Thread: suzuki repower

suzuki repower

Currently have a 200 optimax Looking to repower with a 200 hp 4 stroke.

Seems like there are several different models for a zuke 200. Can anyone enlighten me as to what the difference would be?

Also looking at pricing on line. How are the online prices so cheap? Are these legit? specifically the yamahaoutboards website.

Looks like they ship from overseas.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

The 200 comes in a I4 configuration. You have the standard DF200A or AP and then the DF200SS. The difference between the two is the lower unit ratio with the A/AP having a 2.50 to 1 and the SS have a 2.0 to 1 ratio. The AP model is an electronic shift control and the other are mechanical.

I would steer clear of the purchaing online deal and just go to a local dealer. prices are slightly lower than Merc and Yamaha but not by much these days. My guess is 17-19k for a 200 installed
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Thanks for the feedback. I have got to say, the online has piqued my interest. $10-12K for the motor and $1K-2K to have a local dealer mount and setup seems like a lot of savings. Have you had any experience with the online sellers or know of anyone who has?

Thanks

4. Member
    “If its too good to be true, it always is”.

Scammers. Don’t get sucked in.

5. Member
    Current quote on a Suzuki DF200ATX is $20,200 installed including controls and a SS prop. Does not include sales tax. So $21,000-22,000.

I would not consider buying from an online source. Who is going to do your installation? If I was a dealer and you shipped me a motor and asked me to install it.....I can guarantee it would be about $4000 to install it....plus controls, plus it would be at the end of the priority list.....so 6-10 weeks......and I probably wouldn't prioritize your rig when it came to servicing the warranty.

But go ahead and try to move a 560 lb motor plus crate yourself. And what do you do when the motor is damaged when shipped to you? You will be out the $12,000 and trying to return your crate to India or Malaysia.

6. Member
    Clark Marine TN. I dealt with Justin.
    Some dealers post on line what motors they have. Prices too.
    With the motor shortage, it’s hard to go down the street to a local dealer and expect to get a motor.
    good luck

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crawlerHarness View Post
    Current quote on a Suzuki DF200ATX is $20,200 installed including controls and a SS prop. Does not include sales tax. So $21,000-22,000.

I would not consider buying from an online source. Who is going to do your installation? If I was a dealer and you shipped me a motor and asked me to install it.....I can guarantee it would be about $4000 to install it....plus controls, plus it would be at the end of the priority list.....so 6-10 weeks......and I probably wouldn't prioritize your rig when it came to servicing the warranty.

But go ahead and try to move a 560 lb motor plus crate yourself. And what do you do when the motor is damaged when shipped to you? You will be out the $12,000 and trying to return your crate to India or Malaysia.
    Suzuki in Australia will not provide warranty coverage for motors brought in privately from overseas. They call these “grey imports”.

Possibly the same thing may apply in the US.

Thanks for the feedback

9. Member
    I took an Evinrude off my bass boat and installed a 175DF Suzuki by myself, but I was much younger then, about 72 or so. I bought a used mechanical jackplate for $100 so I could adjust the motor height.
    It's not rocket science, and the tachometers/warning system are rather inexpensive. An engine hoist does a great job of manipulating the motors.

10. Member
    My buddy and I installed a 1986 DT 150 Super Six (brand new/never used) on a Gator Trax Strike Series 21'. It was challenging, but it will have to do until I find a 250-300 (boat is rated for 300). When one pops up, I refuse to pay the inflated price. Maybe things will return to normal someday...maybe not.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSN671 View Post
    My buddy and I installed a 1986 DT 150 Super Six (brand new/never used) on a Gator Trax Strike Series 21'. It was challenging, but it will have to do until I find a 250-300 (boat is rated for 300). When one pops up, I refuse to pay the inflated price. Maybe things will return to normal someday...maybe not.
    Hey, let us know how the motor did.

12. Member
    Nearly finished with break-in. Running the original 26 3 blade that came with it. Right around 53 so far. I would post pictures if I knew how.

13. Member
    Yeah I'm too dumb to post pix too, I got millions of good ones.

14. Banned
    Been checking out for a new 4 stroke , Mercury 90HP , and the Suzuki 90HP . I or we do not see that many Suzuki OB on bass boats in New England,mostly in the saltwater. Lots of Mercs. The Suzuki looks impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by crawlerHarness View Post

I’d say that pricing is pretty real world. I priced out a new DF115 for our deck boat a couple months ago and the “rough” quote I got was $18k motor, controls, gauges and install. I say rough because we did not put pen to paper but went with the dealership owners ballpark numbers as I was evaluating other options as well.