Target Lock Sweep speed question

Is there a setting to control the speed of the mega live sweep mode back and forth/ The early videos seem a little on the fast side----hard to see for sure but the beam is so narrow that it seems like that a slower setting would be very useful.

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    It does move pretty fast so I dont really use it. Seen comments regarding this before. I suspect humminbird may address this with an update
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    I would hope so, I think I will put off the purchase until I know for sure----the fast speed made the screen pretty busy and confusing from the few videos I have seen so far......

4. Member
    I don't use the sweep mode for two reasons:
    1) moves too fast
    2) I cannot watch it for that long, therefore I'll be missing targets it maybe displaying

I do use the arrows and synching with the trolling motor.
    With using the arrows: you can do single taps and move the transducer incrementally or hold pressure on the arrow and the transducer will start to move slowly initially and gradually speed up.
    Synching: the transducer follows the direction that the trolling motor is facing.
    Hope that helps with any decision about buying or not.

5. Member
    A very slow sweep would be very useful...fast is useless for how I fish....the fish would be too hard to pick up when its sweeping fastish. I should be a beta tester...these are pretty big details they are missing for their products

6. Member
    I called Humminbird to ask if there was a possibility of an update that would change the speed setting on target lock in the coming months. I sure talked with the wrong person today---absolutely no help what so ever---she said if even if there was one coming they wouldn't share the info with anyone. I guess its top secret which makes absolutely no sense. One would think more information shared would means more sales--pretty basic logic. I am still wondering how it made it out of testing like that----for $3000 one would think the product should work realistically while fishing.

Normally I love the customer service of Johnson Outdoors---its outstanding but, not today---I believe I have spoken with her before in the past as well---not a helpful person. I also asked about Contour Elite support because I just got an email from Humminbird about the support ending in Sept 2023 and I had a few questions. She told me to call Contour Elite and told her you guys bought them years ago.

7. Member
    Sounds like she may have been giving out info that she shouldn’t have or was incorrect and was told to stick to the script. That may not be possible with the control board in the original release. It could be done with a knob hooked to the motor circuit steering the TL or integrate it into a new board and setup as an option on the finders. Neither would be a quick fix. I would suspect unless there are many complaints I doubt this would be much of a priority. Let them hear from you and others that are concerned with the issue. As for CS, like many positions going unfilled for all companies these days, more tolerance is required. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. Member
    She gave no info out and said even if there was a fix coming they wouldn't say.

For me that makes no sense from a business standpoint...more info=more sales.

I want to buy it on Black Friday but, I will now wait until there is more clarity....

I’ve had the Rite-Hite with the very slow 3 RPM sweep. A good unit. And now I have the TargetLock with three times the sweep speed (guess). With both sweep functions, you still have to stop sweeping and go back to what you just saw. Initially I thought the Rite-Hite with the 3 rpm speed was the way to go. Now that I have plenty of seat time behind the TargetLock, I find it more efficient especially if you are moving at a 30%+ pace with the Ultrex. My ML display easily displays any change on the screen. Normally, I just step on a direction arrow and go back thru the 120° sweep by tapping a directional key to examine what I just saw. FYI in case you didn’t read it in the manual, the longer you step on a directional arrow the faster TargetLock rotates. Single taps gives you incremental rotation.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    I’ve had the Rite-Hite with the very slow 3 RPM sweep. A good unit. And now I have the TargetLock with three times the sweep speed (guess). With both sweep functions, you still have to stop sweeping and go back to what you just saw. Initially I thought the Rite-Hite with the 3 rpm speed was the way to go. Now that I have plenty of seat time behind the TargetLock, I find it more efficient especially if you are moving at a 30%+ pace with the Ultrex. My ML display easily displays any change on the screen. Normally, I just step on a direction arrow and go back thru the 120° sweep by tapping a directional key to examine what I just saw. FYI in case you didn’t read it in the manual, the longer you step on a directional arrow the faster TargetLock rotates. Single taps gives you incremental rotation.
    I agree with the efficiency of the sweep speed. It ain't broke and doesn't need fixin'.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 10-18-2022 at 03:19 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    If it were me asking your question I would say its a go! 2 experienced people with positive responses. If I had an Ultrex I would be ordering. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Humminbird has always had a non-disclosure policy on any future features or fixes. I'm not at all surprised by the lack of information on any futures.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

13. Member
    Sure I understand that. I think their policy is very outdated though. Information moves fast now, and younger people aren't brand loyal anymore -- looking for the latest and greatest.

If Wayne likes the sweep speed it cant be bad. Look forward to getting it soon.....

Quote Originally Posted by foo View Post
    Sure I understand that. I think their policy is very outdated though. Information moves fast now, and younger people aren't brand loyal anymore -- looking for the latest and greatest.

If Wayne likes the sweep speed it cant be bad. Look forward to getting it soon.....
    FFS doesn't record history and gives real time updates so a slower sweep speed will have less updates per direction defeating the purpose of getting as much real time data as possible to see fish position.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    FFS doesn't record history and gives real time updates so a slower sweep speed will have less updates per direction defeating the purpose of getting as much real time data as possible to see fish position.
    I see your point but more data doesn't help if the beam passes over fish too quick to see them. I have no experience with target lock so I couldn't say if that's the case. I know when I scan with livescope it is very easy to miss fish if I go too fast manually scanning. Anyways, for $3000 I sure hope an update would at least give a guy an option.

I shot this short video a couple months ago. I thought it would be a good example of the TL rotational speed and targets. If you look closely I did scan a couple scattered fish, but nothing interesting enough to make me stop TL, do a slow thorough scan, hit spot lock and fish.

‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

17. Member
    HEY! I like my slow ass Rite-Hite!

18. Member
    I bought anyways, I have mega 360 and that works most days on the Ultrex 60 inch shaft---just big winds it doesn't work so, I figure the target lock will be fine or similar to the 360. I think Humminbird is just being extra cautious recommending only the 45 and 52 inch shaft. They definitely changed the box though---its say 45" and 52" only.