Classic question

Currently in a 2004 Classic bought new. Starting to think about my retirement present, a replacement. I hold onto vehicles for a long time. Love the fit, finish, ride of boat so am sold on Basscat brand. I've owned Nitro and Stratos before thus boat. But more storage is desired. I don't fish tourneys and don't plan to, it is usually just 2 people max in the boat. Considered AL boat but read of cracks and nightmare fix stories. I just like a 60mph fiberglass boat. No need for power poles or high end electronics, my Garmin 7" screens are fine.

My budget is <$60k total. I looked at Classic online and it appears to be within budget. My question is, would it fit my likes and needs above? I think it would, but wanted to hear first-hand from folks in similar situation or experience. My biggest concern is the resin differences in platforms/series/models Basscat offers. TIA, Mike

I was lucky enough to break in the first "New Style" classic when I was selling Bass Cats. Being retired now the new classic would be my choice of boats. It has a wide stable front deck with lots of storage and "stumble" room. 70 mph was no problem with a 200 and enjoyable. Double check but I think you can upgrade the resin choice as an option although I don't think it is needed with the lifetime warranty. I did like the look of the 4" trailer upgrade though.
    Good Luck with your decision.
    PanteraClassic.jpg

3. Member
    Thanks. Wasn't aware of resin choice. Agreed on trailer. I do wish they offered metal fenders, mine look bad.

4. Member
    Love my 2020 Classic, the offset deck lids are a very neat feature.

I had a 1996 Classic and then a Pantera 4. I was really eying the new classic but I ended up in a used Cougar FTD. I really like the 19 foot size boat and am looking to get back into one. After looking at the new classic hard it really addresses every issue I had with my 1996 classic (more storage, wider deck, modern updates, etc). I think the new classic would be a great boat for you and if you are looking to get rid of your 2004 let me know. I have relatives in Cincinnati.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

6. Member
    My 2019 Classic fits me fine. I too am retired, no tournaments, and fish alone most of the time, occasionally with one other person. Lots of storage for sure, more than my previous P2. Nice wide front deck with a configuration that I really like with the center rod locker. I upgraded to the 4 inch trailer, and have the Merc 200 4 stroke V8. At my stage, I have become a cruiser, and, with my recently installed four blade prop, can cruise at low 40's and get up on pad, making for good efficiency. But, periodically when I feel the need to "feel the BCB rush", high speeds are there. Hole shot is ridiculous with it, just like the P2.

The only issue I had with it was leakage in one of the underseat compartments, but, having a 2019, only the second year of the model, I understand that it has been addressed by BCB.

PM me if you have any questions or want some more info.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    I have the 3 inch trailer on my 2020 classic. I've towed it thousands of miles in the last two years with zero issues.

From the front, imo the Classic fishes like a 20 ft boat. Two anglers is no problem at all. Never had anyone in my boat who hasn't been impressed by the size, ride and storage.

8. Member
    I've had my 2020 classic for about year, bought it used. It's easy to drive and fishes great. The bigger deck is wider then the Cougar I had previous to this one. Plenty of storage and with the 200 four stroke, it's jus goes. I like cruising low 50's and just smooth at those speeds. The only upgrade for me would be the 4 inch trailer frame, nothing wrong with the 3 inch frame but it does flex more when towing.

9. Member
    I wonder when the dealers will have more stock. They seem to sell very quickly. One upgrade i would strongly consider would be a ghost trolling motor. That way if you considered going to a 36 volt system all you have to do is hit a few buttons and you will have it. Good Luck!!

10. Member
    I love the classic. If you had told me before driving this boat in winter conditions, that it would be this smooth and dry in big water, I would not believe it. It's versatile... I've also had it in some incredibly skinny water, and it maneuvers easily.

I love it. We had an early model with the aluminum fuel tank - having a plastic fuel tank so that condensation is less of a concern and adding 2 more strokes to each combustion cycle are the only things I would change.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

11. Member
    It was tough for me when choosing between classic and P2. The live well system in the Vision series is something I simply do not like. That wasn't the only reason, I chose P2, but it was up there.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

12. Member
    Has anyone took a classic and Put a Sho on it? I wonder how it would run flashed!!

I have a 2018 Classic with a 200 SHO. I love it, haven't had it flashed but that is definitely in my plans.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joey Moore; 10-26-2022 at 01:40 PM.

14. Member
    I looked really hard at the classic and sabre. I loved the wider deck and that is a huge selling point. I usually fish alone and ultimately decided on the PII because of the SP package. You cannot go wrong with any model Bass Cat IMHO. The "rush" is great, but as I am getting older, not as important. My kids on the other hand love going 70+ mph...ahhh...the joys of youth!

15. Member
    Hello! Hows everone feel about the 30 gallon tank? Ive been looking hard at this model since it came out and thats my only concern. For the guys that put a 4 blade on their boats how did it effect the boat. Thanks Hammy

16. Member
    Honestly my 30 gallon causes me to watch the gauge alot more but I've never even run it close. These Mercs get decent fuel mileage. Most I've run out of it was a bit over 1/2 a tank in a day.

I also had a Bravo on the boat for 15 minutes. I didn't like it. It had a ton of stern lift for a boat that with my setup just doesn't need it. Your mileage may vary.

17. Member
    I have never ran out of fuel on the 30 gallons, it's 30 gallons of fuel and the only way you would run out of fuel is if you aren't paying attention to how much you have. I get there are those that make super long runs for tourneys but still.

18. Member
    Sabre FTD special package. I retired from guiding and Tourn fishing and jumped right out of my 21 foot boats to a Sabre 18'1" 175 Bow graph, dual console birds, Ultrex and its a 63 to 65 mph boat that runs rough water really well for an 18 footer.

I would think a modestly rigged classic would be a great fit for you. They are wide at the nose and very stable. I had an eyra and my co angler had a new classic we would take turns each event we fished. I really liked the extra width up front on the classic and the construction is very similar on all their boat models. I would look for one that had a trailer upgrade as alot of them had that added by the dealers. The 200 will push that boat 70 in most situations but cruises well at 60. Theres an absurd amount of storage on that model as well.... If you come across a deal on a used caracal I would not dismiss it either also a great boat /wide and stable.

The classic not being the full VE blend would not be noticeable in most cases. You can search their construction and the years they ran xyz resins. https://basscat.com/forum/groups/basscatowner/resins/
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"