Thread: Today's rally

Today's rally

Q3 was supposed to be really bad earnings and the sources I'm finding are saying that it's up on earnings coming up . I'm confused

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    Q3 was supposed to be really bad earnings and the sources I'm finding are saying that it's up on earnings coming up . I'm confused
    The day aint over yet. BOA reported but I would expect their income to be up given interest rates. I will be interested to see when some of the industrials start reporting. Those are usually the ones that can indicate when we are slowing. My understanding is that banks usually get hit later when they start suffering credit losses which is usually towards the tail end of a recession. This market is like a woman with PMS.

3. Member
    No doubt

4. Member
    Bear market rally.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanboat View Post
    Bear market rally.
    And a strong one at that

6. Member
    No surprise we get a bounce when retail bought a record amount of puts last week. This market is screwing the bulls and bears eyes out! My opinion, wait on the sidelines with cash ready once a bottom is in which is not now. Look for real capitulation when the VIX spikes and that should be a good sign to start scaling in.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ETexBasscat View Post
    No surprise we get a bounce when retail bought a record amount of puts last week. This market is screwing the bulls and bears eyes out! My opinion, wait on the sidelines with cash ready once a bottom is in which is not now. Look for real capitulation when the VIX spikes and that should be a good sign to start scaling in.
    Yeah I can't bring myself to buy yet even on the deep red days. This fluff can't keep holding forever

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    Yeah I can't bring myself to buy yet even on the deep red days. This fluff can't keep holding forever
    Agreed.I am now just standing by on the sidelines watching for a while. Still contributing to the 401K and will increase it even more as the market goes down. Almost at the max. Just hanging onto the cash I have for now.

9. Member
    There are some individual stocks that look pretty good but the index itself still seems expensive because it is being propped up by the mega cap tech stocks. Some of the dividend aristocrats might start falling into reasonable value and these usually have low debt levels and low payout ratios. These are the ones I am looking to pick up.

10. Member
    Been DCA'ing into our positions throughout the month of September. Waiting until after earnings season and mid-terms before continuing our pace. Our investor policy statement for these months has always been the same year after year and takes note of election campaigns regardless of Bear or Bull market conditions. Always finish contributions to taxable accounts strong in December and Lump Sum our initial 401k, back door Roth IRAs and HSA contributions the first week of January. Usually then chill Q1 and go back to consistent DCA as income comes in.

Have only had to rebalance once so far (sell bonds, buy stocks) when we hit our rebalance 5% band. At first glance it was hard to do because we typically just rebalance into lagging fund types based on our set asset allocation %, but we hit the band when we hit the band. Even though bonds were on the drop as well (albeit it not as much), the IPS send to the exchange (inside the 401k) so just unemotionally pulled the lever and keep things moving.

Having our plan the past 10 years for investing, it's easy to remove speculation from our investment behavior. Just coldly execute the plan and revisit it once a year to make sure we're still heading for the destination. Haven't had to adjust course outside the plan yet!