see. There will be a beautiful brushed up dock and no bites. You will then see a simple little metal pole dock next to it bare of cover and it will have a limit on it.

Squarebills, spinnerbaits, bladed jigs, Texas rig baits and jigs are money. Buzzbaits too. The frog bite will not be as good as usual due to low water. They love a jig out there too. California 420, green pumpkin and blue fleck on plastics. White or shad pattern on moving baits. That is the recipe I use.

You are hitting it at a prime time. Should be a good event.gonna have to have 18-20lbs a day to have a chance to win and at least 15lbs usually to get a check.
    Thanks Mark. Much appreciated. I hope the boys can capitalize on your good info. Anything above 79th is an improvement for them. I suggested that improving their position each time should be their goal. We will see if we can get it done. New water will be good for me as Fork pounded me again today. It has been tough since I returned to it a week ago.

Thanks Mark. Much appreciated. I hope the boys can capitalize on your good info. Anything above 79th is an improvement for them. I suggested that improving their position each time should be their goal. We will see if we can get it done. New water will be good for me as Fork pounded me again today. It has been tough since I returned to it a week ago.

Best advice I have for you on Fork is to have a short memory.....

11. Member

12. Member
    Well, we did get to prefish Tawakoni once three weeks ago.
    Wind knocked out our second day.
    Mark's advice was spot on as we used State Park Ramp that was fine even in strong north wind today.
    North wind wrecked all our spots we located in the south wind 3 weeks ago.
    Dylan worked hard as a solo and caught 7, with 2 over 14" to weigh.
    In his team standings of 20 teams he took 2nd or maybe third, final results still pending.
    He had a ball and is very pleased with his results compared to the rest of the team.
    He really enjoyed the comradarie with his teammates and competitors exchanging what worked and how many.
    He thanked me repeatedly for being his boat captain and taking him fishing.
    He really liked the new spinning rod I bought him (toadfish 6'8") and it is his new favorite.
    I love taking him fishing and watching him fish without me making a cast all day. Very different experience for me not to cast a rod all day but was on the water alll day.
    Oak Creek in the north wind was the winner location apparently. Log that one in the computer!
    I love being in East Texas and everyone loves bass fishing or fishing of some kind.

13. Member
    Results are in: Dylan took 38th overall with 263 teams fishing he was 4th best out of the 20 teams from his school.
    Nice move up from his first tournament where he and his teammate took 79th weighing two fish.
    On to the next one in February at Palestine.

15. Member