Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

SC alarm phrase?

Running my 2022 Mercury 250 4-stroke today and at 5800 RPMs the alarm goes off. The SC says “ignition STDBY”. The motor seemed to be running fine. 20 minutes later I ran her back up to 5600 RPMs and she alarmed again same reason. Any idea?

Serial Number?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Are you sure it wasn't Ignition- STB? Need the exact/precise verbiage (and still will need to get it on the G3 Diagnostic System to determine WHICH ignition circuit is faulting).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Sorry SN# 3B101468 You are correct - thanks for jogging my memory Ignition STB was what the SC said.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They'll need to reference the Full Reports and determine which coil is faulting (as well as whether it's a short or open condition). Not overly complicated- most complicated part is pointing out the CORRECT coil (weird orientation).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Thanks Don!!

7. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    On my smartcraft gage. To get the "descriptive code" what do I need to select? I don't recall it giving me a code number which is what I'm being asked for. Thanks

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    On my smartcraft gage. To get the "descriptive code" what do I need to select? I don't recall it giving me a code number which is what I'm being asked for. Thanks
    The button that has the word "MORE" above it.

Who is asking you for that? This information is not necessary when you get the G3 Full Report, as every fault that has occurred since the last reset will be in that report.

9. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    He wanted to make sure he had the right stuff in stock to fix. Thanks Don - I hit the plus sign and it said "ignition coil not working properly" "service engine soon". I couldn't get a code number to display.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That helps... the G3 Diagnostic Printouts will help to identify precisely which coil and whether the fault was an open circuit or a short circuit.

Coil identification is a bit tricky on these, as the coil locations don't exactly match up to the coil identifications.