AVX 1980 prop slipping

It came with a 23 pitch tempest with the plugs drilled out. I'll have to check to get the correct diameter. Is it normal for the prop to slip when turning if it's not trimmed down? I'm having to trim almost all the way down when turning pretty tight to keep it from slipping. I came from a Ranger rt178. It could be trimed all the way out and take a turn no problem. I was only running 25 to 30 most of the time to. Maybe slower. I'm assuming I just need to get used to it. I'm running in the 40's when this happens.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jm_middleton07 View Post
    It came with a 23 pitch tempest with the plugs drilled out. I'll have to check to get the correct diameter. Is it normal for the prop to slip when turning if it's not trimmed down? I'm having to trim almost all the way down when turning pretty tight to keep it from slipping. I came from a Ranger rt178. It could be trimed all the way out and take a turn no problem. I was only running 25 to 30 most of the time to. Maybe slower. I'm assuming I just need to get used to it. I'm running in the 40's when this happens.
    I personally have just came to the conclusion that the Merc 150 sucks for this boat, Only thing that helped was angled wedges and the wedges just helped get it to a proper trim level to get the bow up more. I have tried props, cupping, and wedges fixed the merc on the boat some.

Maybe going with a longer jack plate might help but not sure, It almost seems to me at speed not enough of the motor is in the water and when you start to trim the prop just loses grip. Before my boat cracked I had wedges when I got my boat back from Vexus my wedges were no longer installed.

-SMH

The plugs should be in. Put the plugs back in and your slip will go away. Plugs out are designed for 2 strokes.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith3510 View Post
    I personally have just came to the conclusion that the Merc 150 sucks for this boat, Only thing that helped was angled wedges and the wedges just helped get it to a proper trim level to get the bow up more. I have tried props, cupping, and wedges fixed the merc on the boat some.

Maybe going with a longer jack plate might help but not sure, It almost seems to me at speed not enough of the motor is in the water and when you start to trim the prop just loses grip. Before my boat cracked I had wedges when I got my boat back from Vexus my wedges were no longer installed.

-SMH
    No reason a boat the size of the 1980 shouldn't have a 200 hp as an option.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    No reason a boat the size of the 1980 shouldn't have a 200 hp as an option.
    Yep just a bit to big of a boat for a 150.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    The plugs should be in. Put the plugs back in and your slip will go away. Plugs out are designed for 2 strokes.
    I purchased some solid plugs this past weekend. I'm going to try them out this coming weekend to see if it makes a difference. The current plugs have a 3/8" diameter hole.
    2020 Ranger RT178C
    Bow: Garmin 93sv uhd & livescope
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Console: Garmin 73sv uhd
    Cumberland Crappie spider rig

Quote Originally Posted by jm_middleton View Post
    I purchased some solid plugs this past weekend. I'm going to try them out this coming weekend to see if it makes a difference. The current plugs have a 3/8" diameter hole.
    Plugs were out on my boat when I bought it. It slipped like crazy on the lower end. Once it stopped slipping it was like I just shifted into another gear. Once I put the plugs back in it completely stopped. Still not sure why the boat came that way.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    Correct me if I’m wrong but the plugs should have little to no effect on prop slip at speed on plane, if you’re blowing out the prop on corners when going 25-40mph the prop is loosing grip and is too far out of the water whether it’s trim angle, jackplate height, or the prop…. Blowing out coming out of the hole shot then let’s talk vent holes. For example, if I run a 3 blade on my boat that came with it I need to trim way down in corners to prevent slip, my 4 blade razor I can take corners without having to drop much unless running very high on the trim.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but the plugs should have little to no effect on prop slip at speed on plane, if you’re blowing out the prop on corners when going 25-40mph the prop is loosing grip and is too far out of the water whether it’s trim angle, jackplate height, or the prop…. Blowing out coming out of the hole shot then let’s talk vent holes. For example, if I run a 3 blade on my boat that came with it I need to trim way down in corners to prevent slip, my 4 blade razor I can take corners without having to drop much unless running very high on the trim.
    It could be that I just need to trim down more in the corners. This is my first boat that runs over 35mph and doesn't have trim tabs. It's a big difference in how much you have to trim it. My first boat was a small 15 foot fiberglass without power trim. My next boat was a ranger rt178c. It had trim tabs and was real easy to drive. The vexus is a whole different animal compared to what I've had in the past. The pvs plugs are cheap and if they make it any easier to drive with them plugged up then that's great. If not I just need to learn how to drive. I guess I was asking this in the original post but didn't get that across real well. It very well just may be all me.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jm_middleton07 View Post
    It could be that I just need to trim down more in the corners. This is my first boat that runs over 35mph and doesn't have trim tabs. It's a big difference in how much you have to trim it. My first boat was a small 15 foot fiberglass without power trim. My next boat was a ranger rt178c. It had trim tabs and was real easy to drive. The vexus is a whole different animal compared to what I've had in the past. The pvs plugs are cheap and if they make it any easier to drive with them plugged up then that's great. If not I just need to learn how to drive. I guess I was asking this in the original post but didn't get that across real well. It very well just may be all me.
    No worries, that’s why I wanted to bring it up as I think your question was misunderstood or misread. The ongoing debate on whether or not these hulls are underrated for horsepower is a separate conversation to what you’re asking. Obviously you can try the plugs and like stated, it’s a cheap experiment, but the PVS holes are intended for holeshot fine tuning and in theory have less impact on the 4 strokes altogether. From what I hear you saying you probably need a little more time at the wheel to learn this boat. With a little higher speed/performance the hull and with that the prop is running higher in the water and in a corner it’s loosing bite, running a little less trim in the corners should help, listen to the motor going into the corners, you can hear it when they’re running high. Have fun, good luck with the new boat they look like a nice ride from what I’ve seen!
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets