Michigan Adverse Property Law

Anyone familiar with this law by chance? Have some questions. thx

2. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Not familiar but you got my curiosity so I looked it up. Interesting.

https://michiganrelaw.com/2021/01/11...n-in-michigan/

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

Interesting isn't it? To me, if it is your property, it should always be your property but I guess that makes too much sense. I have a neighbor that lives back in the woods a ways. His shed and garden are on my property. I found this out recently when I had a survey completed so I could harvest timber. Google Earth shows the garden was there in 2010 but not in 2006. It only has images in 2006 and 2010. There is no true way of telling when it was built since no building permit was pulled.

Now the right thing to do is to get a few cases of beer, round up our tractors, and move the shed and garden over 50' to a new location. But my integrity to do the right thing is questioned by this rule they call Adverse Possession and a neighbor that doesn't seem to want to play fare.

4. Member
    Quite a few years ago a guy I used to work with was approached by the state of Michigan telling him that his pole barn was partially on state land and that it needed to be moved. Well he fought it in court and won because of this law. He had been there 30 years and the barn around 17 years.

It is hard to believe that something built illegally is allowed to stay after a certain number of years. It just doesn't make sense. Lesson learned, have a property survey completed prior to buying another piece of property.

duplicate

7. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    Lesson learned, have a property survey completed prior to buying another piece of property.
    Surveys can change property boundaries when done with GPS and compared to old school surveys. It happened to me once when I bought a 70 acre parcel. The survey gained an acre...

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

8. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    Interesting isn't it? To me, if it is your property, it should always be your property but I guess that makes too much sense. I have a neighbor that lives back in the woods a ways. His shed and garden are on my property. I found this out recently when I had a survey completed so I could harvest timber. Google Earth shows the garden was there in 2010 but not in 2006. It only has images in 2006 and 2010. There is no true way of telling when it was built since no building permit was pulled.

Now the right thing to do is to get a few cases of beer, round up our tractors, and move the shed and garden over 50' to a new location. But my integrity to do the right thing is questioned by this rule they call Adverse Possession and a neighbor that doesn't seem to want to play fare.
    I fish up lake st. Clair a few times a year,
    oh but I’d suggest perhaps mmm maybe it just accidentally burn down, problem solved.