Thread: Rust Streaks

Rust Streaks

so I have noticed these rust colored streaks. Anyone have this before and what was the cause/fix?
    IMG_4058.jpgIMG_4059.jpg

Pretty sure that’s from a leaky transom. I’ve seen it before from holes that were not sealed properly. Like when people put in transducers without and sealant in the screw holes.
    Last edited by haus9393; 10-14-2022 at 01:58 PM.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

3. Member
    Mine is like that, I believe it is glue

4. Member
    i've heard transom holes not sealed as well, i guess my question is, does it pose any risk other than looking like crap and me not being happy about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmccormick24 View Post
    i've heard transom holes not sealed as well, i guess my question is, does it pose any risk other than looking like crap and me not being happy about it?
    Well if you have that draining that means that water is getting into the transom in those same holes which over time isn’t good.

MLF Invitationals Angler

6. Member
    so I have noticed these rust colored streaks. Anyone have this before and what was the cause/fix?
    IMG_4058.jpgIMG_4059.jpg
    How old is your boat? when did you notice?

Mine is 1.5 years and noticed it soon after I bought it, I have never heard leaky transom. I am going to take a closer look today.

7. Member
    my boat is a 2020. I noticed it this summer and just now getting around to trying to remedy

8. Member
    So is this from moisture in the transom? This is stuff you use to see on boats from the 80s and 90s with wooden transoms. I know these boats don’t have wood

9. Member
    thats what I dont understand either. And everyone says Phoenix service is amazing but I have emailed and called and left a message for Tim and I cannot get a response from them.

I think it’s some sort of material in the transom when it’s built. Like a resin. Maybe when water leaks in through the screw or bolt holes that aren’t sealed it picks up the resin and leaves the amber colored appearance as it’s deposited and dried on the outside of the boat as the water leaks down. Similar to like calcium deposits. Just my guess. More than likely your transom bolts are not sealed correctly. If you bought the boat brand new and had no work done it might be worth contacting your dealer about this as redoing these bolts is not an easy job.

MLF Invitationals Angler

thats what I dont understand either. And everyone says Phoenix service is amazing but I have emailed and called and left a message for Tim and I cannot get a response from them.
    I would reach out to my dealer or one closer to you. The hull has at least a 3 year warranty

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

12. Member
    betting you have water in the transom and as others have stated you have unsealed mount bolts, thru hull fittings or screws holding transducer/wires or even where the transducer wires go from outside the boat to the inside of the boat. Once you get the folks from Phoenix on the phone they will tell you to get the water out. If you open up the aft right hatch does it smell Musty? That was one of my indication I had trapped water in the transom on my 2016, when I switched out the jack plate there was a stream running out. You May need to pull the transducer mount screws and let it drain. Not sure how to clean up the rust streaks, but being the headquarters is 3 hrs away - I would be road tripping

13. Member
    update. I talked to phoenix. they explained the transom make up and assured me water is not in my transom. They said it is probably from stainless shavings trapped under the black part when they drilled holes and installed. he offered to have me bring my boat back to them and they will pull motor and make any repairs necessary. he gave me a suggested cleaning method and if it didn't work, they would light sand that area and repair. overall, I was happy with the time taken to explain the process to me and I will take my boat back to them this winter as they suggested and leave it for a few days. I appreciate everyone's insight and calling Phoenix is definitely the way to go. also, some suggested to go back to my dealer and don't think I will be taking my boat there or buying anything else from them. less than pleased with that experience but that's for a different thread lol .

14. Member
    I got the same info from Tim on mine. What did they recommend for cleaning?
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

15. Member
    Is there a built in SS plate in the transom??
    Does the rusty shavings surrounding the bolt pose an additional risk for the bolt to rust?

Several companies like Shuhold, Marine 31, Starbright etc make a rust stain removers, hull cleaners, etc that we use quite often. If that does not work a little sanding and buffing in that area should work just fine. I don’t understand what was said above as far as “light sanding and repair”. There should be no repair to the sanded area. Just saying with appropriate grit to remove the stain and then if that grit is too aggressive you would have to sand to a great that you can burn the finish in to get the appropriate shine.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

17. Member
    After talking with Tim and Jason at Phoenix and the dealer,(Richard at Mare of Aquia) they were all in agreement the metal shavings were from the plate when drilled and not being completely sealed the shavings rusted and the water dripped down. They have seen a few like this and it is cosmetic, nothing that would cause damage or to be worried about.

They all agreed it should and will be fixed. Tim sent the plate to Mare and they were able to complete the repair and 100 hr service in a timely manner. Time will tell if the repair holds up, but the initial response has been excellent.

The communication and Customer Service from Phoenix(Jason and Tim) and Mare of Aquia (Richard) was excellent! I highly recommend both.

18. Member
    Good deal