Power pole pump mounting question

So I’m servicing my Power Pole pumps myself for the first time (dealer previously). Everything has gone great but encountered something a little odd. One of the pumps had a plastic block with padding on the top underneath it that the reservoir actually rested on. The other did not have anything under it. Not sure why this is but in all my you tube perusing all of the mounting set ups seem to have the pumps raised on the brackets to where the bottom of the reservoirs do not rest on anything at all. Boat originally had one pole and I had the dealer add as second later. Don’t know if this is their doing or not but wanted to get some BBC expert advice before going back in with them. Thanks!
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

2. BBC SPONSOR
    When the pump is mounted on the factory Power Pole floor mount it leaves about a 1/2 gap between the bottom of the res. and the surface it is mounted on. The pump mount does flex... Some guys will stick something (like you have found) in this space so that the mount does not flex allowing the reservoir to come in contact with the bottom of the boat. I believe the logic is that is stops the reservoir from smacking the bottom of the boat and possibly cracking the reservoir. For example in rough water conditions.

I see it from time to time in customers boats.

Regards,

Rich

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrilla Gear View Post
    When the pump is mounted on the factory Power Pole floor mount it leaves about a 1/2 gap between the bottom of the res. and the surface it is mounted on. The pump mount does flex... Some guys will stick something (like you have found) in this space so that the mount does not flex allowing the reservoir to come in contact with the bottom of the boat. I believe the logic is that is stops the reservoir from smacking the bottom of the boat and possibly cracking the reservoir. For example in rough water conditions.

I see it from time to time in customers boats.

Regards,

Rich

Thank you Rich. Much appreciated.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    Thank you Rich. Much appreciated.

Happy to help Mike

Regards

5. mikesxpress
    With no detailed instructions from PP on the actual installation of the pump/reservoir inside the service well inclusive of spacing the reservoir off the mounting surface, one can only look at the mechanics of elevating the entire reservoir/pump assembly. If the assembly is suspended off the mounting surface by the bracket impact harmonics will occur due to the weight of the full reservoir/pump/wiring hanging off the bracket unsupported. My ME opinion is to install the assembly so it is level with the boat at rest on the water as that is the most likely place one would/could experience high impact harmonics via rough water. Trailering not so much. This level at rest also limits your fluid level in the reservoir from regularly contacting the foam filter in the cap which acts as a vent for the reservoir itself. Once the ISO fluid sloshes up on to that foam in the cap, any actual venting will push fluid out and/or the fluid drips out and can give the impression of a leak. I've seen this a few times on rigs that have reservoirs/pumps mounted in an extreme out-of-level positions. Adding a stiff foam pad under the reservoir after it has been leveled will dramatically reduce the impact harmonics.

*Note: When servicing your pumps, remove the foam from the cap and wash in Dawn. Dry and reinstall.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    With no detailed instructions from PP on the actual installation of the pump/reservoir inside the service well inclusive of spacing the reservoir off the mounting surface, one can only look at the mechanics of elevating the entire reservoir/pump assembly. If the assembly is suspended off the mounting surface by the bracket impact harmonics will occur due to the weight of the full reservoir/pump/wiring hanging off the bracket unsupported. My ME opinion is to install the assembly so it is level with the boat at rest on the water as that is the most likely place one would/could experience high impact harmonics via rough water. Trailering not so much. This level at rest also limits your fluid level in the reservoir from regularly contacting the foam filter in the cap which acts as a vent for the reservoir itself. Once the ISO fluid sloshes up on to that foam in the cap, any actual venting will push fluid out and/or the fluid drips out and can give the impression of a leak. I've seen this a few times on rigs that have reservoirs/pumps mounted in an extreme out-of-level positions. Adding a stiff foam pad under the reservoir after it has been leveled will dramatically reduce the impact harmonics.

*Note: When servicing your pumps, remove the foam from the cap and wash in Dawn. Dry and reinstall.
    Great info. Thanks!