Thread: Santee

Santee

My buddy and I are planning a trip for early April. Planning to fish Marion. My buddy use to go with his dad but it’s been probably 35 years. Looking for advice for boat friendly places to stay, launch ramps, areas to fish and anything to avoid. Just any advice really. TIA
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    Fished it for the first time for 4 days the 2nd week of April this year and only caught 2 bass. A 4.5 and a 6.5, felt like winter down there also. We used Pax landing and C Alex Harvin III Landing, also whatever you do don't do any business with the Carolina King.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. We might have to adjust our dates lol.
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

4. Member
    April is an excellent time. I have lived here for a little over 30 years. Me and dad would come every April for two weeks. First year first day he caught a 10.2 largemouth. We had one year where fishing was tough and we only caught like 12 bass in the 12 days there, so we salvaged that trip by doing a lot of crappie fishing and a little bit of Catfishing. And caught alot of crappie that year out in the forest.

5. Member
    Santee State Park, Taw Caw Campground, Blacks Fish Camp all have rooms /cabins. You definitely need to call ahead for reservations. You can IM [I]nky Davie on this website, he is a guide on Santee and give ya some good info. Also, if you are looking for a guide, Inky would be a good choice Just my two cents.

6. Member
    We stayed at the State Park and then Poplar Creek during the last 30 years. Going to Stump Hole Landing for the 1st time this April. They have put in new cabins and have great reviews on their restaurant. We normally go the 3rd or 4th week of March. Decided to go a little later this year, the 1st week of April. It's a crap shoot on what the weather is going to be. Everything from 40s to 80s for temps. But it is still a blast to chase those fish in the cypress swamps. Had fishless days and 30lb 5 fish days. Short of Texas. California, or Florida, it is a fishing hole to catch the fish of a lifetime.

7. Member
    Look at Blacks Fish Camp or Canal Lakes, both have boat ramps and restaurants as well as cabins you can rent. I've never stayed or put in at Carolina King but I've never heard a good thing about it, always negatives and that the gentleman who runs it is an @#$hole and will tow your rig.

John C. Land boat ramp is the biggest ramp on the lake with plenty of parking and ramps, you could stay in Santee and drive there daily.

There's also Goat Island boat ramp and I think you can rent houses/ trailers around there.

If you get the chance, eat at the Summerton Diner. It's a staple around here and all of their food is great.

For the Summerton Diner.I eat 250-300 day’s a year at this place.

Taw Caw Campground and Marina has a 7 room motel the owners are very nice.

9. Member
    Inky, I need to introduce myself next time im in there. I see you up there all the time but have never introduced myself! My wife's family is from around there.

Quote Originally Posted by ckaihara View Post
    Inky, I need to introduce myself next time im in there. I see you up there all the time but have never introduced myself! My wife's family is from around there.
    Look forward to it.

11. Banned
    I have always stayed at rental houses on the lake with docks. Lisa Bair Rentals is who I've used.