BBC SPONSOR

2015 G2 250HO puking steering fluid into/behind silver trim caps/covers!

Last time I tried to get on plane last night the engine was turned hard to one side and I noticed the steering wheel feel like it was slipping when turning it back to the middle. I checked the fluid file access and noticed that it was low so I dug around under the mount and swivel section and could only find a drop or 2 of fluid.

This morning I added fluid and the steering feels better but it keeps loosing fluid. I pulled off the cap on the trim just to see if I could see anything in there (etec newbie here) and to my horror there was at lease 3-4 oz of steering fluid behind the starboard cap.

what can cause this? DPS failure? Can I find parts for this? Am I going to need to rob a bank?

Maybe this will help...

1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

3. Member
    Sorry to say but there are issues in the midsection. This is a known problem. Is the engine under warranty? Highly recommend having an Evinrude dealer inspect the system then contact BRP. The repair has been replacement of the stern bracket midsection assembly.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    no, there is no warranty. Evinrude didn’t start bribing people into buying these with a 10 year warranty until later on. This one will be all on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    Sorry to say but there are issues in the midsection. This is a known problem. Is the engine under warranty? Highly recommend having an Evinrude dealer inspect the system then contact BRP. The repair has been replacement of the stern bracket midsection assembly.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Looks like I have 2 separate issues. The fluid behind the caps is tilt/trim fluid and it is a result of the pin being installed incorrectly. Both nuts are finger tight and there is about .15” more sticking out to the starboard side. Guess I have a Friday engine.

the steering issue is more puzzling now. It keeps drawing fluid from the helm reservoir but I can’t locate a leak. Can this tilt/trim stern midsection leak internally somewhere?

I don't know enough about how the DPS and PT&T are designed within the stern swivel unit to be of any help to you. Is that oil behind the tilt tube cover always PT&T fluid? I don't know. The stern swivel assembly is a bit of a mystery and I can't get a thorough understanding of it from the manual. Wish I could help you more.

If your tilt tube is off center that might be good news. The TST that I posted above suggests that problem can easily be fixed by re-centering. So maybe you might get lucky and not need to replace the entire unit.

Also, another little bit of good news is that if you do have to replace it, I think the part is now available again. It has been on backorder but I got notified today that mine has shipped.

Hopefully, one of the pros will step in and try to answer your questions.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    I cannot find where this stupid thing is loosing fluid. I put the helm under pressure with fluid and worked the wheel back and forth for about 5 minutes….nothing. Not a drip anywhere! Topped off the helm, put the plug in and went inside for the evening. Went out this morning and pulled the helm plug and the fluid is down past the elbow. Still not a single sign of a drip anywhere.

had dealer attempt to order the assembly and its still back ordered! And now I get to spend $6100 on it when it does become available. One last insult is that this damn thing has already been replaced on my boat about 2 months after it came home from the dealer back in 2015.

Don't be discouraged by the backorder. Three weeks ago I was told the same. I brought my boat back home expecting a delay of many months. (I had heard from several others where it took up to 8 months to get the part.) Two weeks later my stern/swivel steering manifold showed up. Another G2 owner had that experience recently, as well. Maybe some mix up from the recent computer hack, IDK. I read somewhere that they were going to run a new batch but surely this is too soon to be from that. Either way, hopefully, your's will come in soon.

Still, I'm curious where your leak is coming from. I don't see how the oil behind your tilt tube cover would be power steering fluid.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    i can’t find a hydraulic leak anywhere and the fluid level hasn’t changed at all in over a week of hard use. I’ve put somewhere around 20 hard hours on it with no change. I’m thinking it might be fine. I’ll perform the TSB on the swivel pin when I get home and it that doesn’t leak anymore then I may just be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Don't be discouraged by the backorder. Three weeks ago I was told the same. I brought my boat back home expecting a delay of many months. (I had heard from several others where it took up to 8 months to get the part.) Two weeks later my stern/swivel steering manifold showed up. Another G2 owner had that experience recently, as well. Maybe some mix up from the recent computer hack, IDK. I read somewhere that they were going to run a new batch but surely this is too soon to be from that. Either way, hopefully, your's will come in soon.

Still, I'm curious where your leak is coming from. I don't see how the oil behind your tilt tube cover would be power steering fluid.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    i can’t find a hydraulic leak anywhere and the fluid level hasn’t changed at all in over a week of hard use. I’ve put somewhere around 20 hard hours on it with no change. I’m thinking it might be fine. I’ll perform the TSB on the swivel pin when I get home and it that doesn’t leak anymore then I may just be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post