Hit a sand bar - powered off - engine beeping - 1.5L Merc 115HP Pro XS - HELP

I was idling through an area in the middle of the lake (5 mph) when I found myself on a sand bar. I never came to a stop so I kept running the motor and got off it. Motor ran good at low speed as I went to my next spot. As I headed to the ramp I was running about 30mph and then I put her to WOT - ran for about 45 secs and then the engine started beeping. She was happy once I brought her down to 30mph or less. WHAT DO I NEED TO LOOK AT as far as cleaning her out and maybe replacing any parts (impeller)? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Motor is a 2016 2-stroke Mercury Optimax Pro XS in 1.5L and 115HP
    2016 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS Optimax
    4" Rapid Jack Magnum
    19p RAF3
    24v 80lb Fortrex
    Dual Console
    Texas Highschool Bass Association (THSBA)
    "Always go with your gut, it will never fail you..."

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Water pump, strainer, telltale fitting, verify proper coolant flow, verify engine reaching operating temp properly.

And Diagnostic Printouts to confirm WHAT fault is actually being set.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you, Don! I appreciate you...
    4" Rapid Jack Magnum
    19p RAF3
    24v 80lb Fortrex
    Dual Console

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    IF you happen to end up with high water pressure and COLD engine temps, come back for further assistance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Turns out the poppet valve was full of sand/dirt so it's being replaced along with the thermostat while we're at it. Just wanted to let y'all know what the culprit was. Thanks again for the help, Don!
    4" Rapid Jack Magnum
    19p RAF3
    24v 80lb Fortrex
    Dual Console

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're very welcome. Watch the water pressure and engine temps after repair- if you have higher than normal water pressure AND a cold engine, there is likely blockage in the adapter plate/tuner cooling passage.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You're very welcome. Watch the water pressure and engine temps after repair- if you have higher than normal water pressure AND a cold engine, there is likely blockage in the adapter plate/tuner cooling passage.
    Don - do we need to remove the power head to see the cooling passage or can we see it using a camera probe through the exhaust tube? I'm not getting an alarm but it's not getting up to temp properly. When I'm running on plane it's at 80, when I come off plane it hits 120 but then drops to 100. Tstat is a 140. Interesting to note - if I sit there on idle for 5-7 mins I get a 6 beep alarm, otherwise it runs great?
    Last edited by TxBassin; 11-09-2022 at 09:39 PM.
    4" Rapid Jack Magnum
    19p RAF3
    24v 80lb Fortrex
    Dual Console

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The powerhead and likely the adapter plate DO need to come off to address this passage.

9. Member
    The powerhead and likely the adapter plate DO need to come off to address this passage.
    Thanks, Don - was hoping that wasn't the case! I'll let you know how it goes...
    4" Rapid Jack Magnum
    19p RAF3
    24v 80lb Fortrex
    Dual Console

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The passage in question is quite small... perhaps 1/8" ID (or smaller).

11. Member
    Hi Don – here’s where we are now:

Took the power head off, there was a little sand in the adaptor plate but not much. Nothing seems to be clogged up and the water dump thru the plate is clear – I'm starting to suspect the poppet valve is not closing as it should based on the symptoms we’re seeing - it points to that valve not closing or it’s leaking to a point that it's not holding water enough for it to reach temperature at idle. We replaced the thermostat and tested it - it opened at about 138 degrees. According to our scanner, the motor never gets over 85 or 90 degrees (verified with an infrared thermometer). Once the beeper gives us the six beeps, we get a fault of engine temp too low. But it does not trigger the guardian mode.
    I'm going to replace the poppet valve and the spacer it rides in. Do you think we need to keep going and remove the adapter plate or is there another path we should take?

Merc adapter plate.jpgMerc adapter plate1.jpgMerc adapter plate2.jpg
    4" Rapid Jack Magnum
    19p RAF3
    24v 80lb Fortrex
    Dual Console

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I doubt anything lower would be the problem- the passage I've seen problems with (be sure to probe it completely open) is the one marked below:

1.5L Merc adapter plate.jpg

I doubt anything lower would be the problem- the passage I've seen problems with (be sure to probe it completely open) is the one marked below:

Very nice prep work there
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member

I appreciate your opinion and experience on this, Don...thanks for your help!
    4" Rapid Jack Magnum
    19p RAF3
    24v 80lb Fortrex
    Dual Console