Question Big Fiberglass rig to a AVX2080??

Bought a new house that is much farther from the lakes I fish in MN so I’m considering selling (have my boat listed for sale now) my Ranger Z521 to get something a little smaller, lighter to make towing 1.5-3.5 hours one way more enjoyable and easier on my pickup and fuel consumption. My Tundra has the 4.6 and handles pulling my Ranger but hills and headwinds drops the fuel mileage terrible!

Anyone make the switch I’m considering? I’ve never considered myself a tin rig guy but the AVX isn’t your average tin boat. (Other consideration would be an Express).

My new house is on the second biggest lake in ND (Devils Lake) and it’s primarily a walleye fishery (which I will do but don’t prefer) so I need to make sure this new boat can handle big water too. If it’s nasty out I just won’t go anyway.

Any input would be great.
    Thanks
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

2. Member
    Downgrading to a tin rig to get maybe 2 more mpg.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Downgrading to a tin rig to get maybe 2 more mpg.
    Majority of the lakes I fish can be fished in in just about any conditions with an 18-19’ boat. I’ve thought about downsizing multiple times. Lots of positives with a smaller, lighter, more nimble boat.
    I’m by no means set on a tin rig, this was one of several directions I’m contemplating.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

4. BBC SPONSOR
    I went from a VX21 to a 2080, love it.

ZX200 to a 1880 AVX. No regrets.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    I went from ZX250 to AVX2080, don’t expect it to be anything like your Ranger, the ride will be a little rougher, backing is totally different and speed 61 to 64. I fish Rayburn and Toledo with no troubles and don’t regret the purchase but its not a glass boat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetReel;[URL="tel:12709528"
    12709528[/URL]]Bought a new house that is much farther from the lakes I fish in MN so I’m considering selling (have my boat listed for sale now) my Ranger Z521 to get something a little smaller, lighter to make towing 1.5-3.5 hours one way more enjoyable and easier on my pickup and fuel consumption. My Tundra has the 4.6 and handles pulling my Ranger but hills and headwinds drops the fuel mileage terrible!

Anyone make the switch I’m considering? I’ve never considered myself a tin rig guy but the AVX isn’t your average tin boat. (Other consideration would be an Express).

My new house is on the second biggest lake in ND (Devils Lake) and it’s primarily a walleye fishery (which I will do but don’t prefer) so I need to make sure this new boat can handle big water too. If it’s nasty out I just won’t go anyway.

Any input would be great.
    Thanks
    I am glad you posted this, I am in the same boat you are … I have a 2006 Triton LTS220 that I purchased (ordered) new … repose red engine in 2016 to 200 Verado. Boat is very well rigged including 50 gallon Creekbank Bait Tank. I ran a Striper/Hybrid guide service for several years (StriperMemories channel on YT). I can do all of the various fishing methods I use with the AVX 1980c with the exception of gizzard Shad fishing on the Cumberland river. For these trips, my friend and I are just going hire a guide … he can get the bait, bait our hooks, and net our fish. I am going to order the single axle Aluminum trailer. My goal is to get away from the requirement for a full size 4WD pickup. I want to switch to a cross-over type vehicle and appreciate any guidance from this group. I currently have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD … it gets very good mileage until you hook the boat up!