SHO cut off on plane

New to me boat. 2016 Yamaha 250 SHO. New Yamaha powerhead 25 hours ago. I was out today for the 3rd time with this motor. I was cruising around 3900 RPMs and the motor cut off like someone pulled the kill switch. I was a little dumbfounded but it cranked back up and I went around the corner and fished. Couple more short runs after that. Then the next run I was running down the lake same RPMs and the motor cut off again. Engine temp was good no alarms, but this time it wouldn’t start. It would try to crank but wouldn’t start. Got my buddy to tow me in. After searching on here I checked the fuses and they were all good. I tried pumping the bulb on the water and never could get it firm after finding it back under the transom. My optimax would firm up after a couple pumps but I don’t know about the SHOs. Battery connections are tight. Oil looked good as I just changed it. Seems like maybe a fuel problem to me but I really have no idea. Does anyone have any suggestions I can check before taking it to a shop?

2. Member
    If your fuel bulb and line is a 2016 year, I would recommend replacing with new, that bulb should be hard with fuel at all times. This would be from on board fuel-water separator filter to fuel connection on engine. Also replace fuel-water separator filter. Also engine fuel filter on front of engine. You did not mention of a recent engine maintenance task. No fuel flow=No start. Your next thing would be Yamaha Technician to test fuel system. Hope you get it going!

RangerZ - IONIC Batteries, Lithiumhub.com

I would check the fuel line right where it enters the engine cowling and goes to the fuel filter. That's a horrible angle and could have gotten pinched when they did the powerhead replacement.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    If your fuel bulb and line is a 2016 year, I would recommend replacing with new, that bulb should be hard with fuel at all times. This would be from on board fuel-water separator filter to fuel connection on engine. Also replace fuel-water separator filter. Also engine fuel filter on front of engine. You did not mention of a recent engine maintenance task. No fuel flow=No start. Your next thing would be Yamaha Technician to test fuel system. Hope you get it going!
    on other searches here, folks have said the Yamaha sho bulb will never be hard and people never use it. I never used it the previous 3 times I took it out and it would fire right up. I changed the oil but haven’t changed the water fuel separator or fuel filter yet as I was waiting for the parts. I will do that now too.

5. Member
    My fuel bulb is at my splashwell, easy to check. It is always hard with fuel and does not need pumping. If it would need pumping I know something is not quite right. Fuel is not flowing through enough to keep fuel filter cup full and will affect the operation of the engine. I know fuel bubble's and line's can last many years, and some don't. I use the double valve one, a little more expensive but very good flow and no leak back. Could be your problem or maybe not. Throwing parts at your engine can get expensive, best all round would be a Yamaha Technician to find your issue.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    My fuel bulb is at my splashwell, easy to check. It is always hard with fuel and does not need pumping. If it would need pumping I know something is not quite right. Fuel is not flowing through enough to keep fuel filter cup full and will affect the operation of the engine. I know fuel bubble's and line's can last many years, and some don't. I use the double valve one, a little more expensive but very good flow and no leak back. Could be your problem or maybe not. Throwing parts at your engine can get expensive, best all round would be a Yamaha Technician to find your issue.
    Yea I'm certainly not going to throw parts, I already have the fuel filter and water separator, just haven't replaced them. I just wanted to check all the basics hoping for something simple before dropping it off at a shop for an extended period of time.

The slightest pinch in the fuel line will cause issues, just went through this with a repower. Make sure that fuel line is routed properly. The primer ball should get hard
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    My boat is a 14 model, actually picked it up Nov. of 13. I haven't used the bulb in years. Cranks instantly. May be a fuel issue or electrical.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

9. Member
    Could be fuse panel connection and or a wire issue. That’s what happened to my SHO. Thought it was fuel but it was electrical.

Mine a 2012, bulb has never been hard but cranks and runs without a hiccup, so far.

11. Member
    SHO cut off on plane

[/QUOTE]New to me boat. 2016 Yamaha 250 SHO. New Yamaha powerhead 25 hours ago. I was out today for the 3rd time with this motor. I was cruising around 3900 RPMs and the motor cut off like someone pulled the kill switch. I was a little dumbfounded but it cranked back up and I went around the corner and fished. Couple more short runs after that. Then the next run I was running down the lake same RPMs and the motor cut off again. Engine temp was good no alarms, but this time it wouldn’t start. It would try to crank but wouldn’t start. Got my buddy to tow me in. After searching on here I checked the fuses and they were all good. I tried pumping the bulb on the water and never could get it firm after finding it back under the transom. My optimax would firm up after a couple pumps but I don’t know about the SHOs. Battery connections are tight. Oil looked good as I just changed it. Seems like maybe a fuel problem to me but I really have no idea. Does anyone have any suggestions I can check before taking it to a shop?[QUOTE]

My fuel bubble was a 2007 year, I replaced it last fall (14 years old). Yamaha maintenance schedule say's replace filters, sparkplugs, onboard fuel-water separators. lower unit lube, even water-pump, on a time scheduled program. Not that the items are bad but to prevent failure's or issue's. The fuel bubble not being "firm" could be leaking back or have a defective valve, leading to inadequate fuel delivery. I hope you find the issue and let us BBC'rs know.

12. Member
    Very well could be any of what was already mentioned, mainly the fuel bulb, and it could also be electrical. What battery are you running? I run the same engine and that could be the engine shutting down from an over voltage code. Motors are designed to shut down if it detects an over voltage condition. Drop the trolling motor, turn on all electronics, fish around for 20 minutes and it fires up? Run down the lake and it quits running again while your under way? Don't discount an electrical issues if your answer is yes.

13. Member
    Found the issue. Fuel line running from the bulb to the motor mounted fuel filter was busted and had a small leak. Replaced that and the bulb and it’s back to running like before. Thanks for all the tips and help

14. Member
    Mine was not fuel bulb, its in bad shape, got it to start for a mili second and it smoked like back stage at a Snoop Dog concert. Im taking it to mechanic as soon as I can get a day off, its a 4 hour drive each way unfortunately. This is the first time Ive had major probs with a Yamaha, reminds me of my days running Mercs!

15. Member
    I’ve had the same problem ITS not fuel related . It’s shorting out either at the battery terminals or the connection where the starter cables bolt to the eng . Clean them up and make the connection VERY tight . Problem will go away

16. Member
    what battery are u running