X2Power Group 31M 12V 100AH 1150CCA AGM Issue

First, I am not trying to blame any equipment owner or their equipment, just trying to get some answers.

I have gone through two X2 Power Group 31 batteries in 41 months. I am running a 2019 Ranger Z520C with a 250HP Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke. My battery setup since May of 2021 has been three Ionic 100AH lithium batteries for trolling, one Group 31 X2 Power 100AH AGM battery for cranking and electronics, and an Ionic 4 bank charger. Bank 1 is the AGM cranking battery and banks 2-4 are the Ionic batteries. I fish about 30 to 35 times a year.

My issue is I am now on my third cranking battery since May of 2019. In November 2021 I had to jump start my engine during a tournament, I took the battery in and it was declared dead, but replaced under warranty. Just this Saturday, I had two jump start my engine three different times to make it through the tournament. Took the battery in to Batteries Plus Bulbs where they hooked a meter up and read a voltage of 10.7, not 2 hours after running back for the weigh in. The battery is currently being tested to see if it needs to be replaced under warranty.

My question is, why am I going through AGM cranking batteries so quickly. The first battery lasted from May 2019 to November 2021 (30 Months) and the second battery lasted from November 2021 to October 2022 (11 months). One thing to point out is I switched to the Ionic charger in May of 2021. I am not saying the charger is to blame, but I did notice white residue (oxidation / corrosion) on the negative terminal of the cranking battery when removing it on Saturday and based on some quick research that is caused by undercharging. My Smart Craft gauge reads 14.1v to 14.3v while on plane, so that tells me the alternator is working, so that leaves the charger, two faulty batteries, or some other electronic issue causing me to burn through two batteries in 41 months; or 17 months since I switched chargers. Everything I read tells me the Ionic chargers are awesome so I am having a hard time believing the charger may be the issue, but I cannot ignore the undercharging indication on the battery terminal. Also, my Ionic batteries for the trolling motor appear to be working flawlessly and have no oxidation/corrosion.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any ideas on what I should check?
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250L Pro XS TM
    SER# 2B575047

2. Member
    What voltage is the AGM bank of the Ionic showing when charging?

3. Member
    Steve, do you know the DOD at the end of the day? Exactly how many amps are your electronics pulling, and how long is your typical day. If you came off the water and your battery is under 11 volts, that will kill that battery real fast. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Are you unplugging the charger immediately after charging? They will over charge an AGM or Lead if not
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

5. Member
    I will try and answer the questions as best I can.

1. What voltage is the AGM bank of the Ionic showing when charging? Answer: I hooked a voltmeter up today after it had been on the charger since Sunday night. Here are the readings; 4:23PM = 14.01 volts on charger, 4:25PM = 13.67 volts with charger disconnected, 5:11PM = 13.24 volts with charger disconnected. This is on the brand new AGM battery that has been used for 1 day. Batteries Plus Bulbs is still testing the old battery.

2. Do you know the DOD at the end of the day? Exactly how many amps are your electronics pulling, and how long is your typical day. Answer: I do not know the DOD, in fact I do not even know what DOD stands for. I do not know the exact amps being pulled, but here is what I do know...I typically fish 8 hours per day, I run two 12 inch HDS Carbons all day long and I run my live well all day on the L setting, 1 minute on 2 minutes off, and I use the power poles probably 4 to 5 times a day. I would think a Group 31 AGM could handle that without issue.

3. Are you unplugging the charger immediately after charging? Answer: No, as I understand it the charger design should allow for leaving it connected to the batteries for long periods of time, days or even weeks. It is supposed to sense the battery's charge level and turn on and off as needed to maintain a full charge.
    Last edited by Maine-Basser; 10-18-2022 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

6. Member
    I just replaced my 2 1/2 year old X2 because it was declared dead and I've seen a few other posts about it not living up to all the hype. I won't buy another one and I won't recommend it to anyone again.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

Each company have a little different info but all lifepo chargers work the same. Constant voltage til the BMS shuts off. A Lithium charger doesn’t peak charger like a lead acid or AGM so it can and will cook the battery . This is from millertech . Millertech and Dakota also say that the dual pro, minnkota and other will charge their lithium but only charge to about 80%

This charger can also effectively charge your AGM or SLA
    batteries, (when charging these types, we recommend dis-
    connecting the charger soon after the batteries become
    fully charged)

This charger can also be used in many different configurations!

8. Member
    The X2 a.k.a northstar is a great but requires a different charge than most batterys. I killed one early myself using a dual pro delta volt charger. Through extensive testing on myself I learned the DP just was not fully charging the battery correctly. My Northstar was made up under warranty. I change to a Minnkota charger(precision pcl) because I do run a lithium house battery. I performedthe same test processes as I did on the DP on my MK. The MK has performed flawless. I would call the battery manufacturer(not the place selling the battery) and ask about how and what chargers are approved for their battery. My bet is it is your charger
    Last edited by Redngoo; 10-19-2022 at 04:57 AM.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

9. Member
    Steve, DOD is depth of discharge(%) Hopefully your 10.7 was a one time event. There are charts for converting voltage to DOD for various type batteries. The X2 would be a TPPL type.(Thin Plate-Pure Lead). They are slightly higher voltage than normal AGM’s

Badair, If you need to unplug a charger immediately after charging it is not the correct charger for that battery. JMO Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Steve, DOD is depth of discharge(%)
    Badair, If you need to unplug a charger immediately after charging it is not the correct charger for that battery. JMO Bob
    Just telling ya the instructions when using a lithium charger with AGM. We were using a separate charger for the AGM so we didn’t have to do that

11. Member
    Just making the point that unless you are going to stand by and monitor the battery you are very likely to overcook any lead acid battery. Especially AGM as you can’t add water after it vents.
    Means ruined battery and possibly worse. Just a safety issue that is not worth the risk. JMO Bob

12. Member
    I think what I will do now that Mercury allows Lithium is switch to the 12v125ah Ionic Lithium Marine Cranking Battery as I know my charger will work with that battery.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

13. Member
    I bought one this year and I am not impress with the X2 as I hit the 11 volt warning at the end of every trip. This battery performs the same as a cheaper Cabelas AGM....

14. Member
    I bought one this year and I am not impress with the X2 as I hit the 11 volt warning at the end of every trip. This battery performs the same as a cheaper Cabelas AGM....

15. Member
    Kinda worries me since I was told that I could leave the ionic charger plugged in for long periods with an AGM to keep it topped off...

That being said the last two years of having X2 with ionic charger I normally plug in overnight after day of fishing, then unplug and plug in the night before the next day of fishing
    Last edited by PJ-Rohlf; 10-27-2022 at 12:42 PM.
    Fish have fins, they swim

16. Member
    A couple of possibilities:

With your first battery, assuming your Ranger came with a DP Delta Volt charger, there have been issues with that charger not being able to bring the X2 to full charge. That would reduce capacity a lot quicker and shorten life span of the battery.

With the second battery and the Ionic charger, the float voltage seems a little high (14.01). Typical float voltage for an AGM is lower (13.2-13.8). Even the Ionic charger specifies float voltage to be 13.8. Not sure if that higher voltage is enough to cause gassing and damage to an AGM.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S