Mattamuskeet with bass boat

Staying right by Lake Mattamuskeet on a hunting trip. Was considering taking my boat and hit the lake after the hunt. I have heard its almost not fishable on a bass boat due to the depth??? I am just looking to kill some time after hunting. How bout the canals?

2. Member
    Haven’t been in quite some time but definitely shallow most of the lake. We’d run with jon boats but probably not the same now. Main canal had depth except around old pumping station which had a big mud shallow flat. The causeways that run across middle of lake use to be good to fish from shore.

3. Member
    Depending on when you will be down lake and canals are off limits for boats from Nov 1 to end of Feb. Bass boat will fit in canals but they are not wide and you will probably have to idle wherever you go.

4. Member
    Going next week actually !

5. Member
    I think most fishing this time of year is from the bank at the culverts along the causeway across the lake.

6. Banned
    You are about 25+ years too late. One of the many truly great bass fisheries that the state let go to waste due to the loss/killing of grass. Used to be one of the best bass fisheries on planet earth, now it’s a gigantic bowl of wasteland. I would not haul a boat to go there as it is a great place to tear something up over maybe catching a mudfish or 2.

we put ours in back in 2004....i wouldnt waste my time again, or the hastle it was to actually launch the boat...hunt, then hook up boat and head to the intercoastal water way or one of the rivers close by...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

8. Member
    Look up Lake Phelps in Crestwell, north of where you are hunting. I would definitely take your boat and hit that. Not that far away.

Beem watching this thread with hopes it might be a place to go if it was good fishing. Might would drag the john boat down there with the surface drive and go fishing.

10. Member
    Showed up there with my boat, Basscat and was told when asked, NO place for a bass boat. Water to thin. Use tin boat,safer. So went to the Roanoke
    BassCat Puma
    250 ProXs
    Humminbird Electronic's
    Helix 12 G4
    Solix 12x2 G3
    Mega 360
    Mega Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex MDI
    Relion Batteries
    Dexter Suspension System

11. Banned
    You can literally wade across the whole lake. We never took a boat back when it was good. We went down, stayed a week and wade fished the entire time. I wouldn’t take a bass boat out in that lake.